Captain
# 21
05-10-2013, 07:27 PM
There are still a lot of streteched textures in DS9 dunno if those slipped through your search

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...stextures1.png

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...stextures2.png
Rihannsu
# 22
05-10-2013, 07:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longasc View Post
http://imageshack.us/a/img708/9553/comp18.jpg <- from the thread above
This is the worst example, thankfully it's not nearly as dramatic most of the time.
Enh... Both are horribly pixelated, the one on the right is somewhat more noticable though.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Cryptic Studios Team
# 23
05-10-2013, 08:16 PM
I should probably have clarified in the OP, but this was not all on me. There was a ton of work done by the graphics programmers to get this stuff in and working. We also had a ton of help from the Neverwinter Art Leads who were the guinea pigs on this, and helped run us through many of the same processes. Lastly, to Zer0, SalamiInferno, and other STOvians for helping to support some really big changes.

Big thanks to all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangolight View Post
Probably because you wrote that up in Word where Word automatically switched your quote marks and apostraphes into 'smart' ones, which aren't standard ASCII characters and so when you pasted it in, they came up as unknown characters.

Just my guess anyway. I never use Word for stuff that goes on the web because of that.
You are correct. Wrote up in an email first. . . I should know better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestormsong View Post
Thanks for the explanation! Does this mean that once LoR hits Holodeck, it might
be a good idea to remove the old game folder and redownload the whole thing (if that end up taking less harddisk space, I mean)?

That shouldn't be necessary. You'll just have a big patch to download. No need to reinstall, we'll just overwrite the files that have been updated. Also, in theory, if you're playing on Tribble now, that download has occurred, and you shouldn't see a big patch when it goes to Holodeck. (At least, not due to Textures )

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakiraii View Post
I want a Taco fang little helper instead of a stupid paperclip.
It looks like you're trying to post to the STO Forums, would you like some help flaming or trolling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longasc View Post
This looks good in the Rommie Fleet and other areas that were created with these textures in mind.

However, for all previous textures its a downgrade. The sharpen filter couldn't compensate what the "crunch" compression algorhythm did to the textures. It's like saving a JPG once more at 75-85% quality, this does never make things look better.
I humbly disagree. Crunch does compress things on disk, but they get uncompressed when sent to the video card, and really have very little impact on the look of things.

The Mip Sharpening is more noticeable, and as I said, there are some places where it does look bad. We will assess those as they are reported, and will fix any we find necessary to do so with.

On that note, the Defiant Bridge LCARS has already been unsharpened. However, there are textures (and I think those fall into this category) which don't look great to start, and the sharpened version, while looking . . . different, are not distinguishably worse than the originals. That doesn't mean we can't unsharpen them, I did in that case, but I think the problem stems mostly from older, more poorly made assets. (like the columns mentioned by Ursusmorologus). Quarks can easily be put on the list.

However, part of the issue is in your own video settings, and texture memory. There are times where the high res texture should load (as you are standing next to the object, and looking at it) but it fails to, and so it's actually displaying a lower mip level than it should be. Obviously, that not only looks worse than it may have looked before (or even worse than it will look again later) but it also looks worse than it should look now. This is a bug that I'm talking with the Graphics team about currently.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?
Career Officer
# 24
05-10-2013, 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
It looks like you're trying to post to the STO Forums, would you like some help flaming or trolling?
I think I should leave this here.
Captain
# 25
05-10-2013, 08:55 PM
Thank you for the explanation, tacofangs.

Quote:
This sharpening does not happen to the full texture, only the mips the lower mips. Now, there are some textures that look worse with this sharpening, and those textures can be unsharpened on a case by case basis (and many already have), but overall, we believe the sharpening has drastically improved the look of the game, both at a distance, and on low end systems.
Is there a centralized location where you want these reported?

Quote:
However, part of the issue is in your own video settings, and texture memory. There are times where the high res texture should load (as you are standing next to the object, and looking at it) but it fails to, and so it's actually displaying a lower mip level than it should be. Obviously, that not only looks worse than it may have looked before (or even worse than it will look again later) but it also looks worse than it should look now. This is a bug that I'm talking with the Graphics team about currently.
Is there a way we can diagnose whether the wrong texture is loaded?
Captain
# 26
05-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Yet another reason why my favorite word processor is Notepad.

My second favorite is Vi, but I'd need an emulator to run it in Windows.
Have you tried the Windows version of vim?
Captain
# 27
05-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtoaster View Post
Have you tried the Windows version of vim?
I think he wants the authentic "original" VI, which only runs on operating systems derived from DOS or UNIX/Linux.
How many Starfleet Engineers does it take to exchange an Anti-positronic Photon Emitter?
Captain
# 28
05-10-2013, 09:30 PM
MipMap, team people, thank you. Tacofangs/Tumerboy. Still rocking the community explantions and information scene.

You have less 'splainin' to do now. Praises and cheers.
Just say no to ARC
Career Officer
# 29
05-10-2013, 09:31 PM
Thank you, Taco!
Career Officer
# 30
05-10-2013, 09:45 PM
This would have made an excellent dev blog. I really enjoyed reading it.

Very informative and a great insight into the Wonderful Working World of Taco.

For Ship Charts and Videos - STARFISH1.CO.UK