Community Moderator
# 1 Lucy Loved Star Trek
05-09-2013, 07:19 AM
I totally did not know this bit of trivia:

(Quoted from http://www.howtogeek.com)

Quote:
Most people recognize and remember Lucille Ball as the lovable and silly star of one of America's earliest and most loved sitcoms, I Love Lucy. What most people don't know is that Lucille was a savvy business woman and that she and her husband Desi Arnaz had amassed a small fortune and owned their own studio, Desilu.

It was at Desilu that acclaimed Sci-Fi screenwriter and visionary Gene Roddenberry got his big break. Roddenberry pitched the Star Trek pilot to the studio as a sort of Western-inspired space adventure. While many within the studio balked at the idea, Lucille liked the idea and the first pilot was approved and filmed. The pilot was pitched to NBC and was promptly rejected on the grounds that it was too intellectual, not enough like the space-western they had been lead to believe it would be, and audiences wouldn't relate to it. Lucille, a fan of Roddenberry's work, pushed back against NBC and insisted they order a second pilot. Ordering a second pilot was a practice almost entirely unheard of and save for Lucille's charisma and clout with the network it would never have happened.

Roddenberry shot the second pilot, NBC accepted it, and Star Trek premiered in 1966, thus beginning a new era in the Sci-Fi genre and laying the foundation for half a century of Star Trek fandom - an era that would have never come to pass without the intervention and insistence of Lucille Ball.
I knew TOS got it's start at Desilu, but never knew Lucille Ball's role in that.

I think there ought to be a DOFF or BOFF or some other NPC created in honor of Lucille Ball.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 05-09-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Captain
# 2
05-09-2013, 07:24 AM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.

Last edited by bluegeek; 05-09-2013 at 09:23 AM.
Commander
# 3
05-09-2013, 07:25 AM
Seconded. And yeah, I knew Desilu was involved but nice to know the story behind the story. Thanks for sharing!
Captain
# 4
05-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Character Suggestion:
Kill off Drake's character (any one of the LC writers can do a good enough job to put a plot together to cover the event) and then have Fleet Admiral Lucy Ball as the new 'mission giver'
Captain
# 5
05-09-2013, 07:59 AM
I like the idea. Could we have her hair as a costume option too?
http://i1151.photobucket.com/albums/o633/centersolace/189cux9khvl6ojpg_zpsca7ccff0.jpg

So inhumane superweapons, mass murder, and canon nonsense is okay, but speedos are too much for some people.
Captain
# 6
05-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Captain
# 7
05-09-2013, 10:01 AM
To bad she never guest starred that could have been cool. It would have been better than those Lwuxanna Troi episodes...
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Commander
# 8
05-09-2013, 10:06 AM
I love Lucy! Was always a great show.. nice to know she helped in making one of my most favorite tv shows happen!

Thank you Lucy!!

I wonder what the second post said that was so bad lol
Community Moderator
# 9
05-09-2013, 10:17 AM
Lucille Desiree Ball as a DOFF:

Human Civilian Entertainer

Traits:
Congenial
Emotional
Cunning
Founder of the Federation
Teamwork

Lucille Desiree Ball as a BOFF:

Human Science Officer

Traits:
Leadership
Teamwork
Superior Stubborn
Superior Creative

Space Skills:
Science Team I
Polarize Hull II
Scramble Sensors II
Viral Matrix III

Ground Skills:
Tachyon Harmonic I
Sonic Pulse I
Neural Neutralizer I
Hypospray - Melorazine II

(Eh, I agree she'd probably work better as a DOFF...)
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
Commander
# 10
05-09-2013, 10:19 AM
If a boff she should have a special ability--

"Wah"

Basically she whines "waaaaaah ricky but i want to be in the show" then the enemies get confused for a few secs lmao