Lt. Commander
# 11
05-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jymoward View Post
This is my first major issue with LoR.

There are no real player choices in Mindgame - except to proceed or not.

I stopped in the middle. I won't play this one. There are some things I won't do even in a game where I'm shooting everything in sight.

You have to make this in some way resistible - offer an alternative action, even if hidden.

If this does not change when it comes to Holodeck, I'll be skipping this mission every time.

No reward is worth compromising integrity, even in a game.
The whole point of that part is that you were brainwashed and have no way to resist it. The rest of the mission becomes my new favorite mission in STO.

Spoiler: In phase two the Doctor is really a Romulan Republic spy who removes your brainwashing. Then you get the chance to sabotage things in a very creative way before escaping.
Survivor of Romulus
# 12
05-16-2013, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufangchu View Post
yeahh, but then its easier for me to kill humans than animals anyway.. Yes, I AM a vietnam vet.. I AM a monster according to a great many people still and not much different than Hakeev ( and i never fired a single shot against another human being ).. Yes, I DID trigger on this mission, badly.. Those military ships? the pirates? all of em? i'll kill them a million times over. they knew the risks and they took their chances, It's they're turn to die.. The epoohs or whatever they are did not know the risks, they did not volunteer, and they do not deserve to die while defenseless and helpless..
This episode caused me to remember. I dont want to remember. That was fourty years ago and i dont want those memories any more. they arent fun, they arent part of a game and they are as offensive as it can possibly get. Just like this mission.
This is EXACTLY why I keep arguing that this mission needs a trigger warning. Well, this, and its distinct parallel to... pardon the rather clumsy euphemism, but the filter eats the word that really ought to be used here and the point desperately needs making... non-consensual intimate activity.

This mission is BRILLIANT. It would be a TERRIBLE loss to the game to delete it. But players absolutely need to be warned before playing it, because there are a lot of people who will have very bad reactions to it.
Captain
# 13
05-16-2013, 02:45 AM
Almost everything in the game could have a trigger warning. There are countless triggers that will set folks off depending on their life experience. Pick any mission, there are likely multiple triggers in each one - any mission - depending on what the person has gone through in their life.
Vice Admiral Geist, Klingon Science Officer
V.S.S. Oracle, D'Kyr-class Science Vessel
Career Officer
# 14
05-16-2013, 03:06 AM
Oh those poor Epohhs. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't save them.

There is a plus to this mission if done right: fan service. Hehe.

During the closed beta I had a sneaky suspicion they were going to add an accolade to this mission and they did, along with a title to display on my character. Out of curiosity after the character wipe, when I replayed the mission I did what I suspected I had to do and whoohoo!

Choose every single green option until you have only the red option(s) left for each 'task' (shooting your bridge officer, prepping a test subject for borg implants, killing epohhs, etc.). Do everything possible to resist the indoctrination. Example: when you are told to pick up a pistol off the table for your first task, keep refusing until the only option you have is to pick it up. And again for shooting your bridge officer, after you pick it up keep choosing the options not to shoot until it is your only option.

In the end, after you have done everything possible to to resist the Tal'Shiar indoctrination you will be awarded the accolade "There are four lights!" and unlock the "Defiant" title to display on your character.
Rihannsu
# 15
05-16-2013, 03:24 AM
I'm not saying to remove the mission from the game, but give us the option of not playing it.. It's a mainline mission, so it has to be played through. there is no choice. The player is forced to go through this.. I'd rather not again ( of course after doing the Vault three times in a row ( different characters ) I'd rather not relive all the lvl 30 - 40 missions over again, but it doesnt look like much choice there either..
Rihannsu
# 16
05-16-2013, 03:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybone13 View Post

In the end, after you have done everything possible to to resist the Tal'Shiar indoctrination you will be awarded the accolade "There are four lights!" and unlock the "Defiant" title to display on your character.
Monkey?/ is there somewhere that tells us how to turn on those titles.. i know i earned the one your talking about....
Captain
# 17
05-16-2013, 03:29 AM
There are very few missions that you cannot skip....er...

I couldn't even begin to guess how many rerolls I've done. I almost always skip Vault. I almost always skip the Cardassian/Dominion stuff. I usually skip the Deferi stuff.

You can hit 50 on a toon before even hitting the middle of the second story arc.

If various things in the story are offensive - you don't have to play them.

You can level up without touching any of the story (outside of the tutorials on a fresh account - otherwise, you can skip those too)...
Captain
# 18
05-16-2013, 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wufangchu View Post
Monkey?/ is there somewhere that tells us how to turn on those titles.. i know i earned the one your talking about....
Bring up Character Status.
Click Edit Record.
Click Set Title and select it from the dropdown.

Btw, much like you can get Defiant for resisting...
...you can get Hakeev's Puppet for complying.
Captain
# 19
05-16-2013, 03:31 AM
This mission is in place to show us just how evil Hakeev and Sela are.

They force you to...

Shoot your friend. Bomb fluffy creatures. Implant a republic officer with borg drone parts.

Nothing a normal human person or any Starfleet officer does. The last part is rough even for Klingons.

Basically everything they can do to show just how evil that couple of villains are.

And yes, I feel sorry about the poor epohhs.

Not only they are fluffy, but they are like gold on four legs.

Two epohhs could get me a Hyper plasma torpedo launcher... they took my launcher! Revenge!
Let us wear Swimsuits on Foundry maps or bridges please! I would pay zen for that.
Ensign
# 20
05-16-2013, 03:33 AM
I believe you open your Character Sheet (U), click Edit Profile, and set it there.

For me, I'm still on the fence about whether the accolade or the big fight at the end of the chain was my favorite part