Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Klingon Fleetyards
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,481
Ok, so I got the idea for this from another discussion that was going on in the Klingon forums and decided to combine it a bit and see how it would sum up.

First, seen how lately the devs. are keen on using ships/design ideas from ENT (which I love btw ) I think that the time has come for the D5 to make her appearence in STO. And it's also one of my favourite Klingon ships.

So, having the situation that with LoR the blue side will have access to a wide variety of ships that can cloak/battlecloak and the KDF is lacking a bit compared to Starfleet on stealth detection, I think that we need a new asset in the science department, especially to help with stealth detection. For now we only have 1 dedicated science ship - the Varanus, 2 if you count lockbox ships and that's about it.
Now, having the Klingons' habbit of using old reliable designs, I think that the D5 could be adapted for science purposes.

Also, worth mentioning - since Starfleet has sci.vessels that can mount DHC and have a hangar and the RR has sci.ships that can mont DHC and have battlecloak, all gloves are off.

So this is basically what I combined around playing with some stats/ideas:

Klingon D5 Science Battlecruiser

Hull: 28.000
Shield Mod: 1.25
Weapons: 3 fore/3 aft
Crew: 200
Boffs: XXXX XXX XX XX X
Consoles: XXX XX XXXX
Turn rate: 14
+15 Auxiliary Power
Can equip DHC
Subsystem Targeting
Sensor Analysis
Regular Cloak

[Console - Universal - Stealth Detection Canisters] (bare with me, I just slapped a stupid name)

- Can be equiped only on D5 Variants
- Launches 8 canisters and targets them (sth. similar to the Riker maneuver)
- Decloaks all cloaked ships in radius of 10 km around the ship
- +10 starship sensors for 30 sec
- +5 stealth detection for 30 sec

Klingon D5 Science Battlecruiser (Fleet version)

Hull: 31.500
Shield Mod: 1.35
Weapons: 3 fore/3 aft
Crew: 200
Boffs: XXXX XXX XX XX X
Consoles: XXX XX XXXXX
Turn rate: 14
+15 Auxiliary Power
Can equip DHC
Subsystem Targeting
Sensor Analysis
Regular Cloak

What do you guys think about sth. like this?
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!

Last edited by shpoks; 05-13-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,838
# 2
05-13-2013, 04:14 AM
I like it.

I guess it won't be long until the usual complaints come up like "science means exploration (which is doesn't) and Klingons don't do that".
Which ignores the fact that without it you can't biuld an empire since you can't find new resources, colony world or anyone you can conquer.

And of course any self respecting military has Signal Intelligence, Electronic Warfare etc. in its arsenal.

Anyway here are my thoughts on the matter: given the purpose of the ship, it might help if it were given a more apt name like "Electronic Warfare Cruiser".

I like your idea with the canisters, but as someone who's read a lot about naval warfare would propose to call them "sensor buoys" after"sonar buoys".
Perhaps your proposed ship could also look slightly different from the "Basic D5".
The tanker version had some oversized "barrels" slung under
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ass_tanker.jpg

several different containers could also be mounted under this ship.
Some with visible sensor arrays (explaining its "science" focus) and some with small launch doors for the buoys...?
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,512
# 3
05-13-2013, 05:50 AM
voodieh class was one i suggested
If you like the RPG trinity, then you hate MMOs, you hate working, competitive fair PvP, you hate balanced engaging solo content,
and,
you hate PvE "adventure zones". because the trinity is incompatible with any of these.
Commander
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 332
# 4
05-13-2013, 05:55 AM
The D5 looks like a BoP, though the engines are in the wrong place. This I like alot!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 5
05-13-2013, 04:59 PM
I like it and would fork out the Zen to buy it and a Fleet version if the standard version is a T5.

Though there is one change I would suggest and that would be to get rid of the ensign station and make the lieutenant science and lt commander and in the fleet version make the lt commander science and universal.

We don't have many science ships, 1 that is basically a copy and paste of one of the Federation T4 free science ships and so I made this suggestion to allow more flexibility as unlike our Federation friends we can't just go and get another ship like an Intrepid retrofit, Vesta etc. We don't need numbers just quality in our ships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 6
05-13-2013, 09:52 PM
It would be nice if we got a nimble sci+tac ship with an anti-cloak ability console, so that the KDF has options for actively fighting off cloaked Romulans.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,481
# 7
05-14-2013, 04:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterde3 View Post
I like it.

I guess it won't be long until the usual complaints come up like "science means exploration (which is doesn't) and Klingons don't do that".
Which ignores the fact that without it you can't biuld an empire since you can't find new resources, colony world or anyone you can conquer.

And of course any self respecting military has Signal Intelligence, Electronic Warfare etc. in its arsenal.

Anyway here are my thoughts on the matter: given the purpose of the ship, it might help if it were given a more apt name like "Electronic Warfare Cruiser".

I like your idea with the canisters, but as someone who's read a lot about naval warfare would propose to call them "sensor buoys" after"sonar buoys".
Perhaps your proposed ship could also look slightly different from the "Basic D5".
The tanker version had some oversized "barrels" slung under
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ass_tanker.jpg

several different containers could also be mounted under this ship.
Some with visible sensor arrays (explaining its "science" focus) and some with small launch doors for the buoys...?
I really don't overally care about the name this ship would have in game as long as it is the old D5 Battlecruiser, I kinda' have a soft spot for that ship.
I like your ideas, I just slapped cannisters based on the dilithium canisters the original version was carrying because it was getting quite late here and couldn't think that much.
But I like the term "sensor buoys" seems much more appropriate for the role intended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Though there is one change I would suggest and that would be to get rid of the ensign station and make the lieutenant science and lt commander and in the fleet version make the lt commander science and universal.

We don't have many science ships, 1 that is basically a copy and paste of one of the Federation T4 free science ships and so I made this suggestion to allow more flexibility as unlike our Federation friends we can't just go and get another ship like an Intrepid retrofit, Vesta etc. We don't need numbers just quality in our ships.
Ah, I see your point and when I think about it, that actually could work even better.
I was using the basic Boff setup seen on most ships simply because the 4 Boff setup at Tier 5 has been exclusive to BoPs and certain carriers.

Also, I was going through sci.ship stats in STO when I was making this, and decided to offer only the ens. as universal at fleet version because I've seen a pattern that Cryptic is reluctant to give fleet ships much universal options if the main T5 ship they're based upon doesn't offer any to start with. However that was based on a 5 Boff setup. If the devs are willing to make a 4 Boff setup as you suggested - then it would be good if the Lt.Comm is made universal on the fleet variant.

As I said, from current experience (mostly on Fed. side since we only have 1 non-lockbox sci.ship) Cryptic seems reluctant to give that much flexibility to a fleet ship. It could be only my impression though. If they're willing to make this ship and give it the flexibility you sugested it would be awesome and I'd wellcome it with open hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skollulfr View Post
voodieh class was one i suggested
Sorry, didn't quite see that thread before, guess got lost in the number of threads.

I didn't want to post there because I'd be necroing the thread, so I'll do it here:
It is a solid idea and although we already have a sci-oriented cruiser in the Kamarag Retrofit and the K'maj, I can see your idea as a bit different variation (in stats) of those while giving access to a nice set of science abilities. I agree with misterde's reply in that thread, that this could possibily be suitable for the Qang class if it makes an appearance in STO.

What I can't see happening is that battlecruiser having 39k hull and 1.3 shiled mod. I don't think that Cryptic would allow as ship in game to have such high values of both. Maybe 1.1 on a fleet version.

That said, it would be different from the ship discussed in this thread, because what I proposed is basically a science ship with certain sci. perks that has battlecruiser in the name only because it's based on the old D5 battlecruiser, while yours falls more in the real battlecruiser department that is powerfull as any other, but offers a variety of Boff science abilities. It certainly could have it's place in the battlecruiser line if Cryptic is willing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmaster View Post
It would be nice if we got a nimble sci+tac ship with an anti-cloak ability console, so that the KDF has options for actively fighting off cloaked Romulans.
That's what I was basically going after.
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,306
# 8
05-14-2013, 04:45 AM
I like it. Very balanced. My Science toon would fly one.
He who laughs last thinks slowest.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,251
# 9
05-14-2013, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Ah, I see your point and when I think about it, that actually could work even better.
I was using the basic Boff setup seen on most ships simply because the 4 Boff setup at Tier 5 has been exclusive to BoPs and certain carriers.

Also, I was going through sci.ship stats in STO when I was making this, and decided to offer only the ens. as universal at fleet version because I've seen a pattern that Cryptic is reluctant to give fleet ships much universal options if the main T5 ship they're based upon doesn't offer any to start with. However that was based on a 5 Boff setup. If the devs are willing to make a 4 Boff setup as you suggested - then it would be good if the Lt.Comm is made universal on the fleet variant.

As I said, from current experience (mostly on Fed. side since we only have 1 non-lockbox sci.ship) Cryptic seems reluctant to give that much flexibility to a fleet ship. It could be only my impression though. If they're willing to make this ship and give it the flexibility you sugested it would be awesome and I'd wellcome it with open hands.
Thank you I am glad you like my suggestion.

With current fleet ships especially those also offering a retrofit, the 4 module version really don't offer much in the way of value over their standard or retrofit versions. Especially for the 2K zen price. Officering a Lt Commander universal on the fleet variant at least for me would seriously make me considering forking over the Zen for such a ship.

Plus we also have to take into account, that the KDF is lacking in good fleet ships, there are a few good ones out there I must admit, Tor'Kaht, Scourge and Corsair are my favourites looking at the stats. But the lack of science ships is a real kick in the groin, especially for science Captains where the Kar'Fi is our only real option.

Offering a ship with this amount of flexibility would also increase the sales of the said ship, especially with the LoR content being released soon allowing people to not have to grind a Fed character up. The Romulans seem to be getting some decent science ships so I think this D5 you've suggested with the BOFF alterations I've suggested would finally give us KDF science Captains a good solid science ship with cloak detection and a fair amount of flexibility something the KDF really needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,481
# 10
05-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemepwe View Post
I like it. Very balanced. My Science toon would fly one.
I'm glad you like it.
The question now is - how do we make the devs. create one for us?
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:25 AM.