Rihannsu
# 11
05-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Saw this coming, but I am far more interested in the possibility of character slots going on sale before the big release. Any chances of that, branflakes?
Lieutenant
# 12
05-17-2013, 01:03 AM
I don't really call 15% off a sale. Take the key, hit a lockbox and you have a .4% chance to get the good ship.

If the odds were a bit higher, like 5-7%, then yeah keys may be worth it but as it is now, they're not. All the boxes I have opened have always given me the lowest tier of stuff, never, ever the top or middle tier. So where's my incentive to spend my hard earned cash on a .4% chance?
Lt. Commander
# 13
05-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Bought 10 keys. Got a D'Kora. Thanks Cryptic.

*looks at pile of old Cardassian boxes.. Hmm... *
Captain
# 14
05-17-2013, 01:55 AM
I stopped opening boxes a long time ago. Why? The boxes NEVER give anything good! At the start of the year, I decided to see if Cryptic had redeemed itself. NO! I opened 50 Dominion boxes (literally, 50). I got 30 doff boxes, 4 mining claims, and the rest were a bunch of useless ground weapons.

I still want the Jemmy HEC! Where is my HEC?

So lesson learned? Don't even think of opening boxes. Just sell the keys for Credits. Had I done that, those 50 keys might have gotten enough Credits to just buy the HEC.

Click here to view my DeviantArt.
Captain
# 15
05-17-2013, 01:59 AM
Luck of the draaw. I opened two Cardy boxes when the FE was first out and they made their first appearance. First gave me something useless to me so sold it on the exchange, the second gave me a Galor.
Captain
# 16
05-17-2013, 03:17 AM
I don't see it that way. When you open (literally) 50 and only get doff boxes and mining claims, something is very wrong. It is anything but luck.

Rihannsu
# 17
05-17-2013, 03:44 PM
That is why many are against lockboxes, because they are a risky gamble. You could get the desired item out of your first box, or out of your thousanth. I had a fleetmate get the Jem'hadar bug out of his 2nd box, the carrier out of his 10th; another opened hundreds and got squat. It's basically like playing the slots in vegas; you're likely to lose more money than you gain reward.
Captain
# 18
05-17-2013, 06:55 PM
In the end, the Dilithium or/and Zen spent on all those keys equals out to more than double the Dilithium or/and Zen required to buy the entire Vesta Pack, which I may just go ahead and do.

Lieutenant
# 19
05-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Well let's see, got 14 keys today, some with credits, some with zen. Opened 14 boxes for giggles.

56 lobi crystals

and

14 standard duty officer packs

WTH!

Come on Cryptic, enough with this BS, give us better odds at something decent besides common duty officers. I can see 1-4x but ALL 14 boxes. Yes, they were the mixtures of boxes:

1 Dom
1 Temp
1 Ferengi
1 Card
1 Temp
1 Ferengi
1 Card
1 Dom
1 Ferengi
1 Card
1 Dom
1 Temp
1 Dom
1 Temp

In that order. Nothing but a rip off to get people to buy more zen. Congrats to others who got better stuff but honestly, after all that time and zen, I seriously feel ripped off.

Sorry, miscounted Lobi.

Last edited by dantivirus; 05-17-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Community Moderator
# 20
05-18-2013, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
i think cryptic missed a missed a massive opportunity here and should of placed this after the start of LoR by a week, perhaps 2 in order for the RR toons to benefit from this. you also could of done FE rerun, CE event and a zen promotion as well, make things interesting. then put out another lockbox at the start of LoR as the dominion lock box is retired to the event a week or 2 later.
The purpose of a sale is to get people to spend money when they wouldn't have, or to get people to spend money with you instead of your competitor when they would have spent money anyway.

Holding a sale when people were already going to spend money with you in large numbers just leaves profit on the table, instead of increasing it. However, you could buy lots and lots of keys now, and wait for the new box to use them.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online Forums. My views do not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment.
If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a 'forums and website' support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Follow me: Twitter,Google
Closed Thread