# 11
05-10-2013, 04:23 AM
completed and appreciated
Lieutenant
# 12
05-10-2013, 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry5 View Post
Alright, as some of you know, I had a little trouble in the OPVP channel concerning what abilities to fit on my ship that weren't OP/Cheesy/whatever the buzzword is. Well, I know that there are plenty of differing opinions out there, and how cheesy something is tends to be on a spectrum.

So, I decided to cast my net a little wider for opinions, and create a quick survey on PvP tactics/ships/consoles, and what people think of them.

The link:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rvv...ahajA/viewform

It's just a quick set of 25 yes/no/under certain conditions questions, so it shouldn't take that long for you guys to fill it out.

If you have feedback on the survey itself or on tactics that you feel should be on the list, please feel free to share.

However, please bear in mind that this is nothing but an opinion survey, to find out your personal views on each of the listed tactics. I don't want this thread to turn into a flamewar of fleet politics or name-and-shame, so please keep your opinions to the survey. If you do not understand a particular tactic, feel free to leave it blank.

Think of it this way: this survey is simply a way to find out how each tactic is seen by the community. Nothing more. If, let's say 80% say that yes, you will know that about 80% of players you use the tactic on will probably be kinda miffed, and that's all. If you're fine with a particular tactic, go right ahead, I'm not gonna judge or anything.

I look forward to seeing your responses!

Edit: I'll be keeping this open for about a week, so expect the results sometime next Thursday/Friday!
your poll it worthless seeing how i can vote as many time as i want.
Captain
# 13
05-10-2013, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordsob View Post
your poll it worthless seeing how i can vote as many time as i want.
It is for no official purpose of any sort, resulting in there not being a point for anyone to game the results.

It is simply an informal poll, designed to do nothing more than get a general idea of what the community's views are like.

There is no logic, no profit, even, in anyone trying to game the results. Therefore, why would anyone want to do so, out of anything but pure spite?

Furthermore, voting multiple times is difficult for someone doing personal stuff, like me, to block. I could scan IP, but my country uses dynamic IP addresses, and so do many others. I could ask for username, but that would also work on the honor system. If I were to ask for email, I doubt many would give answers in such a case.

All I can do is simply trust that the people here are decent enough not to game the system, as there is no profit in doing so. I will do some common-sense filtering and analysis based on the basic statistics that I have learnt at the end, however.

If you choose to ignore it and deem it worthless, be my guest. It will still be of use to me personally, that someone feels so strongly about a tactic that he or she votes multiple times in favour or against it.

That said, if you have any suggestions as to how such a thing could be prevented, I'm all ears.

Edit: That said, 65 responses so far, with only one suspect string! Keep 'em coming!
Take it easy!

Ishmael@scurry5: A Nibbling Sci
"Squeak?"

Last edited by scurry5; 05-10-2013 at 05:11 AM.
Lieutenant
# 14 OK!
05-10-2013, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurry5 View Post
It is for no official purpose of any sort, resulting in there not being a point for anyone to game the results.

It is simply an informal poll, designed to do nothing more than get a general idea of what the community's views are like.

There is no logic, no profit, even, in anyone trying to game the results. Therefore, why would anyone want to do so, out of anything but pure spite?

Furthermore, voting multiple times is difficult for someone doing personal stuff, like me, to block. I could scan IP, but my country uses dynamic IP addresses, and so do many others. I could ask for username, but that would also work on the honor system. If I were to ask for email, I doubt many would give answers in such a case.

All I can do is simply trust that the people here are decent enough not to game the system, as there is no profit in doing so. I will do some common-sense filtering and analysis based on the basic statistics that I have learnt at the end, however.

If you choose to ignore it and deem it worthless, be my guest. It will still be of use to me personally, that someone feels so strongly about a tactic that he or she votes multiple times in favour or against it.

That said, if you have any suggestions as to how such a thing could be prevented, I'm all ears.

Edit: That said, 65 responses so far, with only one suspect string! Keep 'em coming!
Ok, man if you think people will not ?game the system? you have never worked in these types of matters and BTW I am just letting you know sorry if it offends you. People opinion is all they need to justify ?gaming a poll to sway public opinion in one way or another?, but yay this community would never do something like that. I just was pointing out a flaw in the system, but yay hope it helps you out in your build see you in space.
Captain
# 15
05-10-2013, 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warlordsob View Post
Ok, man if you think people will not ?game the system? you have never worked in these types of matters and BTW I am just letting you know sorry if it offends you. People opinion is all they need to justify ?gaming a poll to sway public opinion in one way or another?, but yay this community would never do something like that. I just was pointing out a flaw in the system, but yay hope it helps you out in your build see you in space.
I'm not offended. However, it's not like I can do anything to stop the problem, either, besides common sense. I'm not saying the community would never do something like that, but I just hope they don't. Having more responses would certainly help out, though.

Besides, not like this poll is going to affect public opinion or anything. People are still going to believe whatever they want.
Take it easy!

"Squeak?"
Captain
# 16
05-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Not to rain on the parade here, but I thought polls were against the rules?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom View Post
Frankly, I think the only sound advice that one can give new players at this time is to stay away from PVP in STO.
Science pvp at its best-http://www.youtube.com/user/matteo716
Do you even Science Bro?
Captain
# 17
05-10-2013, 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maicake716 View Post
Not to rain on the parade here, but I thought polls were against the rules?
Well, that's what I was thinking at first, but after a whole lot of hunting through the forums, I couldn't find a thing besides this:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/an...php?f=127&a=51

And that doesn't mention polls/surveys. So I dunno. Maybe it's in some old rules somewhere?
Take it easy!

"Squeak?"
Career Officer
# 18
05-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Polls, since when? I thought it was petitions that are against the rules?

I don't mind most of the stuff here. Well I guess maybe I do but I got used to it already.
If I had to make a list, I'd say the most annoying cheese in my opinion is:
#1 Runabout pets, #2 Temporal Backstep.
Warp Plasma and Theta are ok, if they weren't invisible half of the time!

Vornek@oberlerchner123 - Join Date: July 2008
Career Officer
# 19
05-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Right, it is petitions that are against the rules.

Click here and here if you are interested in learning more about PvP.
Captain
# 20
05-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoge00f View Post
Right, it is petitions that are against the rules.
Somebody should start a petition to change that...
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel