Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Survivor of Romulus
# 11
05-09-2013, 10:22 AM
Well, I just got back from seeing it. My friend loved it, but it left me feeling rather cold (much like the previous jjtrek).

It's certainly not a bad film. There are plenty of moments that really gripped me (although that may have been a sugar rush from mistakenly eating out of the yucky sugared popcorn my friend had, instead of my usual salted stuff). But those moments were balanced out by some parts that just made me think either "Eh?", "They did *not* just do that, did they?" or "Oh ffs, why include that?!".
Btw, beaming from San Fran to the Ketha lowlands on Qo'nos (Kronos according to JJ) in one go using a portable device? Yup, little old Jonny boy does that. Going from not being able to beam while at warp to beaming someone all that way? That's quite a leap in such a short space of time!
That new boat of his is surprisingly good looking though. She looks a lot better on the move.

Imo, it's a film of extremes. Some parts made me grin like a feline from a certain part of England, while some parts just made me want to slap myself in the face. The extremes are a central theme of the film though, so it's actually rather ironic.
But sadly, the film feels like it was created simply because the writers absolutely *had* to put in one scene, which forced them to put together bits and pieces in order to make it more or less coherent.

What is less coherent however, is why didn't they just kill that nasty looking jjprise already? They were already halfway there by the 3/4 mark of the film!

Equally incoherent, is the fact that Kirk didn't go anywhere near the other smoking hot blonde on the bridge. However, he did boldly go with who I assume was a caitian chick. And who I assume was her twin sister. At the same time.

Which brings me on to the aliens. Good grief, they were fan-f**king-tasic! The klingons were exceptionally well done imo. The robo dude on the bridge was fun too. When the dude first appeared, my friend turned to me and said "Omfg, is that a goa'uld on the bridge?!". A pity that none of the big species of ST canon turned up though. No Andorians that I saw, no Tellarites and barely any orions. In fact, most of the characters seemed human, extras or no.

Some of the locations blew me away, especially early on. The childrens hospital scene was fantastic. It seemed set up like a silent movie of old; no speech, but with lots of movement and mood setting music in the background. Noel Clarke really did a stellar job in his tiny part. The early locations blended star trek tech with old architecture seamlessly, really bringing it to life. Seeing anti grav trolleys with tricorders and forcefields in the same shot as classic victorian and georgian architecture really hit home that maybe the star trek dream isn't all that far off, maybe we could apply it to ourselves. Rather than needing fancy deckplates and oddly shaped buildings with lumpy foreheads, we could apply the ideas to current structures.

It's a funny old film. I loved it, but I also hated it. Genuinely a film of extremes.

PS
Oh, I almost forgot. These new Klingons have whacking great codpieces. Cameo would be proud! (Trek link? Levar Burton starred in the video for "Word Up". Check it out for 80s'ness and codpiece.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by virusdancer
ARC: A way to Redeem Codes

Last edited by captainoblivous; 05-09-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Commander
# 12
05-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtern1ty View Post
Studios feel it wouldn't be real acting... wrong hemisphere.
Here's what frustrates the hell out of me about it. Without going into Khan's backstory since as Trek fans, we all know it anyways, it was a 1960s aesop about colonialism, eugenics, and nationalism (it was called the Eugenics Wars for gods' sake, you don't get more Roddenberry-esque anvilicious than that). It was whitewashed in DS9 and Enterprise to be less about eugenics as the actual historical concept and movement (notions of racial purity, ethnic hierarchy, selective breeding, and even extermination and forced sterilization of "undesirables"), and almost exclusively about genetic engineering.

When you add in the historical context of Khan being from India (in "Space Seed" he's described as an ethnic Sikh), India's history as a British colony and later commonwealth country, and socioeconomic and ethnic class-based distinctions and segregations that continue to this day, it becomes extraordinarily poignant and important as the social commentary for which Trek is so well-known. Especially that, in the 1970s India went through a five-year period of despotism in which eugenics was actually practiced, and for the fact forced sterilization of poor and underclass Indians still continues today under the purview of population control. But, that's neither here nor there for the time being.

You can't tell me there are plenty of Middle Eastern, Indian, or north African-British actors who are known and would be appropriate for playing Khan. Hell, Alexander Siddig is Sudanese-English, and lest we forget he played an Augment. I'm not saying Alexander Siddig should have been Khan, he's just one example of Western actors who are known and ethnically-appropriate.
Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
05-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theodrim View Post
When you add in the historical context of Khan being from India (in "Space Seed" he's described as an ethnic Sikh),
He was said to maybe be from nothern Indian in an alternate 1990s where we had interstellar spacecraft, parts of the Earth were under the control of genetically engineered tyrants, and this guy that was described as MAYBE an ethnic Sikh used a Mongolian title and didn't exactly dress like an ethnic Sikh and looked kind of like a white guy after just 15 years on a crappy planet and was played by a guy from Mexico.

And most of this is from an episode from a TV show that aired almost 50 years ago and hasn't been mentioned since.

So really I'm not going be to broken up about it.

Also

Quote:
Here's what frustrates the hell out of me about it. Without going into Khan's backstory since as Trek fans, we all know it anyways, it was a 1960s aesop about colonialism, eugenics, and nationalism (it was called the Eugenics Wars for gods' sake, you don't get more Roddenberry-esque anvilicious than that). It was whitewashed in DS9 and Enterprise to be less about eugenics as the actual historical concept and movement (notions of racial purity, ethnic hierarchy, selective breeding, and even extermination and forced sterilization of "undesirables"), and almost exclusively about genetic engineering.
Yeah, the original draft had Khan as a Nordic superman named Ragnar Thorwald, so I'm not sure if that was what they were going for.

Last edited by hartzilla; 05-09-2013 at 11:48 AM.
Commander
# 14
05-09-2013, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartzilla View Post
Yeah, the original draft had Khan as a Nordic superman named Ragnar Thorwald, so I'm not sure if that was what they were going for.
Yeah, northern and eastern Europeans never used Social darwinian and Nietzschean thought to justify the use of eugenics to further a radical agenda obsessed with Germanic, Nordic, and Aryan ethno-cultural heritage and purity. Let alone cause a world war, in which some guys by the name of Gene Roddenberry and Gene L. Coon would fight*, and later write a science fiction story about the continued existence and ever-present danger of those guano-insane beliefs.

That there's crazy talk. Star Trek was never social commentary about the 20th Century world, (then-) recent history, and serving as cautionary tales about the (then) future. It was all about der starsheeps making vit der pew-pews.

* In the Pacific front of this hypothetical world war no less, against an ally of those hypothetical Europeans, who were even more hypothetically whacked out of their gourd on ideas of ethnno-cultural purity, social Darwinism, and eugenics.
Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.

Last edited by theodrim; 05-09-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I've just got back from watching 'Into Darkness' I did genuinely enjoy the movie but as a good star trek film, it fails badly.

I hope I don't spoil it too much but think some of the story of Wrath of Kahn, add some big explosions, a terrorist that you feel some sympathy for, a mad bloke with a big ship, some dialog reversals and a horribly contrived ending that a blind man could spot a mile off and you pretty much have the whole film. Don't think about the trailers, they are a complete red herring.

It's better than the first film but it's not even remotely close to the real Star Trek 2, and I still want to slap Abrams.
Career Officer
# 16
05-09-2013, 02:14 PM
excellent, jjcrapverse is at it again as its typically all flash and no substance. i am not surprised if the fanboys of jjcrapverse realize how crap the film is and attempt to play it up anyway... thankful that hindsight is a wasted effort on some people .
T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW. Been around since Dec 2010 and LTS in Apr 2013.
Quote:
The highest possible stage in moral culture is when we recognize that we ought to control our thoughts.
- Charles Darwin.
Does he have a point on STO forums? makes you wonder, huh?
Captain
# 17
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
I read Kirk gets reanimated with 'super' blood.

Last time I called Kirk a zombie the thread got deleted.

That wrong, he would be a vampire and not a zombie.
Former Star Trek Online Player
Captain
# 18
05-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Quote:
I don't know, but I can't wait for the lightbulb to go on over the heads of people watching that the genetically-perfect south Asian is...a white European. Not just white European, but like "grand finalist in the Whitest Man on Earth Contest" white. His actor is also this year playing the role of an Australian albino, white.
ZOMG, and in NuBSG, Starbuck was a chick, and Boomer was a chick plus NOT black!

Guess what? Life went on.

Quote:
I mean, Ricardo Montalban as Khan can be forgiven, because let's face it, it was the 1960s. It was six years prior that saw Mickey Rooney and his ground-breaking, politically-correct, performance of Mr. Yunioshi in Breakfast at Tiffany's. At least Montalban looked vaguely the part, and had appropriate costuming. It's frickin' 2013, and we can't get an Indian actor to play an Indian character?
Montalban also played a Japanese kabuki actor in Sayonara. I really don't care. I care about the performance. Yeah, it would have been great if they could have gone back in time and hired a younger ShahRukh Khan to play, well...Khan. I mean, he was an awesome bad guy in the remake of Don.

But then how many pseudo intellectuals would have cried "Waaah - !!racism!!" because a non-white actor is playing the bad guy? Just look at Demolition Man and how many people crapped kittens over Wesley Snipes being cast as Phoenix. In the end, it's all just another excuse for people to cry about NuTrek. And it is crying. Sorry, no Indian actor was cast. If it makes you feel any better, there are people in India who have green and blue colored eyes, as well as lighter skin tones. And the name "Aryan" is a proper Indian (and Iranian) name.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
# 19
05-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
excellent, jjcrapverse is at it again as its typically all flash and no substance..
Because the TNG films were totally not like that.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Its set in an alternate universe doesn't effect the other Treks.
Khan is obviously half British half Indian ( a very common thing considering the two countries history ) thats more believable than the dude from fantasy Island.
It has old Spock.
Its better than any of the TNG movies and most of the TOS one .

Its not better than Wrath of Khan but you can buy that on DvD so whats the issue

More Khan is always welcome.

CAPTAIN! I'm picking up a Golden Age Supervillian on long range sensors. She appears to be mooning us U_U"