Ensign
# 1 Billing ; Taxed?
05-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Hey all,

I did a search and could not find the answer, other than how to submit a billing ticket from 2010.

It shows that a monthy subscription is 14.99
1 Month14.99 USD
14.99 USD

http://sto.perfectworld.com/gold

But my last two statements have a second .45 charge from PWE/Cryptic Sub.
Are we now paying tax?

Thanks,
Div
Captain
# 2
05-14-2013, 01:03 PM
To answer that question, we need to know your state/contry.

Different locations, have different rules and taxes.
My name may say "PWE member", but I will never be.
-NEVER Forget the Screwups and ignorance made towards the people who supported the game through 2011
Don't look silly, don't call it "Zen-Store" - Don't waste devs time, Post proper bug-reports - I don't like Gekos
Ensign
# 3
05-14-2013, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
To answer that question, we need to know your state/contry.

Different locations, have different rules and taxes.
I am in IL, and this is new on my statement. Never had these before, and no email notification that new charges were being applied. I have submitted a ticket. The PWE portal really just shows that I have an active account, but does not show a billing history. I expanded the details, WTF. "INTERNATIONAL TRANSACTION FEE"

So it appears like this on my statment:
DDMMYY PWE Cyrptic Sub HOOFDORP 14.99
DDMMYY PWE Cyrptic Sub HOOFDORP
INTERNATIONAL TRANSACTION FEE .45

Thanks,
Div
Career Officer
# 4
05-14-2013, 01:23 PM
You know thank you for posting this.

I just jarred my memory, I noticed it too, with this month's payment.

I saw the normal 14.99 posting, and then afew items later, there was an additional .45 charge.
Commander
# 5
05-14-2013, 01:33 PM
*zapped*

As the law guy down there cleared it up

Last edited by urniv821; 05-14-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 6
05-14-2013, 01:47 PM
It's not a tax, international transaction fees are assessed either by the card processor or your bank with any transaction that involves a currency exchange.

The only real solution is to use an American Express card. Nobody anywhere accepts them anymore, but they're the only one of the major carriers that block ITF's.

Visa requires these fees to be disclosed if they're coming from the merchant, but not if they're coming from the processor or the bank (and since very, very few merchants actually do their own processing, that means that unless you're buying from Apple Visa allows them).

Master Card has no restrictions on them.
Career Officer
# 7
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Gov. quin signed an internet tax law in 2011, it was ruled unconstitutional by a judge in cook county last year, and now we have a new law that charges a "sales tax" on retailers that have any presence in the state - be it a warehouse, large office, or rented bathroom stall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolo.com
Note on Illinois Sales Tax Terminology

Along with the more common term ?sales tax,? Illinois?s tax laws frequently refer to the ?retailer?s occupation tax,? which in many ways is equivalent to sales tax. Further explanation of how ?sales tax? in Illinois is, in fact, a combination of several types of taxes is available on a page of the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) website.
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...sales-tax.html

Since PWE nor Cryptic have a presence here, I would think it's a credit card fee

Last edited by wildmousex; 05-14-2013 at 02:05 PM.
Career Officer
# 8
05-14-2013, 03:31 PM
This isn't surprising, as my own financial institute tacks on a 'foreign transaction' when I purchase Zen directly from PWE with a credit card.

(And one of the reasons why I use Zen game cards purchased locally, which in California, are sales tax exempt)