Starfleet Veteran
# 61
05-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Here's what happened in the Real world (For Real!)

Back in the day, TVs were invented. Only they were very expensive (like Fleet Starbases currently) and only the rick or those that worked long hours could afford one. So most people (small Fleets) went without.

THEN! after all the sales of TVs began to wane, they dropped the price lower and lower so those less fortunate (small Fleets) could afford them.

I expect Cryptic to do this with Fleet costs as well. Yes, many have put in long hours and worked hard on their Starbases, but do you think Sears ran about giving the people who bought their TVs at a higher price refunds?

The way it works is you pay a higher price for things NOW, then they lower the price for people who don't have those things later. I've seen it done in this very game over and over.

The only reason for not doing this now would be Dev Fleet prejudice, but I'm hoping they are bigger than that.
If your post is anything like, "I have a sandwich so you can't be starving" it's time to rethink posting.
Career Officer
# 62
05-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Let me be explicitly clear on this.

I am not an obsessive grinder, nor a full time player.

I do not come to STO to spend all day doing a series of repetitive tasks to earn virtual currency.

My patience is already at full stretch just gathering the fleet marks required.

And even then, I'm having to overlook some projects, because I don't particularly want to grind fleet marks for every single project we have running!

I'm not going to spend all day chasing dilithium in addition to that.
Career Officer
# 63
05-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
Let me be explicitly clear on this.

I am not an obsessive grinder, nor a full time player.

I do not come to STO to spend all day doing a series of repetitive tasks to earn virtual currency.

My patience is already at full stretch just gathering the fleet marks required.

And even then, I'm having to overlook some projects, because I don't particularly want to grind fleet marks for every single project we have running!

I'm not going to spend all day chasing dilithium in addition to that.
Cool. No one is forcing you to. It's not like you are owed the Elite ships/equipment and the game is keeping it from you. They're rewards for playing, not ransoms.

July 12, 2012 - January 24, 2013
It's been a long road, getting from there to here~
Commander
# 64
05-17-2013, 02:16 AM
even if the amount of fleets 'owned 'by 1 player is for example 1, then you just ask youre 2 best friends/fleetmembers to start a new one, so its on another name,and make you xo,and give full permission, in that way the owner stil controls 2 fleets, or make a new alt/@handle, and you can do the same..

every system got loophole's, its just a matter of time for someone to find the hole, and use it.
Commander
# 65
05-17-2013, 03:52 AM
look i feel your pain my fleet works with a couple small fleets to help them progress i know its tough for you but in the long run you will be more proud of your achivment then the mega fleets anyways

hold strong cryptic is as stubborn as a mule and they will refuse to change things.

the best advice i have is ask for help setup a rank that can donate but not take anything etc and allow those that are seeking fleet credit to help you they have excess of things that they can't donate to their own fleet because of being in a megafleet these people are out there and they want credits to buy things use them to your advantage!
Andy@andy30
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1615554000&dateline=1  365460663
Captain
# 66
05-17-2013, 09:57 AM
They're a "metric driven" company. Just stop working on your starbase. It's just one statistic point, but the more people who don't engage in the starbase rat race, the more Cryptic will have to revise their pigheadedness -- Cryptic ultimately should want as many people as possible to buy fleet ships and spend dilithium for weapons/armor. I do not see an upside to them insisting on the ridiculous "25 man" average aside from a misguided idea that social engineering like that would somehow bring in more profit.
Leave nerfing to the professionals.
Captain
# 67
05-17-2013, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomictiki View Post
They're a "metric driven" company. Just stop working on your starbase. It's just one statistic point, but the more people who don't engage in the starbase rat race, the more Cryptic will have to revise their pigheadedness -- Cryptic ultimately should want as many people as possible to buy fleet ships and spend dilithium for weapons/armor. I do not see an upside to them insisting on the ridiculous "25 man" average aside from a misguided idea that social engineering like that would somehow bring in more profit.
Except that their current system is a double payday: They get money from the "lazy" people willing to buy the Dilithium and then they get money from those people buying Modules to get the ships and various gear.

Making it possible to easily get to a T5 Fleet and Embassy cuts off one whole revenue stream - and severely crushes the Dilithium Exchange rates as well, which makes the grinders unhappy.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 68
05-17-2013, 10:07 AM
the only thing i really like about fleet bases is the look, ability to hang out, and playing with friends.

i am not a fan of the amount of resources anything takes to create the next tier, or cool little thing.

yeah, i will prob get backhanded for this comment but here goes: in the original Star Wars MMO, you could get a house at little to no cost, the treasures you earned could be displayed, you could build towns around ones guild. the cost to share this per person was nothing as comapred to STO, which made it more fun to contribute, or build larger houses when you outlived the smaller one.

there was talk of letting people have rooms on board these bases and that has yet to surface, but at the progression level things are at now, i am uncertain i would desire to "work" that hard for a room...

the idea is fun, the progression is not.

for some it may be easier than others, for some, they may desire to just play and have fun, contribute what they can, but not feel as if they are soley logging on to accomplish that in-and-of-itself.

gratz to those who feel this is easy and have accomplished a full SB.

remember though, not everyone is you, or plays like you, maybe has more outside life responsibilities than you.

i understand the OPs point, and many of the responses, both for and against the topic, but i will personally say i am no fan of the system in place as it just seems more work than fun.

peace out.
was sir_james_of_cadiz on cryptics forums...did not get to keep the name

Captain
# 69
05-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Making it possible to easily get to a T5 Fleet and Embassy cuts off one whole revenue stream - and severely crushes the Dilithium Exchange rates as well, which makes the grinders unhappy.
On the other hand, it significantly raised the likelihood of people making purchases that require dilithium or fleet modules. I'd love to buy the Fleet versions of my Armitage, my ACR or my Intrepid, and would likely shell out for the FMs to do so, but I can't because making the T4-T5 jump is going to take my fleet at least another year.
Captain
# 70
05-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling191 View Post
On the other hand, it significantly raised the likelihood of people making purchases that require dilithium or fleet modules. I'd love to buy the Fleet versions of my Armitage, my ACR or my Intrepid, and would likely shell out for the FMs to do so, but I can't because making the T4-T5 jump is going to take my fleet at least another year.
You could simply get a temp invite to a Fleet which is T4/5. I might cost you a few million EC but many people are doing it. You can then buy whatever ship you want and go back to your own Fleet and continue your grinding.

The proposed Fleet Alliance system would deal with that problem as well.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.