Captain
# 41
05-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
now how do i force the game to display higher res mips at greater distances?
I think this can be done via one of the sliders in the advanced graphics options, specifically, the object distance slider, which (as I understand it) will give the system a multiplier for the distance at which to use each mip.
Captain
# 42
05-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Viewing distances are way way off.

Everything in the game looks "degraded"

Many maps now have the cheap Champions Online look.

My system handled the previous textures fine and everything looked great.

Would it help if we posted screen shots to show how degraded many things are? Its fairly noticiable.
Captain
# 43
05-11-2013, 11:58 AM
Here is what I am seeing most of the time.

Things are pixalated, low res texture at what is a normal viewing distance. From a distance they are more blobs. You only get what should be to normal high res texture when you are literally right next to it.

If you take one step back the texture changes. One step forward, it changes. You can see the textures loading and its not smooth.

Somethings I can hardly even call a texture since there is no actual detail. Maybe its always like that but the plasma weapons I have been using are just dirty and have no actual detail. All the other weapons look great. All you have to do is look at a weapons rack in the game to see the differences.

My ship doesnt have the same look at times. what would normally look like a smooth metal texture is now gritty and looks fairly rough and doesnt reflect the same.

On some of my ships the windows are now very pixalated when you are zoomed in.

Many wall textures are very pixalated even when you are right next to them.
Career Officer
# 44
05-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelchenchuan View Post
Here is what I am seeing most of the time.

Things are pixalated, low res texture at what is a normal viewing distance. From a distance they are more blobs. You only get what should be to normal high res texture when you are literally right next to it.

If you take one step back the texture changes. One step forward, it changes. You can see the textures loading and its not smooth.

Somethings I can hardly even call a texture since there is no actual detail. Maybe its always like that but the plasma weapons I have been using are just dirty and have no actual detail. All the other weapons look great. All you have to do is look at a weapons rack in the game to see the differences.

My ship doesnt have the same look at times. what would normally look like a smooth metal texture is now gritty and looks fairly rough and doesnt reflect the same.

On some of my ships the windows are now very pixalated when you are zoomed in.

Many wall textures are very pixalated even when you are right next to them.
hmm not noticing any of that earlier when i shot this
http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/...5-11_00007.jpg
Career Officer
# 45
05-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
I think this can be done via one of the sliders in the advanced graphics options, specifically, the object distance slider, which (as I understand it) will give the system a multiplier for the distance at which to use each mip.
I'd tend to agree with that, only that it does not seem to do anything to textures between 100% and 200% anymore, only when i go lower i notice a difference.

*shrug* i guess i'm running at maximum as it is

just thought there might be some unkown console command magic to force it to 11
Captain
# 46
05-11-2013, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
I'd tend to agree with that, only that it does not seem to do anything to textures between 100% and 200% anymore, only when i go lower i notice a difference.

*shrug* i guess i'm running at maximum as it is

just thought there might be some unkown console command magic to force it to 11
i think there are serious viewing distance issues.

Brea from Cutting the Cord is the best example. There are wall panels all over the city

From Distance to mid-distance they are simply a bright blog. very noticable but just really bright blobs.

From medium distance to VERY close they are very pixalated and very poor quality.

Once you literally get right in front of it becomes a high rez nice looking panel.

This is one of the instances where you can literally take a step forward or back and see the new image load. It doesnt feel like you are getting closer or farther but the images noticably switch out.

I also think there are lighting issues. They could always have been there and the new textures just make them stand out. Somethings seem more high contrast than others. Some lighting effects are overly bright. Not the actual map lighting - which is overly bright in places - but details that are supposed to be lights.

And there seems to be a bumpmap or something on a lot of stuff. Lots of stuff has more of a "stone" texture than metal or what ever materials we use in the 24th century.

And everything looks dirty. Not refering to the image quality but that everything looks like it has a layer of dust and need a rag and some windex taken to it.
Commander
# 47
05-11-2013, 04:03 PM
Tacofangs, you one hoopy frood and I love your taco-y goodness, but you've screwed this one up real bad. Every character in the game looks like they have a skin condition, since the textures got "improved."
Captain
# 48
05-11-2013, 04:13 PM
im also seeing what used to bug me in CO. Surfaces that should be glossy or really smooth are way too reflective. In the Admins office in Romulan command, his guest chairs are like mirrors and the book shelves are highly reflective.
Commander
# 49
05-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
I think that's true of many ships. If you think about crew quarters, most quarters have multiple windows, even if there is only one person living in there. . .

As for the window textures, the irony here is that we didn't change those source images. So, your ship has ALWAYS had that many windows, but with the previous tech, some of them just got blurred out of existence from afar.

here, have a carrot :::holds out carrot:::
Thanks taco thats a spicy carrot

The best modifications are the shiny deflector dishes.
Captain
# 50
05-11-2013, 04:40 PM