Career Officer
# 51
05-16-2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucho80 View Post
For the people that complain about dilithium for starbase progression. Just stick with the projects that require white doffs. Pretty easy to farm those if you can handle the grind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
That's all well and good. Until you hit a tier upgrade project.
And those projects happen to be manditory, if you don't do them, you can't slot the next level of tier assignments and progression in that field is locked out.

Also, the Recruitment and Diplomacy projects cost 21,000 Dil per project.

I'm confused, why would a larger fleet want or need more then one base?

Do they really have so much of an excess of resources that they can afford to spend it doing the same task 3 times over?

In their position, I'd seek out a smaller fleet and help them out instead.

My inner cynic has two comments to make:

1. It's ego.
They want to say we made 3 complete bases, aren't we good?
Also, they want to say we have more members then the limit allows.

2. They're locking up members to prevent other fleets from having a chance to recruit them.
Career Officer
# 52
05-16-2013, 05:57 PM
This may strike you as surprising, but there might be a reason that players are joining, and staying, in those larger fleet.

Also, my very small fleet managed to get the first Federation T5 shipyards before any other fleet, back at the end of January. Fleet size is not a limiting factor; the only factors limiting fleet progression are the resources you have.

July 12, 2012 - January 24, 2013
It's been a long road, getting from there to here~
Starfleet Veteran
# 53
05-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilonia View Post
This may strike you as surprising, but there might be a reason that players are joining, and staying, in those larger fleet.

Also, my very small fleet managed to get the first Federation T5 shipyards before any other fleet, back at the end of January. Fleet size is not a limiting factor; the only factors limiting fleet progression are the resources you have.
AND you need a lot of people like me that have to work most of the time so those that don't can grind continuously to advance the Star Base.

Of course people like me won't have a lot of time to play because of this, but hey you've got a T5 Star Base!

As long as it's all fair and everyone (except those like me) has a chance.

AND apparently, people like me are the majority, so you'd think it would make sense from a financial point of view to make content appealing to us?

Oh well, I never studied finance so they must know something I don't.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.

Last edited by thlaylierah; 05-16-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 54
05-16-2013, 06:52 PM
The vast majority of people even interested in joining a fleet are instantly going to go for the largest, most advanced one they can so they can get the ships and gear. There's no incentive for people to join smaller fleets.

Fleetbases are prohibitively overly expensive in terms of not only resources but time needed to be devoted to purely fleetbase project content. Not everyone can play 2-3 times a week for 3 hours, and those of us that can shouldn't have to solely devote all of our time in trying to make up for the others. The Uber, Mega, and large fleets got their bases, and are still constantly recruiting more people well over the 400 limit and people join because they already have everything unlocked, time to scale down the resource costs so us smaller fleets might have some appeal for those looking for the rewarding feeling of building up the base or at least be able to progress with what he have.

The original average fleet size number we were given was 25 (before fleetbase launch) and we were assured that while it would be more challenging, fleets under the 25 member average would still be able to progress through the fleetbase system. The second dev blogs with more detailed information started coming out we knew this wasn' going to be the case, now it's time to start scaling it back so existing fleets can progress and new fleets won't be at an overwhelming disadvantage.

Take customization away, evolve it into a barebones type for smaller fleets or something like that. This fleet alliance thing that keeps getting talked about isn't going to solve any of the problems for smaller fleets, it's just going to make it easier for uber,mega fleets to grow even larger, there might as well not even me a member cap on fleets then.

Also what happened to adding the ability to cancel projects?

Last edited by voicesdark; 05-16-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Career Officer
# 55
05-16-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by linyive View Post
On the flip side, if Cryptic limited individual owners to one fleet base, the other 800 players could create two separately owned fleets. More owners = more fleets = more opportunity = more diversity = more competition. Small fleets would have an opportunity to compete for more resources and players.
Except it would never work that way. Everyone would know which fleets are associated to what mega fleets and everyone would flock to them. Its a cascade effect more or less, the associated fleets to an established Mega Fleet would be seen as a safer long term bet to people looking to join a fleet. So small fleets would really still be at a disadvantage to even a starting MegaFleet-associated fleet.

Not to mention the fact that maybe your fleet leader is awesome and you WANT to have his/her steady hand at the wheel of any new fleets you join.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.

Last edited by skyranger1414; 05-16-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Captain
# 56
05-16-2013, 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
My inner cynic has two comments to make:

1. It's ego.
They want to say we made 3 complete bases, aren't we good?
Also, they want to say we have more members then the limit allows.

2. They're locking up members to prevent other fleets from having a chance to recruit them.
You should get your inner cynic under control.

Many people have multiple alts. As I said above, I have 15. Due to Fleet bases having a 500 limit my Fleet is limited to only having 1 character per player. Combined my Fleet would have around 1,500 characters that would want to get in - assuming around 6 alts per player. So having multiple bases allows people to get around the 500 limit.

And yes, most of the currency needed isn't that hard to get. I, alone, grind out half a million Dilithium per month; meaning I could upgrade an Embassy to T2 by myself in 2 months - using your "10500 Fleet Marks and 1000000 Dilithium" figure in your first post. So if I can get half in 1 month 2 players just grinding the standard 8k Dilithium per day can get the other half and the whole project's done in a month just by 3 Fleet members.

I also think if you want good Fleets you need to be a good leader. A good Fleet needs to keep its players involved. I have around 6 Fleet events per month where we meet together and go and do different projects together for fun. We do things like Small Craft night and Fleet Action night - and sometimes we even do Fleet Actions in Small Craft. We already have the plans drawn up for your Rom and KDF nights.

If you want to run a good Fleet you can't just tell players to contribute. You need to make it fun for them to contribute - and that might be why a lot of players choose one Fleet over another.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 57
05-16-2013, 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyranger1414 View Post
Except it would never work that way. Everyone would know which fleets are associated to what mega fleets and everyone would flock to them. Its a cascade effect more or less, the associated fleets to an established Mega Fleet would be seen as a safer long term bet to people looking to join a fleet. So small fleets would really still be at a disadvantage to even a starting MegaFleet-associated fleet.
So, we fall back on the resource solution? In order for smaller fleets to make timely progression, the resource requirements would have to be lowered? Or, the amount of rewards per mission would have to be raised?

Are there any T4 fleets in which have under 100 players?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
And yes, most of the currency needed isn't that hard to get. I, alone, grind out half a million Dilithium per month; meaning I could upgrade an Embassy to T2 by myself in 2 months - using your "10500 Fleet Marks and 1000000 Dilithium" figure in your first post. So if I can get half in 1 month 2 players just grinding the standard 8k Dilithium per day can get the other half and the whole project's done in a month just by 3 Fleet members.
My hands would fall off.

Last edited by linyive; 05-16-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Captain
# 58
05-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Quote:
My hands would fall off.
I make 15-20k every day just playing around 2-2.5 hours. I probably play less STO per day then you do.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 59
05-16-2013, 09:52 PM
Quote:
I personally know someone who is in the process of filling the starbase tier 4 upgrade solo (I won't name them as they like their privacy) but it can be done with less than 100. 100 players can easily get the dilithium needed and refine 800000 per day. And there are some people who can grind like crazy and fill whole projects by themselves daily. Don't be using your fleet as an example if you refuse to clear out inactives.

Harden up Princess
Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
www.ausmonauts.com
Commander
# 60
05-16-2013, 10:11 PM
Quote:
So, we fall back on the resource solution? In order for smaller fleets to make timely progression, the resource requirements would have to be lowered? Or, the amount of rewards per mission would have to be raised?

My hands would fall off.
I'm in a tier 5 fleet with two players?

Hell. We got to a T5 shipyard first, in fact. :V