Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Captain
# 11
05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelchenchuan View Post
The Tal Shiar are part of the RSE. There is an RSE. There is that huge swath of Cyan covering the Beta Quadrant that is the RSE.

D'Tan is not a major faction but a small group of malcontents on a planet far away from our homeworlds and established planets.

My point was that simply because they are "enemy" Romulans doesnt automatically make them Tal Shiar.

You encounter several Captains in the episodes who are military and not Tal Shiar. Tal Shiar has ranks of Major and Colonel. Not Commander and Sub Commander.

All Tal Shiar are Romulans but not all Romulans are Tal Shair.

But regardless your orginal premise is correct. I think a better description would be to refer to them as "Imperial Romulans" and opposed to the (faux) Republican Romulans.
Thank you for pointing that out for people. Sadly, Cryptic appears to be retconning out all references to non Tal-Shiar military forces within the Romulan Star Empire. Witness their steadfast aversion to even mentioning the words 'Romulan Star Empire' by the devs in their interviews-they want everyone to forget that they ever wrote that the RSE was ever anything but the mustache-twirling evil empire to the Luke Skywalker rebel alliance of the RR. To acomplish that, it appears that it is convenient to remove any references to folk who would fight for Sela for any other reason other than being part of the evil Tal Shiar conspiracy. Every Romulan has to be either psychotically evil, or champing at the bit to throw away their culture and join the RR.
Rihannsu
# 12
05-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
Every Romulan has to be either psychotically evil, or champing at the bit to throw away their culture and join the RR.
Or a mislead puppet who legitimately believes blatant propaganda even after it's been proven false, like Charva or certain members of the forums.

Rather or not they call themselves the Star Empire or the Tal Shiar, we know who's really in charge. They didn't even hide that in TNG. Call a spade a spade.
Captain
# 13
05-14-2013, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaanithegreen View Post
Or a mislead puppet who legitimately believes blatant propaganda even after it's been proven false, like Charva or certain members of the forums.

Rather or not they call themselves the Star Empire or the Tal Shiar, we know who's really in charge. They didn't even hide that in TNG. Call a spade a spade.
Well, prior to STO, the Praetor and senate was in charge. in STO prior to LoR, Sela was in charge. The Tal Shiar has always been a powerful political entity, but they have also always had competition. Read through the data files in the path to 2409. Sela and the senate get the funding cut for the Tal Shiar-they can be fought on political terms. Granted, it didn't work out for Sela in the end-but she came back. prior to LoR, there was no real indication that the relationship between Sela and the Tal Shiar was anything near as cozy it has now been retconned into being-indeed, it was implied that they were practically at each other's throats.

At any rate, I found the whole story arc with Charva to be increadibly irritating. The only purpose of the arc was to basically absolve the RR of any and all wrongdoing. To make it clear (as if we needed to be bludgeoned about the head any longer) that theRR is the White hats, and the RSE is the black hats, no ifs nor buts. It was so heavy handed and telegraphed from a mile away-I could barely stand it.
Starfleet Veteran
# 14
05-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by domvina View Post
I just finished an exploration quest where I was tasked with checking a Romulan facility.

*tugs collar uncomfortably*

If I were a bit stronger with RP I'd have said, "Great for them. Set course to exit the system."

Then my First Officer tells me quite ominously a Romulan ship is coming.

Errr... *looks around at bridge of her Romulan ship*

Now that we have an active Romulan "faction" the standard text for the quests should be reviewed. Peg that sort of stuff on the Tal Shiar. ^.~
During the mission "Frozen", one of my crew at the sight of a D'deridex-class Warbird de-cloaking, exclaims: "Romulans! The batteship is powering disruptors, Captain".

So yeah, it should probably have just said: "Warbird de-cloaking! They're powering disruptors, Captain".
---------------------------------------------------
U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-91771 - Nebula-class
Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
Dedication Plaque: "Leave nothing unattempted" - James Cook

Last edited by amosov78; 05-14-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Rihannsu
# 15
05-14-2013, 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
Well, prior to STO, the Praetor and senate was in charge.
In the same way that North Korea is a democratic republic.
Captain
# 16
05-19-2013, 09:25 PM
Yes, those references should be changed to Tal Shiar and/or Romulan Empire.
Captain
# 17
05-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Quote:
Dont try to be a smartass.

The Tal shiar are a part of the Romulan Star Empire, the Preator is the leader of the Romulan Star Empire and head of the Romulan Continuing Committee, now guess who WASNT a member of the Continuing Committee? Koval that happened to be the chairman of the Tal Shiar.

Cryptic make the Tal Shiar some military movement that was only one aspect of the organization, they DID had a separate military force but at the end there was the Romulan Senate that controlled then, if not you had Continuing Committee and you could be sure the Preator did controlled them.

Cryptic seems too busy retconning their own work so Sela and the Tal Shiar being BFFs all along, at least made Sela disposing of whoever was head of the Tal Shiar with Hakeev taking control after or something, its not even hard to do that ....
Former Star Trek Online Player

Last edited by f2pdrakron; 05-19-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Career Officer
# 18
05-20-2013, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordinsane View Post
The Freedom arc is bad in that regard - Romulans of the Romulan Republic certainly wouldn't keep referring to the Tal Shiar and Sela's Empire as 'the Romulans' (I could see T'Nae doing it, though. She is supposed to be a tad un-Vulcan when it comes to Romulans, after all).
Un-Vulcan? I think the refusal from the Vulcans to help stop Hobus from going nova makes it quite clear what the Vulcan stance on Romulans is don't you? Besides, unlike us short lived humans she has had to deal with decades of Romulan duplicity and underhandedness. If it turned out the whole RR was really another Tal-Shiar trick she wouldn't really be surprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeybacon90 View Post
Ugh, I hate T'Nae. I don't think they could have picked two worse characters to "persuade" the Romulan players to ally with the Federation. Think of what Captain Shon and Admiral Quinn could have accomplished instead.
Quinn is a personality blank and Shon is an idiot that somehow managed to get a perfectly good Defiant class ship blown up from under him. And then gets promoted to captain the flagship? Truly, we have another fail-Pcard in the making here! That is all the game has seen fit to show us of either. T'nae clearly loves the Federation and has protected it against Romulan machinations longer than the average player's character has been alive. Why do you think they posted her at Starbase 39? Because she has experience dealing with Romulans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorceror01 View Post
....you are a bad starship captain and you should feel bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tachyonharmonic View Post
However, I think with regard to the Romulan Republic player characters/npcs, it all comes down to a finite point:

These are not the Romulans from the shows.

Last edited by skyranger1414; 05-20-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Rihannsu
# 19
05-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2pdrakron View Post
Dont try to be a smartass.

The Tal shiar are a part of the Romulan Star Empire, the Preator is the leader of the Romulan Star Empire and head of the Romulan Continuing Committee, now guess who WASNT a member of the Continuing Committee? Koval that happened to be the chairman of the Tal Shiar.
There hasn't been a Continuing Committee in 22 years. The last Praetor fled Rator 3 to go into hiding.

The current state occupying Romulan space is not the Romulan Star Empire from TNG, no matter what they call themselves. That ended when Shinzon dissolved the Senate (literally). The Empire then split in two states, both claiming to be the legitimate Romulan government, had a civil war, recombined after the traditionalists started to lose, and then got blown apart by Hobus.

Given that the Klingons have already taken the word "Empire", maybe they do need to call it something else, maybe the Romulan Military (which is mentioned as still existing). Just don't call them the "Romulans".
Rihannsu
# 20
05-20-2013, 11:50 AM
Quote:
It wasnt until Shinzons grab for a dictatorship that it became like north korea. Until then the RS#E was controlled by the senate which was a governing body of councils and procouncils that represented the people and helped move Rpmulus along. When Shinzon melted the members of the Senate, he assumed the title of Praetor but really he was little more than a two bit jack wad . Donatra ( realizing her stupidity ) knew her ship wasnt capable of defeating the scimitar, but chose to make an attempt to stop Shinzon anyway. She did not expect to find Picard sitting there with the Enterprise, but i'm sure she thought on one hand it was a welcome sight, and on the other, just one more jackwad to have to put down if he turned out to be an ass. Either way, Shinzon was going to go down, for the good of the Romulan people so that the Senate could be rebuilt, and order could be restored. She was not tal'Shiar, but she was an esteemed member of the Senate ( her chair was three chairs down from the Praetors ( watch the movie ).