Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
05-09-2013, 09:51 PM
EMH was an emotional cripple that lost the girl of his dreams to the ever pompous Chakotay and never realized he could program himself hair.
Data got it on with Tasha Yar and The Borg Queen and was a big enough prick to overwrite B-4's programing with his own just so he could cheat death like a boss.

CAPTAIN! I'm picking up a Golden Age Supervillian on long range sensors. She appears to be mooning us U_U"
Career Officer
# 12
05-09-2013, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepht View Post
EMH was an emotional cripple that lost the girl of his dreams to the ever pompous Chakotay and never realized he could program himself hair.
Data got it on with Tasha Yar and The Borg Queen and was a big enough prick to overwrite B-4's programing with his own just so he could cheat death like a boss.
LMAO That pretty much nailed it.

And I'm a big fan of Data.
Career Officer
# 13
05-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkwing43 View Post
Ok I was listening to these Trek guys talk on this topic. And the part about emotions came up.

Mainly it was why did it take Data so long to get his emotions, when the Voyager EMH got his emotions very quickly.

Both mainly ran off software, and both are non-living beings.

So............

Lets hear in your mind why the EMH learned how to feel, when Data had to wait on a chip.
cut right to the heart of the matter, its who would win a logic contest, but the doctor has won against tuvok on numerous occasions with logic and even got him to open up about a few subjects. as far as data is concerned, he is more curious then logic filled although from time to time some of that logic clashed against what data believes to be an emotional response sometimes turns out to be disastrous.

there is no doubting that data would win a math contest or a reactions contest vs the hologram, but the hologram has the advantage of logic over data.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
05-10-2013, 12:02 AM
One thing to remember:

They are both machines.

They are not alive.

They just run programs.

Sophisticated emulatory programs,

But just programs nonetheless.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Lt. Commander
# 15
05-10-2013, 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
One thing to remember:

They are both machines.

They are not alive.

They just run programs.

Sophisticated emulatory programs,

But just programs nonetheless.
But it was established they both are alive. Data was programmed to be self aware and The EMH was left on long enough to become self aware by himself. If anything he was more alive than Data. ( The EMH being a [beep]hole and all tis a human trait )

But the EMH in trek lore was not the first Hologram to become self aware.

Data still pwns him though.

CAPTAIN! I'm picking up a Golden Age Supervillian on long range sensors. She appears to be mooning us U_U"
Rihannsu
# 16
05-10-2013, 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakim5 View Post
Even the Borg were impressed with Data.
ummmm...what? following quote taken straight from Locutus: "The android, Data. Primitive artificial organism. You will be obsolete in the new order."

yeah, real impressed...
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Lt. Commander
# 17
05-10-2013, 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
ummmm...what? following quote taken straight from Locutus: "The android, Data. Primitive artificial organism. You will be obsolete in the new order."

yeah, real impressed...
That actually does raise a valid trek lore point. The EMH was newer tech. Starfleet couldn't recreate Data's positronic pathways BUT Starfleet did have a captive Moriarty program to watch and study its would be a no brainer that DR Zimmerman would spy on this chap and duplicate some of his code in the creation of the EMH and you have to remember the Enterprise computer created Moriarty to be more than a match than Data.

If this was the case The EMH could be self aware from the start up. In that way he could be declared Superior to Commander Data.

Also shows you that the Enterprise is a bit of a b?tch >_>

Survivor of Romulus
# 18
05-10-2013, 12:43 AM
The Doctor was programmed to emulate emotion so as not to "freak out" his patients

Data was not

emotion in a machine is a bad idea (imagine if the ships battle computer decided it didn't like bolians)
Commander
# 19
05-10-2013, 12:47 AM
answer: because its the best thing they could do.. not to give him emotions at all (only on rare occasions). data rules, the doctor sucks. emotions.. i mean, c'mon..
What ? Calaway.
Lt. Commander
# 20
05-10-2013, 12:52 AM
What gets me in the 2009 film the Cop-bot gets obviously angry with the young Kirk from the start. I know that universe has accelerated tech due to the escaping shuttles taking sneaky scans of The Narada but how does he hold up to The EMH and Data >_>