Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Rihannsu
# 21
05-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepht View Post
What gets me in the 2009 film the Cop-bot gets obviously angry with the young Kirk from the start. I know that universe has accelerated tech due to the escaping shuttles taking sneaky scans of The Narada but how does he hold up to The EMH and Data >_>
bot? i thought that was a flesh-and-blood cop!
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Survivor of Romulus
# 22
05-10-2013, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfang240 View Post
ummmm...what? following quote taken straight from Locutus: "The android, Data. Primitive artificial organism. You will be obsolete in the new order."

yeah, real impressed...
True, but that was from Locutus and presumably to show the contrast between Picard and Locutus. However, The Borg Queen showed considerable "interest" in Data, but we have no idea if that interest was simply to recover information from him.
----------------------------

Now for the whole EMH VS Data:

Data:

Data was compared to Pinocchio in several different ways throughout the series and movies. Data knew he wanted to be a "real boy" just like Pinocchio, but neither actually knew what that really meant or how to be once it happened. TNG contradicted itself several times because Data did in fact express emotions without the emotion chip albeit from some outside source.

EMH and EMH Mark 2:

The EMH was designed more as an Emergency triage nurse than an actual Doctor in many ways. Obviously Zimmerman's programming was flawed as we later learned, and because of those flaws even if the EMH Mark 1 was kept in service they would have had little to no interaction with the patient because of their lack of bedside manner.

The Doctor became obsessed with what was outside of sickbay and extracurricular activities outside of medicine more so than actually improving his emotional interactions. We also saw numerous occasions where his tampering with fundamental sections of his source code as it were resulted in extreme flaws in his personality matrix.

The EMH Mark 2 (played by Andy ****):

If I were the head of Starfleet medical I would have deemed the Mark 2 just as much of a failure as the Mark 1, except for the exact opposite reason. The Mark 2 showed an almost bipolar personality with extremely overactive emotional responses to even the most minor situations.

------

The Verdict:

Overall I would conclude that Data would actually win this one. Even without the emotion chip there were times where Data almost exhibited genuine emotional responses without outside interference. One example would be the Episode where Maddox wanted to dissect Data, or where Data Defied Picard to save Sarjenka.
Lt. Commander
# 23
05-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Quote:
bot? i thought that was a flesh-and-blood cop!
Yup. Its a robot at first you think its human then when it finally does catch Kirk its visor opens up and you see its a bot.

*EDIT*

Actually watching that scene again and looking at pics you can see gas mask style vents on its face http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...icer_2240s.jpg BUT the contours of the face is off no nose and stuff so unlikely to be a mask. Might be a flesh and blood human that has some sort of accident and has his "FACE" replaced @__@"

CAPTAIN! I'm picking up a Golden Age Supervillian on long range sensors. She appears to be mooning us U_U"

Last edited by nepht; 05-10-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Rihannsu
# 24
05-10-2013, 01:35 AM
Quote:
Yup. Its a robot at first you think its human then when it finally does catch Kirk its visor opens up and you see its a bot.

*EDIT*

Actually watching that scene again and looking at pics you can see gas mask style vents on its face http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/...icer_2240s.jpg BUT the contours of the face is off no nose and stuff so unlikely to be a mask. Might be a flesh and blood human that has some sort of accident and has his "FACE" replaced @__@"
well, according to this http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unna...ry%29#Iowa_Cop it is a human wearing a mechanical mask, though that's got to be a pretty uncomfortable mask
Quote:
[Combat (Self)] Your Kumari Phaser Wing Cannons - Overload deals 128698 (67705) Phaser Damage(Critical) to Borg Bird-of-Prey.
don't mess with the andorians
Quote:
Originally Posted by starswordc View Post
If it walks like an idiot, talks like an idiot, and acts like an idiot, it's a frakking idiot.
Lt. Commander
# 25
05-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Quote:
well, according to this http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Unna...ry%29#Iowa_Cop it is a human wearing a mechanical mask, though that's got to be a pretty uncomfortable mask
WOW. Would hate to be a future cop . They will all have noses like Mike Tyson :<

CAPTAIN! I'm picking up a Golden Age Supervillian on long range sensors. She appears to be mooning us U_U"
Captain
# 26
05-10-2013, 02:20 AM
Quote:
What gets me in the 2009 film the Cop-bot gets obviously angry with the young Kirk from the start. I know that universe has accelerated tech due to the escaping shuttles taking sneaky scans of The Narada but how does he hold up to The EMH and Data >_>
The 2009 Film is targ dung, nothing more or less. It's like STO: Just a special effect/product placement spectacle without any real lore or continuity. I wouldn't think too much about JJ Trek Wars Reloaded
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-10-2013, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytarg View Post
The 2009 Film is targ dung, nothing more or less. It's like STO: Just a special effect/product placement spectacle without any real lore or continuity. I wouldn't think too much about JJ Trek Wars Reloaded
Meh NuTrek is another universe and its a good sci fi action fic that doesnt effect my enjoyment of TOS. Its the TNG era thats a bit poo , to many carebears :<
Data along with Worf, Q and Seven were the better TNG era characters due to there random acts of BADASSNESS. Data would put logic aside and kick ass and screw the consequences when needed. He did seem sort of prone to picking people up by the throat @__@"

He's like a cross between Spock and Kirk. Thats whys he is a much better character than EMH.

Captain
# 28
05-10-2013, 06:46 AM
Quote:
EMH was an emotional cripple that lost the girl of his dreams to the ever pompous Chakotay and never realized he could program himself hair.
Data got it on with Tasha Yar and The Borg Queen and was a big enough prick to overwrite B-4's programing with his own just so he could cheat death like a boss.
Hair??

Picard was a mack who would put it about anytime he got the chance (Vash, Nella Darren, Marta Botanades etc)

Sisko was a pimp who who did all his best work with a shaved head.

Ilia was absolutely stunning and seemed a competent and well-liked officer

All bald...

In conversation to the EMH Mk II, the Doctor commented about having had sexual relations, and when the EMH Mk II began to comment, the Doctor cut him off, saying he made 'an addition' to his programme Given the Doctor's personality, I'm sure he wasn't restrained by average anatomical statistics... In my book, that's being a boss too
Lieutenant
# 29
05-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusdkane View Post
In conversation to the EMH Mk II, the Doctor commented about having had sexual relations, and when the EMH Mk II began to comment, the Doctor cut him off, saying he made 'an addition' to his programme Given the Doctor's personality, I'm sure he wasn't restrained by average anatomical statistics... In my book, that's being a boss too
But the Doc was too afraid (dare I say impotent) to tell Seven he loved her, except for when he thought his program would decompile.
Captain
# 30
05-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermudd View Post
But the Doc was too afraid (dare I say impotent) to tell Seven he loved her, except for when he thought his program would decompile.
Afraid? I disagree... As her physician and mentor, he knew his feelings towards her were inappropriate, would not be reciprocated, and would only interfere with their existing status quo. I don't consider that impotency or fear, but respect and knowing the boundaries.

Data only hooked up with Tasha because she was under the influence of an alien virus...

That's no better (in my book) than a sober guy doing his female friend because she's had a skinful and drunkenly comes onto him...

They maintained no relationship afterward, although he (in what could either be described as obsessive or romantic, depending upon one's point of view) retained a holo image of her.

Then there was Data's decidedly unhealthy desire to befriend Artim in Insurrection... I really liked Data as a character, but, that doesn't blind me to some of his more worrying personality traits...