Captain
# 1 Choose you "allegiance"?
05-13-2013, 05:58 AM
The way it's phrased in game, it sounds like I'm choosing to make the Romulan Republic a proxy faction in the Federation or Klingon Empire. I thought it was just an alliance to help build New Romulus?

It should say "choose your ally" instead of "choose your allegiance".
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Commander
# 2
05-13-2013, 06:08 AM
The problem is, realistically there is no good way to explain this whatever term one chooses to use. Even the klinks at launch were at least their own entity not this joke.

It's like a Chinese naval captain having to choose to serve a whole career in either in the Rusian or US Navys...aint ever gonna happen.
Empire Veteran
# 3
05-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Personally, I think they should frame it as you being an attached liason officer to a given faction. Then it would be 'choose your posting'. Both Feds and KDF end as 'allies' of the Republic, so you aren't reallly picking an ally.

Right now it is awkward because you immediately get assignments that have you attacking the other side...which makes no sense for the Romulans to do.

Alternatively, perhaps you should just be 'infiltrating' one of the sides...you are a Romulan, after all.
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Republic Veteran
# 4
05-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Basically, the Romulan Republic is in tatters. The whole storyline is you trying to bring together the diaspora and rebuild a strong Republic. Allying with KDF/Fed is a way to have a more level playing field when dealing with the Tal Shiar (who have a better military at the start) until the Republic is back on its feet.
Captain
# 5
05-13-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgeek View Post
Basically, the Romulan Republic is in tatters. The whole storyline is you trying to bring together the diaspora and rebuild a strong Republic. Allying with KDF/Fed is a way to have a more level playing field when dealing with the Tal Shiar (who have a better military at the start) until the Republic is back on its feet.
I'm fine with "allying" with them. But "choosing an allegiance" implies you're joining the war against the other side. And D'Tan made it pretty clear that's not what supposed to be happening.

All I want is a slight text change: "ally" instead of "allegiance".
"It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."
-- Q
Commander
# 6
05-13-2013, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycoticvulcan View Post
I'm fine with "allying" with them. But "choosing an allegiance" implies you're joining the war against the other side. And D'Tan made it pretty clear that's not what supposed to be happening.

All I want is a slight text change: "ally" instead of "allegiance".
Or perhaps say we are putting you on "loan" to (insert ally here) so you can help facilitate more effective joint fleet operations and cross training. Would be a lot more palatable and gets Cryptic out of the jam they are putting themselves in story wise (particularly along the reunification track) if they ever want/decide to finish the Rom faction later.

Last edited by daskippa; 05-13-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Career Officer
# 7
05-13-2013, 09:17 AM
I must admit the wording and framing of this needs some tweaking as it stands I see what they going for but it is a little bit 'right now you are fedi's attack all Klink's on sight' or vice-versa and in the end we are meant to be neutral
Empire Veteran
# 8
05-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Yea, if I sign up on the KDF side, what do the Feds make of the fact that their Republic 'ally' has personnel and ships actively fighting against them, not to mention sending my Duty Officers off to sabotage them, assassinate them, etc.?
Joined October 2009. READ BEFORE POSTING
Career Officer
# 9
05-13-2013, 10:24 AM
You are in fact chosing a side in the current conflict, the strange thing is by doing this the Romulan Republic has splintered its military into two factions. I in fact fought Romulans who were "Federation officers" in one mission, in fact when we part finally the other Captain says, "You would have made a fine Federation officer, too bad you sided with the Klingons."

Indiacting to me that the Romulan Republic has split even further by seporating their military forces a 3rd time, or 4th really, Now we have the forces of the Floatilla, the Fed allied, Klingon allied, and finally the Romulan Star Empire allied Romulans.

Now I understand game mechanics-wise why they did the chose a side thing, this way they gave the Romulan characters the ability to group with their old Fleet mates in the Fed and Klingon Fleets and even join them in groups. This I understand.

But the fracturing of the Romulans lore-wise will cause all sorts of problems later.
Lieutenant
# 10
05-13-2013, 10:52 AM
I just like to think of it as when you choose your side, the other Romulans that choose the opposing faction are Tal Shiar. For example, I went KDF with mine. The Feds are convinced by Sela that the Romulan Republic faction are just a bunch of terrorists, and by allying with the KDF that proves it. So the Feds think they taking the lesser of two evils. I don't know if this will hold up as I get further into the story line, but for now it works for me.