Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Galactic News Network
Login

Closed Thread

Survivor of Romulus
# 131
05-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Well i think there is better time say 2 am to 5 am when the server arnt full waiting to be played and as for the paying or payed member should recieve compensation due to the fact you guys are out all the time and it is a service we pay to play om demand
Lt. Commander
# 132
05-09-2013, 09:15 AM
I know I know. Server maintenance is a nuisance. But for all the criticism being leveled here about Cryptic, I always take solace in one fact.

At least they're not NCsoft.

Remember those guys? The ones that slaughtered City of X for no valid reason? Think about it.
Career Officer
# 133
Nothing, its a MMO and F2P, if you pay its by choice, It does not matter what people think about the downtime, they are free to try other MMO's if they are not happy with this one.
Commander
# 134
**insert QQ here..
Ensign
# 135
C'mon guys its obvious what happened .... They revived the old hamsters earlier in the week and the guys in the pet shop just phoned to say the Super Hamsters have just shipped in !
Ensign
# 136
Try and think Positive!!

Maybe they're setting up a Cool new Weekend Event for us All! Something Awesome! Something Cool! Hence the additional down time on Thursday.

Crossing my Fingers
Rihannsu
# 137
On last maintenance they said there will not be any maintenance on thursday but I knew that we can't trust when they said there will not make it today and I see I'm right about it.

I hope after this maintenance we will not see any server crash anymore before or after 21th
Career Officer
# 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake1771 View Post
**insert QQ here..
Waaahhh, I'm out of milk.....
Commander
# 139
05-09-2013, 09:16 AM
first off, neverwinter have its own server,it doesnt share the same server as sto.so for everyone saying neverwinter needs its own server, thats not treu.

i'm an enterprise administrator in a company,so i know my share of pc's and servers.

first off, a normal (windows 2008 r2 for example) server, needs a couple minute's to shut down safely,this is to prevent data losst,and crashing the programs and running service's.
this is a complex situation, wich take time, after the server saved all the data, it disconnects each primairy service one by one, until it finally shutsdown,i'm talking about a normal server, that doesnt need to update.

a game server,like the sto server, got far more data to save,and for more service's to disconnect safely, before it shutsdown.

server maintenance can be different things, a update for software/drivers, replacing a hardware part,it can be many different things.

when a server reboots, it does almost the same as shuting down, but reversed, it loads its primairy service's one by one, then most server check themselfs, does part a response to part b, and so on,after a own "security check"its gonna load all the data and game's.

only shutting down and rebooting a (game)server can take 30 mins,for booting and shuttingdown, so be happy they do their maintenance, and take the time for it.

or then can rush it,but dont be mad that you loose youre reputation system progress, or that youre brand new zen ship disappears,thanks to lost data.

i know for sure, that i dont wanna have to job they have, keeping the players happy, if they do maintenance its not oke, and when they dont do it, people complain about lag and demand a fix for it.
tis does not apply to everyone, but we all know that there are some people who do that.
and if someone here thinks he/she can do a better job as the people there themselfs, why dont try it? i bet you run away in a state of total madness after 2 weeks.

so far my short explanation about servers and miss - behavior, have funn all
Lieutenant
# 140
05-09-2013, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyan01 View Post
Oh FFS! I don't usually like to rant or 'go off on one' but seriously?!

It's UNSCEDULED downtime on a friggin GAME.

PLEASE STOP ACTING AS IF CRYPTIC HAVE COMMITTED SOME GREAT CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY!!

For pity's sake, go and read a book (though I wonder if the Great Entitled actually know what a book is anymore) or, god forbid, open that thing in your home called the 'front door' and try doing something that doesn't involve vegetating indoors in front of a computer!
You should take your own advice.
Closed Thread