Commander
# 41
05-14-2013, 02:35 PM
So how do you get gear if you can't do STFs ...?
Commander
# 42
05-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Wow...if you think you need Mk XII purples to do an ESTF you must really suck. Like, "how on Earth did you manage to open the game window, log in, and join the server?" bad. You could probably run the freakin' things in Mk I whites for crying out loud.
Somebody getting uppity about canon? No problem! Just take a deep breath, and repeat after me:

Spock's Brain.
Survivor of Romulus
# 43
05-14-2013, 04:07 PM
We did once try running them on unarmed combat only (no armor) and playing the theme tune to monkey in the background

took over an hour but we did finish
Captain
# 44
05-14-2013, 04:10 PM
I think any gearscore that gets implemented into STO ought to run on advanced metrics. None of these BS counting stats like Deeps and Heelz.

I'm talking the MMO version of Wins Above Replacement. OPS+. Total Zone rating. And even some of those basketball stats that monitor efficiency, like True Shooting Percentage. Per 36s. That kind of stuff.

Really push the score into an all-encompassing evaluation of what one brings to the table.
Career Officer
# 45
05-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpet View Post
can u put gear score here and lock elite stf to everyone who dont have full epic gear,so much ppl coming there whit mx10 or worse gear since they dont need better gear to can enter
Perhaps if this proposal made coherent sense I might actually consider it as a serious idea.

Given that it doesn't, however, I can honestly say that this is the single worst idea in the history of STO's playerbase. It would be like only allowing people onto the forums if they could form a coherent sentence.

Now that's not a bad idea.

Furthermore, how do you know that the people you're playing with have got "Mk X or worse gear"? Are you asking everyone afterwards? Or are you just assuming that games gone badly are the fault of your teammates and their supposedly-sub-par weapons?

Remember - a bad workman blames his tools.

I rock up to STFs on my Klingon alt with Mk XI gear and don't ever have much problem. I don't think i've been in an STF that failed - or indeed failed the optional - in about three months of gameplay. My Fed Tac has only one purple item on her ship - Quad Cannons - everything else is just common Mk XI gear, and she barely ever has a problem.

So yeah; No. This is a bad idea.
We are legion. The time of our return is coming.
Our numbers will darken the sky of every world.
You cannot escape your doom.

Last edited by johngazman; 05-14-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Starfleet Veteran
# 46
05-14-2013, 04:44 PM
DPS meters like ACT already measure player damage output performance. This is all that's needed since a monkey with a full arsenal of purples is won't match the productivity of a seasoned player who knows his how to use his / her build and skill rotations.
Survivor of Romulus
# 47
05-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
As an aside, when did making a joke become trolling?
I did say "or something", which could have included "joking"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sollvax View Post
if you had run a stf with the two guys I got paired with last friday you might not consider it such a joke

one of them spent the entire time shouting "yippee kai ay (deleted) " and kirk rolling
and the other one lay on the ground shouting Help in german for half the mission
had it not been for an Andorian tactical and a Rather helpful (and definately insane) federation klingon speced for melee we would probably still be at it
Well of course. There's always going to be idiots in STF's. That has little or nothing to do with their gear level, which was the point of my previous post. The lack or presence of a certain set of gear means absolutely nothing except that the person acquired that gear at some point.

I still want bare feet.... on ALL costumes.
Captain
# 48
05-14-2013, 07:32 PM
May I remind you that almost a year ago my fleet sent in a team of 5 tier 1 ships into ISE and we won. If mirandas can beat ESTFs, than a tier 5 ship without purples can. If you struggle to beat STFs without purples, you're doing something horribly wrong (not including 'skill level' of most pugs).

Harden up Princess
Looking for an Oceanic fleet? Check out our website:
www.ausmonauts.com
Career Officer
# 49
05-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakesfistatsky View Post
No...absolutely not. I have all MkXii purples and I loathe this elitist nonsense. It's ythe height of arrogance to limit someone else's enjoyment of the game because they're pixels aren't purple enough for you. If that's what you want go back to WOW.
you sir are a word scholar I could not have said it better myself ......OP you are dismissed
look for me in game as "Admiral Quinn" yeah that admiral quinn..and while your at it get off muh station!!!
Survivor of Romulus
# 50
05-14-2013, 09:51 PM
I honestly think a single player tutorial of each mission before you can do STF's that teaches people how to play is better than a you must be this high to ride gate that is Gear Score.

The game does tell you what to do and where you went wrong, but who actually reads those boxes. Yes you would be locked out till you successfully complete the mission but it would tell you what to do.

There would be some changes, for example you'd have help with the BoPs in Cure Space, You'd beam over explosives to 3 of the Generators in Infected Space and blow them when you kill the 4th one. You'd have an assistant in Khitomar Space to do the other side probes.

My ships run mostly Mk XI Blues, some of my newer ships run whites. I think my Kitty Carrier needs a better configuration rather than better gear. My KDF Carrier runs rings around it in DPS with lesser gear.
I was once DKnight1000, apparently I had taken my own name so now I'm DKnight0001.
If I ask you a question it is not an insult but a genuine attempt to understand why.
When I insult you I won't be discreet about it, I will be precise and to the point stupid.