Cryptic Studios Team
# 51
05-11-2013, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacefortress View Post
I have a question for you Tacofang, but before I do I would like to thank you and your fellow developer team members for putting in the hard work to make this game come 'alive'.

I think I speak for all the players in this game that your team has done an outstanding and admirable job putting time and effort into things we would take for granted but will come to appreciate!

A job well done!

Tacofang, I was wondering since the update to the textures has changed...does that mean that there will be more processing power required for the new textures? (More cpu power required? Does this mean the use of graphics card will be less 'taxing'?)
No problem, glad to be of service.

I'm not exactly sure where the line between GPU and CPU is, that's another question for our graphics programmers. Overall there shouldn't be any more processing power required for our textures. For low end users, they won't ever bother to load 1024, or 2048 textures, and thus, their processing power should be improved fairly significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandoknight89 View Post
I think this can be done via one of the sliders in the advanced graphics options, specifically, the object distance slider, which (as I understand it) will give the system a multiplier for the distance at which to use each mip.
The World Detail Distance slider is actually more related to models rather than textures. Much like MipMaps display lower resolution textures at a distance, objects do the same thing with what is called LODs (Levels of Detail). The objects will swap out at certain points, for lower resolution objects. Increasing your World Detail Distance slider is just going to push out those model changes to be further away.

There is a "World Texture Quality" slider. TBH, I'm not sure what it does exactly. But I would guess that it would do the same thing as "World Detail Distance" but with textures (Mips). I can ask about that on Monday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelchenchuan View Post
Viewing distances are way way off.

Everything in the game looks "degraded"

Many maps now have the cheap Champions Online look.

My system handled the previous textures fine and everything looked great.

Would it help if we posted screen shots to show how degraded many things are? Its fairly noticiable.

By all means, post screenshots. We'll adjust things we see as problematic.

IMHO, I view this like I do the transition to HDTV. Cable News Anchors hated HDTV because you can now see the pimples and flaws they have. Those flaws (and your ship's details) were always there, they were just glossed over by the old, low res TV signal.

Do the viewing of those flaws mean that we should go back to old TV signals? No, I think the vast majority of people would agree that HDTV is an improvement, and that while you can see the flaws in an anchor's face, it is a minor price to pay for the general improvements it brings.

But that's just my opinion.

The change in mips (stepping forward and backward) has not changed. That has been there since launch. I would argue that you are only noticing it now because you are paying such close attention to textures now.

Again, none of the base, source textures were altered. If there is a "stone" texture or if things look more dirty to you, that is the way it has always been. It may be more visible now that we've sharpened the mips, but that detail was always there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guriphu View Post
Tacofangs, you one hoopy frood and I love your taco-y goodness, but you've screwed this one up real bad. Every character in the game looks like they have a skin condition, since the textures got "improved."
Hey! I'll have you know my FATHER was a Hoopy Frood! So you watch your mouth! . . . er. . . fingers.
Again, no textures were changed, so if they have skin conditions, they always did. Perhaps we can look at redoing some of them as necessary, but personally, I don't see it.
-The Artist formerly known as Tumerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybobcnc View Post
Tacofangs, what is your beef with where's Sulu?

Last edited by tacofangs; 05-11-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Captain
# 52
05-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Lot of mip mips going on in the post, you sure you don't know a certain mr. roadrunner?
Lt. Commander
# 53
05-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokersmith1 View Post
Lot of mip mips going on in the post, you sure you don't know a certain mr. roadrunner?

You should have signed this post: Wile E. Coyote, "Super Genius"

mip mip!
Career Officer
# 54
05-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacofangs View Post
...Cable News Anchors hated HDTV because you can now see the pimples and flaws they have. Those flaws (and your ship's details) were always there, they were just glossed over by the old, low res TV signal.

Do the viewing of those flaws mean that we should go back to old TV signals? No, I think the vast majority of people would agree that HDTV is an improvement, and that while you can see the flaws in an anchor's face, it is a minor price to pay for the general improvements it brings.

But that's just my opinion...

Actually, our EIC (Engineer In Charge) is able to soften the contrast a little in the rack room, smooths those harsh details without impacting the overall picture, but that's just my show. I'm sure on the Network shows with larger staff, the Shader room has a few tricks up their sleeves to deal with issues like you're describing. Between makeup having to now go all the way down the neck (for example) and little tricks with tweaking the camera's settings, and a COMPLETELY different approach to lighting, HD was just a learning curve.

EDIT: Did I mention 4K is coming? Yeah. You think the Anchors look bad now, wait until the standard jumps again...
Wampaq@Jnoh, Fleet Leader: ..Bloodbath and Beyond 'Iw HaH je Hoch!
Starbase 4-4-4-4 || Embassy 3-3-3 || Mine 3-3-3 || Spire 3-3-3
A laid back KDF fleet welcoming independent, casual, & part-time players and groups. Roms & alts welcome.
Send in-game mail to Wampaq@Jnoh, visit our recruitment thread and FB page for more info.

Last edited by jnohd; 05-11-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Rihannsu
# 55
05-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frtoaster View Post
Have you tried the Windows version of vim?
No, I might some time. The version of Vi I used was the one that goes with Solaris Unix.
HAIL HYDRA!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Show Archon and Borticus how much you would like to see new Doff races!
Captain
# 56
05-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
No, I might some time. The version of Vi I used was the one that goes with Solaris Unix.
I've found the Windows version of vim to be pretty good. I haven't used Solaris in ages. Now that Oracle has acquired Sun, I'm not sure how much longer that OS has left.
Captain
# 57
05-11-2013, 11:28 PM
I think I'm in love with you Taco.
Division Hispana
www.divisionhispana.com
Career Officer
# 58
05-11-2013, 11:34 PM
Taco Fangs is my hero !
Thanks for the work improving the textures.

AND

Thanks for explaining it us.

Peace
- John
Captain
# 59
05-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Is there a way to decompress textures on the hard drive as they are being installed, for those of us with plenty of space? I would think it would improve performance having the data decompressed ahead of time rather than doing it on the fly as it's being accessed.
If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it.
Oh Hell NO to ARC........One Ring to Rule Them all........
Career Officer
# 60
05-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Just to note there's still flickering sky file textures in patrol missions, the one I encountered yesterday was in the Eriksson System, Pi Canis Sector Block.
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook