Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
J.J has been said to be Keeper of the gate:

Quote from Bryan Fuller;

?Bryan and I are big fans of Trek and have discussed a take on what we would do, and we would love to do it. I don?t think anything is going to happen in any official capacity until after the next movie comes out. And I?m sure it would be wisely under J.J. Abrams? purview of what happens. He?s the guardian of Trek right now.?

With the new film is pretty much done, and J.J. is now working on Star Wars, and he is on the record of saying quote:

"I don?t know because we?re just getting started. ? Even though I was never a Star Trek fan, I felt like there was a version of it that would make me excited, that I would think ?that?s cool, that feels right, I actually would want to see that?.

? With Star Wars ? I feel like I can identify a hunger for what I would want to see again and that is an incredibly exciting place to begin a project. The movies, the worlds could not be more different but that feeling that there?s something amazing here is the thing that they share. "

So IMO, and I don't know about you guys, I feel it's time to let the two Bryans run with the Trek ball now, and let J.J. have his fun with SW.

#1 They WANT to make a NEW TV Series.

#2 We WANT a New TV series.

so.................

I say Make it so. What say you all? How can we as fans get this ball started. It's time for a new show, been to long of a wait for me, not sure how you all feel about it.

Any ideas on this topic?
Career Officer
# 2
05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
To be honest I dunno if a new ST series can work in todays climate...

Yea the blow up pew pew is awesome for the silver screen, but surely that is not what we want for the small one...

I'd like to be proven wrong. Please let me be wrong...
Captain
# 3
05-02-2013, 07:25 AM
First, I think we should give JJ credit for saving the franchise from oblivion. If he hadn't made a reboot, and if it hadn't succeeded the way it did, we'd probably never get another Trek production. Ever.

Now, with that out of the way ... I want more Trek on TV! Make it so!
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Captain
# 4
05-02-2013, 07:43 AM
You know I was thinking, maybe the netflix idea might be the way to go with any new show. They can make 13 episodes, and post them on a service like netflix. Just saying might be the best way right now, that way it will be done and over with. Just a thought really, at least we wouldnt have to wait to see the next part, the only wait would be with a net season. lol
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
05-02-2013, 07:47 AM
I could go for more Trek on TV. Hell I'd even give Enterprise another go if it ever got a 5th season.
But I say let's have something new...
Star Trek: DTI (Department of Temporal Investigations) - almost like NCIS:Los Angeles in space. Undercover work (read temporal incursions), multi-background group, crime solving, hidden foes, etc.

Star Trek: Bird of Prey - Give us a Star Trek with the Klingons as the main protagonists.

Someone could even take Peter David's New Frontier and make a go of it on the small screen... I'd love to see how they would do Kebron... A wall with feet and eyes?
Rihannsu
# 6
05-02-2013, 07:50 AM
I'll take what ever Star Trek I can get. Ideally something like TNG or DS9 in the Prime universe but if it needs to be in the alt universe then fine. If it needs to be a more action orientated show, fine.

Sci-fi on TV struggles to get viewers in this day and age to hang around past a season or 2. There are a lot of reasons why but it's going to take something a little different for it to be a success.

The big absence of any trek show for a while and space sci-fi in general, coupled with the films success might be enough to get people interested, but it would need to hit the ground running. Most Trek shows tend to have a lacklustre season 1. that is not something we can afford.

maybe it has to go down the netflixs route, i dont know?

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Captain
# 7
05-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerashari View Post
To be honest I dunno if a new ST series can work in todays climate...

Yea the blow up pew pew is awesome for the silver screen, but surely that is not what we want for the small one...

I'd like to be proven wrong. Please let me be wrong...
If STO has proven anything it is that the Star Trek fan base still does not want mindless pew pew action.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Lieutenant
# 8
05-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
If STO has proven anything it is that the Star Trek fan base still does not want mindless pew pew action.

The Star Trek fan base alone isn't enough to make a series for, not enough viewers.
It has to be popular to the masses not just us, if it were to work it would most likely need to be on netflix or the like. As much as I hate to say that :P.

Also an Enterprise reboot for the fifth season would be pretty cool, I was never a huge fan of the series, but I heard somewhere [I believe on these forums] that the fifth season would have encompassed the RSE/FED wars.
And me being a huge fan of the Romulan's, well that would make me a very happy nerd :P.

Last edited by realitynexus; 05-02-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Captain
# 9
05-02-2013, 10:41 AM
The movies have to be action!pew!pew! because the more cerebral storylines that made Star Trek what it is don't really play well on the big screen.

A new Trek show could (and, in my not-so-bloody-humble opinion, should) be more like TOS - a few main characters, an ensemble cast in the background that can step up, and a fair number of shows where the main conflict is relatively small, with only a few shoot-'em-ups for flavor. (Go through TOS and count the number of times the Enterprise fired her main phaser banks. Then count the number of times photon torpedoes were employed. Then realize that you can count those - the numbers aren't as large as memory might suggest.)

The show I wanted to see as a follow-on to DS9 or Voyager would have involved a long-range exploration ship, possibly another Intrepid-class (since they already had the model), checking out what had become of Gamma Quadrant since the fall of the Founders' empire. How were the Vorta taking the loss of their gods? What border skirmishes were breaking out, since the Jem'Hadar were no longer enforcing the Founders' will? For that matter, were the Jem'Hadar beginning to fracture, with splinter groups showing up? And what other worlds might be hiding in all those cubic parsecs of space?

Of course, being on the far side of the Bajoran Wormhole, the ship would occasionally be out of contact with Starfleet Command - much like the old days with Kirk and company...

Sadly, I have exactly zero pull with anyone anywhere in Hollywood, so my vision never came to be.
-------------------------------------------
I'm old enough not to care too much about what you think of me --
But I'm young enough to remember the future, the way things ought to be...

- Rush, "Cut To the Chase", Counterparts
Lieutenant
# 10
05-02-2013, 11:01 AM
The Dominion never fell, Odo saved the Founders when he went back to them in that...episode..I'll look it up and edit this post, though I must admit that is an intriguing idea .

Edit:
Quote:
The Founders themselves were nearly wiped out by a plague, which was revealed to be a biological weapon engineered by agents of the clandestine Federation agency Section 31, who deliberately infected Odo with it, in the expectation that he would pass it through the Great Link. The plague itself was reactive to shapeshifting and Odo's limited shapeshifting left him free of symptoms well after the Founders began to deteriorate from the condition. Julian Bashir was able to recover the knowledge of a cure from Sloan, an operative of Section 31, and manufactured a cure that saved Odo. While the Dominion was pushed back to Cardassia prime, Odo linked with the female changeling, curing her and simultaneously convincing her to surrender to the allied forces of the Federation. After the end of hostilities, the Founders were cured when Odo returned to the Great Link after a peace treaty was signed between the Dominion and the Federation.
Link to the information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_(Star_Trek)
The episode in question: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_You_Leave_Behind
Well a link to it's wiki anyway.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our people are warriors. Often savage. But we are also many other pleasant things.
-- Commander Di'on Charvon to Spock - 2268
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Actual join date: October 2010

Last edited by realitynexus; 05-02-2013 at 11:09 AM.