Career Officer
# 111
05-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
The mips themselves get sharpened. The original image remains untouched.
Sharpened mips frighten me.
This thread needs more dancing girls.

Master using it and you can have this!

Be black on the right side. Add properly colored Cheron to the game today!
Captain
# 112
05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by farktoid5000 View Post
What graphics card and drivers are you running? I saw that with an nvidia 460 and updating to the 320.00 drivers cleared it up.
I have the exact same problems. Nvidia GTX 670 here.

Not only faces are flickering black, Earth and some ship parts flicker as well.

314.22 driver. Ill try updating if there is a new version.

(Note, using Direct3D11)
Survivor of Romulus
# 113
05-17-2013, 12:55 AM
Quote:
What graphics card and drivers are you running? I saw that with an nvidia 460 and updating to the 320.00 drivers cleared it up.
I have the same card, I updated to the Beta drivers, seems to be working with no more Blackface
Captain
# 114
05-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Here is another texture that looks worse; this one is quite easy to see. The screenshot below shows that one of the textures for the mural in Quark's bar has wavy lines.

http://i.imgur.com/YoACBd7.jpg

ticket ID #41,720
Captain
# 115
05-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
So I updated to the most recent version 320.14

Flickering on tribble seems to be gone, however on holodeck weapon effects are just magically disappearing now in heavy combat. Kinda the bug that has been around since beta which lets Eject Warp Plasma/Thetha and Gravity well keeps dissapearing.

:/
Career Officer
# 116
05-20-2013, 05:41 PM
I just noticed a texture that was terrible today, its the grenade ground circle, very very pixelated. Like Atari levels
Delirium Tremens
Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
Nothing to do anymore.
http://dtfleet.com/
Visit our Youtube channel
Captain
# 117
05-21-2013, 07:03 AM
I've been enjoying these new textures on Tribble for a while but never noticed this thread. Again, an excellent explanation Tacofangs, thanks.
Yes I support This

"Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many they are few"
Career Officer
# 118
05-21-2013, 08:50 AM
Taco,

Firstly, your explanation is much appreciated, as well as your hard work. However, please allow me to interject my concerns in using these new mipmaps: Memory. Some of the players playing STO may not have the memory required for using a vast set of mipmaps. Generally speaking a mipmap uses a third more memory than your older textures (explanation to everyone else: notice how much larger the mipmap is -- this has to load into memory before it can be processed by the video card!).

I do not doubt your intentions, but I am concerned for those that were riding the line of memory requirements before this patch (like my daughter's laptop).

Can you assure us that the system requirements have not changed as of this improvement or is there a way to entirely turn mipmapping off? I do hope my fears are not true: were sacrifices to other aesthetics made to reduce memory load?

Last edited by lordlalo; 05-21-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Ensign
# 119 warp plasma!!!
05-21-2013, 09:06 AM
so in light of all this have you fixed the warp plasma graphic????
Captain
# 120
05-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptpyr8 View Post
so in light of all this have you fixed the warp plasma graphic????
I hope so, but I very much doubt it. They have been putting this particular issue under the carpet since the game was in beta stage, they never ever fixed it.

Its not even particularly Eject Warp Plasma which is the issue, its a core issue in the game's engine. It happens to EWP/Theta the most, but its definately not limtied to that.

It happens on Tykens rift, Gravity well, Tricobalt rift effect, even to Weapons on occasion.

It seems to be either a limitation or an artificial limitation set by the game so people's PC wouldn't lag too badly with all these effects going on simultaneously. I can only conclude that because it happens to EWP more often because it has alot more individual graphic effects displayed at once then with lets say gravity well.

I have very little doubt that this texture update will have nothing to do with fixing this particular issue, they did say that the textures, UI etc are alot less resource heavy now and perhaps the problem will fix on its own, but i very much doubt that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordlalo View Post
I do hope my fears are not true: were sacrifices to other aesthetics made to reduce memory load?
I am pretty sure your fears are justified, because if you have been around in Season 4 you know what they did to the game graphics/visual wise. They totally dumbed down all of ESD's interiors with street signs and what not, they totally ruined the visuals all in the good name of 'Reducing load on systems for all the newcomers to this game for the preperation of Free2Play'

in other words they are dumbing down the game's graphics to work with all those chinese farmers with their old 486 PC's. The answer you should be asking yourself is, why the hell do we have graphics options and graphics sliders so you can manually tone down the graphics if the game runs too slow on a particular PC?

Why ruin it for everyone?
I remember how they nerfed the Icecube grenade where some people where so called complaining about how it lagged their whole PC up, and they were right. The thing did lag your PC up, AT HIGH QUALITY GRAPHICS.

I've done some experimenting myself and it only took one option (Lightning or shadows i cant remember it was either one of them) and all lag issues with this particular item were gone.

What can I say, gg.

Last edited by darkfader1988; 05-21-2013 at 09:19 AM.