Lt. Commander
I was repeatedly crashing in load screen. "Server not responding" or just a loading screen that never progressed. I used CCleaner to clean out my registry of unused stuff and now STO works much better. Make sure to use the registry cleaner, not just the scan and clean.
http://www.ccleaner.com/ it's free and useful.

I'd be interested if this fix works for anyone else having problems.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Bump. Has anyone else tried this? Did it work for you?
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-16-2010, 03:48 PM
I analyzed but haven't deleted/fixed any files yet. Would you mind (for a laymen) explaining exactly what this is and what it does. I'm afraid to delete all those files for fear of messing things up even worse.

FYI- I've been having system wide stability issues today...not just in STO. i.e. even CoH locks up (sound loop) and I've run all virus, spyware, etc programs. Checked temps and looked at the system (which looks ok so far) but some reason things seem very out of whack.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-16-2010, 04:59 PM
The Windows Registry is an essential system file that houses a massive collection of details about your computer--where programs are stored, which helper programs (known as DLLs) are shared among your various applications, listings of all your Start-menu shortcuts, and pointers to the programs that fire up when you click on an icon. And that's just the beginning.

Practically everything you do in Windows is recorded somewhere in the Registry. For instance, the URL for this article probably has an entry now. The paths to the last dozen or so images or documents you opened are there, too, as are the details of the programs you most recently installed or uninstalled.

Here's the problem: If you pry open the Registry, you'll probably find it about as cluttered as a teenager's bedroom. That's because Windows doesn't efficiently clean up after itself as it goes about its daily business. It constantly creates new entries, but seldom--if ever--removes them after they're no longer needed.

Compounding that problem are applications that are too inept to uninstall all of the Registry entries they create; far too often, program upgrades and installers leave unneeded pointers in the Registry. So the Registry becomes bloated with unnecessary entries, slowing down your system.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/14995...p_your_pc.html

I cut/pasted from an article that explains it more clearly than I could. I've used CCleaner for years (on an XP cbox and my current Vista box) on my home PC and never had any problems just using the "fix all issues" button. CCleaner will offer you the option to make a back for your registry just in case.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-16-2010, 05:27 PM
So do you recommend just the registry scan or both it and the program/files (whatever the first scan is)?

And thanks for the explanation, I just get scared when I see something wants to mess with the registry.