Captain
# 21
05-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamank View Post
I believe this answers your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5QGkOGZubQ.

Cryptic does not want people to buy LTS or Gold memberships. That is why they do not make having a gold subscription attractive. They want your money bit by bit or better yet key by key rather then to have a stable income coming in from subscriptions.

Its about the micro-transactions baby!

If I was offered a LTS for $99 USD or a Gold for $9.99 /mo, I would whip out my credit card before the sales rep could finish their sentence.

Ive been in business for over 10 years and I have learned cold, hard, real money always trumps potential money any day. As the old saying goes, A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
The LTS is a good value if you are going to be playing for a long time and you are going to creating lots of character. The LTS will paying for itself many times over for all of the services you get (respecs, custom changes, ship changes, extra characters lots, extras ship slots, inventory slots, bank slots, etc). If you are only going to play a couple of character or just every now and then, staying Silver and buying stuff as you want it is the way to go.
Commander
# 22
05-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkson2 View Post
I have the LTS since beta and very much enjoy it. I highly recommend it
I see you also bought the Legacy pack as well. While I will say was a good honest attempt by Cryptic, I believe it is a waste in my opinion. I love all new Green Forum titles. Lets me know exactly who all the suckers are. After you play the complete storyline and get to Romulan end game, I bet maybe half of what you bought will provide value. At that rate it would have been wiser to buy it piece by piece from the C-Store.

LTS since Beta? That was a huge gamble and I must say that it paid off well for you. If I had the for-thought to buy a LTS when I started, March 2011, I would have to agree with you. But to shell out 300 dollars on a LTS now where it offers nothing great in return except the stipend and vet rewards. The bank slots and other perks can be gained for free by trading DIL for Zen. If I knew this game was going to be around for another 3-5 years and if I would continue playing that long as well then maybe the $300 would be worth it.

$300 dollars is a car payment, including insurance.
Career Officer
# 23
05-18-2013, 04:42 PM
Quote:
$300 dollars is a car payment, including insurance.
If cars - or insurance for that matter - were that cheap (and reliable) there'd be no point walkin'.

Try ?2,500 + ?1000 insurance. $300 is small change in comparison.
| Sarah Walker - U.S.S. Solstice | Eden Taryd - I.K.S. Varchas | Ariennye Kyla - R.R.W. T'virixia |
| Jan Idaris - U.S.S. Atlas | Sorval - I.K.S. Reclaw | T'Mara Praex - R.R.W. Ventarix |
| Keval th'Zareth - U.S.S. Avenger | Do'Zahn - I.K.S. K't'rika | Ayel D'amarok - R.R.W. N'ventar |
Ensign
# 24
05-18-2013, 04:56 PM
I love the LTS. For one, I got it during a sale, so I only spent $200. Two, when I leave the game and come back, like I am coming back now for Legacy of Romulus, I have thousands of Zen from my monthly stipend waiting for me that I can spend on all the new juicy Romulan content.
Commander
# 25
05-18-2013, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngazman View Post
If cars - or insurance for that matter - were that cheap (and reliable) there'd be no point walkin'.

Try ?2,500 + ?1000 insurance. $300 is small change in comparison.
No clue what you are saying here. In the US were there are no oppressive VAT taxes you can get a decent car and insure it for around 300 USD assuming you have good credit. If you are not under 21 or accident prone insurance should not cost more then 50-80 bucks a month.
Captain
# 26
05-18-2013, 05:24 PM
It isn't fair to call people suckers for buying the packs. Aslong as they are happy what does it matter.
Commander
# 27
05-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
It isn't fair to call people suckers for buying the packs. Aslong as they are happy what does it matter.
Life is not fair. Actually the concept of fairness is just ridiculous. The minute people realize this they would stop acting upset and surprised when their incomes, homes and wealth evaporate. Nothing in life is a sure thing or permanent, including life itself.

If I pay $100 for a 20 ounce Coke and because I enjoyed it that makes me less a sucker?
Captain
# 28
05-18-2013, 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vestereng View Post
Exactly. What people choose to do with their money is their own business.

Heck, half the people playing STO would probably be considered geek-fools for the things they buy: comic books, Trek novels, Trek memorabilia, going to conventions, seeing Sci-Fi movies, etc.

No one here is so ungeeky that they can choose to throw stones at other geeks. Just being here makes people geeks.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 29
05-18-2013, 06:12 PM
I couldn't disagree more.

Since sociality is hardwired into our dna we are all depending on oneanother. Fair is an expression of a natural fact no one can escape - in addition to common sense.

Some people buy a car for 20 million and let it sit in the garage losing more value everyday than anyone here earns.

If it makes them happy there really isn't anything higher to aim for.
Career Officer
# 30
05-18-2013, 09:48 PM
Quote:
LTS since Beta? That was a huge gamble and I must say that it paid off well for you.
Was pretty much a no-brainer to me ... LTS was on Sale before launch (=250$ = 170 Euro back then), one month sub was 13 Euro ... so it payed off after 13 months (15 months including VAT) ... I liked the game back then, and was pretty sure I was playing for at least one year ... and since even MMO's like "Matrix Online" lasted for ~5 years ... the risk of STO shutting down before the First year was pretty much Zero ... no need to gamble

Quote:
I see you also bought the Legacy pack as well. While I will say was a good honest attempt by Cryptic, I believe it is a waste in my opinion. I love all new Green Forum titles. Lets me know exactly who all the suckers are.
While I didn't buy the Legacy Pack, mostly because I already have access to FREE T5 Ships with LTS and don't really care about the other stuff ... I wouldn't judge other people for buying it ... from a certain point of view, people driving around in "decent cars" are "suckers" as well ...

Last edited by thutmosis85; 05-18-2013 at 09:55 PM.