Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Captain
# 21
05-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
You should stop assuming what I would prefer. I had high hopes for this movie, and I loved the previous one. Into Darkness was definitely a fun movie to watch, but for me it just didn't go far enough. It didn't do enough to stand out as its own movie. At one point I was thinking "Oh look, John Harrison is crashing a ship into San Fransisco, that's nice". There was no weight or importance to that. It didn't feel like anything meaningful. I think the trailer shouldn't have spoiled that scene...
people should really not be calling him Harrison it s KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
. . . . . . . . Insert witty content. . . . . .

Star Trek Online : Delta Rising - not the best but it's not that bad STOP with the pitch forks as they come out every season or update it's boring seeing it on every page, thread and all mediums out there. .
Captain
# 22
05-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commandersalvek View Post
Hes ripping it off not emulating it...
He's taken the elements that most people know about them as pop culture icons, hypercharging it, and trying to make the IP profitable again...y'know, since the TNG movies and Enterprise weren't really doing it that much. At the end of the day, the IP making cash is what will keep things like STO and future Trek productions AWAY from the back burner of Hollywood, or even the trash bin.

Crazy talk, I know...

I'm still Romulus_Prime. Joined STO in January 2010.
Captain
# 23
05-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam3s1701 View Post
people should really not be calling him Harrison it s KHAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks dude, for spoiling it for people who genuinely didn't know that and wanted to wait and see the movie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voporak View Post
So yes... you could get everything here for free.
Just like you can get a free steak dinner by collecting dropped pennies in the parking lot.
Captain
# 24
05-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Yeah, but the whole Khan thing is lost on people who didn't watch TOS to begin with, since no real mention is made of him during either film. Only vague hints, it's expected that you already know.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
Empire Veteran
# 25
05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
This review pretty much mirrors my reaction to the film, both in what he didn't like about it, and in what he did like about it:

Telegraph Review

Lt. Commander
# 26
05-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Anything with Karl Urban's version of Bones gets my vote

CAPTAIN! I'm picking up a Golden Age Supervillian on long range sensors. She appears to be mooning us U_U"
Lt. Commander
# 27
05-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by emacsheadroom View Post
Thanks dude, for spoiling it for people who genuinely didn't know that and wanted to wait and see the movie.
Everyone and their aunt knew who Sherlock was playing from the start dont kid yourself

CAPTAIN! I'm picking up a Golden Age Supervillian on long range sensors. She appears to be mooning us U_U"
Commander
# 28
05-12-2013, 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by romuzarii View Post
I just finally accepted that I can pretend the new movies don't exist as far as "my star trek" goes. They're made in a time period where the masses demand top tiered movies to spend their dollars on, and that's what this Star Trek is aiming for, the masses. And it makes for a pretty interesting spin on Star Trek when the TNG movies flopped so badly at trying to be the same thing.

So they can do whatever they want on the big screen, but when it comes time for the small screen again I sure hope they remember that an action packed ST tv show is not going to repeat the big screen movie success. TV viewers and movie goers are two different things. People expect story on the tv screen, to watch a show for years, and just about anything goes for the big screen because it's only for a hour and half or so for 10 bucks. I truly hope the so called experts understand this and that at least one of those experts are in the CBS crowd, because I'll be damned if I've waited for who knows how long for my next ST show only to have action packed dim whitted crap shoved in my face because the masses paid to see Action Trek at the theater.
I love this sideways slam of people enjoying the new Trek movies and implying that fans that want it "TV style" are a more intelligent audience than "the mass of movie goers."

TV audience is smarter and demands story you say? The Kardasians, American Idol, CSI: Whatever, Jersey Shore, How I Met Your Mother, Glee, Whitney, Two and a Half Men, American Horror Story, Duck Dynasty and many others would like a word with you. (And those were just shooting from the hip)

Because the new films don't give two hour lectures with made up technobabble and beat you to death with a 'moral question' does not mean those who enjoy it are less intelligent than those who don't. It's just not your flavor. You are not smarter for having a differing opinion.

Such an attitude is not in the Star Trek spirit, in my opinion. You must not be a 'real Trek fan' (C wut I did thar?)