Lieutenant
# 1 Fleet Excelsior or Dreanought
04-09-2013, 06:50 PM
I have been looking to get a new ship, since my Ambassador is really not performing well in the survivability department (of course, that could be because of my own ineptitude). My poor ship is constantly one-hotted in STFs the second her shields drop.

Anyway, which should I go for? I have ALWAYS been a fan of the Excelsior class ship, but I also like the weaponry options of the Dreadnought (that spinal cannon just OOZES awesome). Any suggestions?

Also, any suggestions on consoles for extra survivability?
Captain
# 2
04-09-2013, 06:55 PM
The Fleet Excelsior is one of the most offensively powerful Cruisers in the game - and as a T5.5 ship (10 consoles) is is more powerful than the Galaxy X T5 (9 consoles). That X also turns slowly, like a Galaxy. My money's on the Excelsior.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 3
04-09-2013, 06:59 PM
If you gave more input on your build, and class, the forum could aid in making your ship a viable contender in stfs.Engineering consoles for stfs, neutronim,and I use an ablative for the plasma resists.Field generator for your shields in science will help keep your sheilds up.If your just starting in stfs, try the aegis set until you can unlock a borg set.Hope this helps.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Republic Veteran
# 4
04-09-2013, 07:02 PM
Career Officer
# 5
04-09-2013, 07:05 PM
If you are just looking for a new ship, then TC1 is right, the excelsior has way better manuverability than the dred.
That redshirt, Totally got vaped!!!
Lt. Commander
# 6
04-09-2013, 07:12 PM
I do love my Gal-X but sadly I must go with the Fleet Ex. It is stronger, more powerful (if less burst damage), and quicker. If the devs finally add saucer sep and make a fleet Gal-X I will have to rethink this.

Fleet quality ships are better in every way, using a T5 is like using a T4 back before fleet ships came out
Rihannsu
# 7
04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
Fleet excelsior may be the best cruiser on fed side. Galaxy x may be the worst
Lt. Commander
# 8
04-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Before you spend your money, post your stats here so the community can help you out. If you don't have the right build (gear, skill point allocations, and boff abilities) it wont matter what ship you have. I play elite STFs quite a bit, and I rarely get blasted because someone from the community took the time to show me what I was doing wrong. The STO community can be very helpful with things like this. Just don't get on the defensive if someone comes across as a little harsh right away, they mean no harm. Now those guys that sit there and constantly shout n00b without offering any helpful advice you can pretty much ignore because they probably know very little about how to help you. Remember though, the ship is only as good as its captain. I fly a Galaxy-X with a tac and I do just fine. I have a science officer in a Mirror Sovereign and I can solo a cube on elite without any problems most of the time. I have also spent my fair share of time in a Prometheus MVAE, an Excelsior-refit, a Luna, and an Ambassador and I do just fine in all of them. Put out a call for help and someone in the community that's real knowledgeable about that kind of stuff will help you. Rebuild yourself and if you're still not happy, then spend your money on a new ship.
SGT Milton Monzon, SGT Alexander Fuller, SGT Michael Bartley, SGT Martin LaMar
Rest in Peace Brothers
Career Officer
# 9
04-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxinvictus View Post
Fleet excelsior may be the best cruiser on fed side. Galaxy x may be the worst
Sadly I must agree. The lance is nice, but the cool-down to damage ratio makes it pretty useless. Excel is a sports car compared to the Galaxy's station wagon movement. And the LC Tac slot is great for getting that mk3 ability you want.

If I didn't dislike the look of the Excel and didn't had the Oddy, that's what I'd use.

Ambassador should be rugged enough, post your build so people can assist w/ tweaking it.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Commander
# 10
04-09-2013, 09:35 PM
the ambassador could live longer in a fire fight if you boff powers aux to sif, 2 engineneering teams. and science hazemitters 1 2 3.