Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 11
05-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
TV viewers and movie goers are two different things. People expect story on the tv screen, I'll be damned if I've waited for who knows how long for my next ST show only to have action packed dim whitted crap shoved in my face because the masses paid to see Action Trek at the theater.
I'm ok with the JJ movies since the Tng movies were weak anyways but I would hate it if they dictate the future of Trek on tv, The JJ verse only belongs on the big screen.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Career Officer
# 12
05-11-2013, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxfederatica View Post
Except, of course, for a certain MMO that was well into development at the time...
I've no idea what MMO you're talking about

Since you brought up STO, I think Cryptic actually took the bigger risk if you think about it. They could have easily had the Romulans just move to a new planet and set up as before so that by 2409 the Romulans were basically as they were in TNG. That would have saved a lot of whining on the forums, but by embracing what happened in the film they've created something pretty cool in the last season and Legacy of Romulus.
Marauder Bridge Officers have been broken for over two years, can you fix them please Cryptic?
Starfleet Veteran
# 13
05-11-2013, 08:40 AM
I'm pretty sure any Star Trek TV show that would be considered would be JJ Trek.

The moneys with all the new fans that want all the excitement and explosions.

Next Gen was pretty boring sometimes.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Empire Veteran
# 14
05-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thlaylierah View Post
I'm pretty sure any Star Trek TV show that would be considered would be JJ Trek.

The moneys with all the new fans that want all the excitement and explosions.

Next Gen was pretty boring sometimes.
That boring stuff you don't like is 'Star Trek'.

Starfleet Veteran
# 15
05-11-2013, 09:08 AM
Actually I liked TOS best.

That is THE Star Trek and JJ Trek is emulating it.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Rihannsu
# 16
05-11-2013, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Actually I liked TOS best.

That is THE Star Trek and JJ Trek is emulating it.
Hes ripping it off not emulating it and in the latest film almost exactly as the original Scene from ST2

It is better than the last one -no planets were harmed this time-Poor Klingons could have been next.

No we got what we wanted Big Explosions and lens flares and a story full of holes.

Hes off to Star Wars let them have his "emulation".
Captain
# 17
05-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxic1 View Post
I managed to see it last night. Can honestly say that I was surprised how good it was and I certainly recommend it.

I agree with you. I love it. I saw it in 3D and wow...

I would have to say that some scenes was a bit to emotional for me. There was certain scenes you kind of recognized. Personally I never liked them in the original. Its just to mich mush, mush for me. But I do have to say some of it I loved.

I am certainly going to rewatch this movie many times, in 2D and 3D.
Lt. Commander
# 18
05-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Into Darkness is imho much better than the first one.

The plot of the first one was highly illogical, but at last the actors were greatly casted.

The plot of Into Darkness has much less logical flaws. There is also no simple minded villian as in the first movie.

(we remeber back, the motivation of Nero was to kill someone who wanted to prevent the destruction of his home planet but unfortunately failed to do so ... ah, next time better don't help at all, Spock.).

The actors doing a great job. My favorites are Karl Urban as McCoy and Cumberbatch as ... ahm ... yes, well ... lets say John Harrison ;-) In the end, all characters are more deeply portraited as in the first movie and their actions and motivations are reasonable for the audience.

There are many references/homages to the original series.

Of course, the FX are just great.

So my review: congrats J.J., you did it well.

PS: one critic point is the Klingons looked a little bit scary.

Last edited by xiphenon; 05-11-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Captain
# 19
05-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Quote:
This isn't turning into the JJ flamefest the OP would have preferred.
You should stop assuming what I would prefer. I had high hopes for this movie, and I loved the previous one. Into Darkness was definitely a fun movie to watch, but for me it just didn't go far enough. It didn't do enough to stand out as its own movie. At one point I was thinking "Oh look, John Harrison is crashing a ship into San Fransisco, that's nice". There was no weight or importance to that. It didn't feel like anything meaningful. I think the trailer shouldn't have spoiled that scene...
Captain
# 20
05-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
I just finally accepted that I can pretend the new movies don't exist as far as "my star trek" goes.
Awesome! I feel the exact same way about all the TNG movies and Enterprise.

----------

Looking forward to seeing the new movie.

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.