I got the same issue, randomly I get a BSOD that shows ati3daug.dll as the reason. I been tyring to get the game to work since beta start with no luck what so ever. I tried different versions of windows, I clean installed XP 4 times, this is the arthest I got the game to go.
While my nvidia card is in the RMA process I've been using my spare ATI card and have encountered the same issues. The game runs flawlessly in space but the client crashes the moment I initiate ground combat. It tends to happen when NPCs (or myself) start using any sort of AOE buff, debuff, or attack. The framerate slows down tremendously and the game just stops working. I'm willing to bet that it's an ATI driver issue considering that ATI drivers have *always* been garbage since I first started using them.
CPU: Intel Core2Quad 2.86ghz
RAM: 4gb (2x2gb) DDR2 OCZ Reaper 1066
Video: ATI Radeon Sapphire 4870x2 2gb gddr5 (runs great with nvidia gtx280)
Drivers: Catalyst 9.12
Audio: SupremeFX II PCI card
I'm having the same issue.. happened with the 9.11 and 9.12 drivers in a particular mission at the exact same point everytime. BSODs get old fast. I'm using a 5750 though not the 4000 series like a lot of the rest.
this post suggest completely cleaning out the ATI drivers using driver cleaner. Unfortunately, I'm a tad lazy to try it out at the moment (not to mention 12 hr work days...) so once i retest this i'll let everyone know.
On a related note, I tried SB24 again in safe mode and didn't crash so something is definitely up with the drivers...