Rihannsu
# 41
05-17-2013, 12:23 PM
I'm surprised people are having such a hard time with the last space battle, I haven't encountered the difficulties that have been reported. I can say that I took my time and got the majority of my weapons from last stand, so I had mostly caustic plasma weapons and man do they punch the elachi.

However I agree that the friendlies need to be upgraded some so that they can survive. because the three times I played the last mission in vengeance arc, most of them were dead by the end and frankly is sad.

The only mission I had a real hard time with was the atmo shuttle mission, that mission was just outright insane.
Career Officer
# 42
05-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulyssessolo16 View Post
I'm surprised people are having such a hard time with the last space battle, I haven't encountered the difficulties that have been reported. I can say that I took my time and got the majority of my weapons from last stand, so I had mostly caustic plasma weapons and man do they punch the elachi.

However I agree that the friendlies need to be upgraded some so that they can survive. because the three times I played the last mission in vengeance arc, most of them were dead by the end and frankly is sad.

The only mission I had a real hard time with was the atmo shuttle mission, that mission was just outright insane.
The shuttle mission was a breeze for me, it's the last space battle that gave me fits. Granted I do not have the plasma weapons which could have contributed to my many, many, many decaffeinations. Maybe it's just as simple as me being terrible with the Big Bird...the D'D is a pretty slow piglet.

Last edited by theantisaint; 05-17-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Rihannsu
# 43
05-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theantisaint View Post
The shuttle mission was a breeze for me, it's the last space battle that gave me fits. Granted I do not have the plasma weapons which could have contributed to my many, many, many decaffeinations. Maybe it's just as simple as me being terrible with the Big Bird...the D'D is a pretty slow piglet.
What build? I was playing a dragon build. That worked well.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Ensign
# 44
05-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaeko View Post
When I first experienced the mission, my character was already level 50, and I was using a T'varo Retrofit. The two initial waves were pretty well balanced, and generally enjoyable to go through. The final wave was, in contast, such a huge ramping up in difficulty that it became a process of dying and slowly thin out enemy numbers until I managed to compete.

People are worried whiners will get something 'good' toned down. Well, I'm not a whiner - I'm a tester whom is commenting on the difficulty level. I'm one of those guys whom trudge through the initial STFs and found ways to beat them. I was one of those guys whom was annoyed when they toned down the difficulty of the space enemies during STO's open beta.

From that standpoint, I'll just lend my voice to those saying that last wave goes too far. It does. It also gets old to get swatted aside like a fly repeatedly. Challenge is nice, but it shouldn't go so far as sour the fun of it either.

Personally, I'd want the number of enemies to remain the same. The key, I beleive, is to improve the NPC support the player has.

First of all, I'd increase it, and have some named Romulan Republic ships joining the fray be 'unkillable' as well - using vessels such as the Ha'apax-class R.R.W. Deihu and others can be nice for continuity (and also justify why there's still a flotilla afterwards - because apparently that's what's defending New Romulus).

Second, I'd suggest changing the unkillable mechanic from 'repairing once disabled' to 'the eternal 1 hitpoint'.That way, the allied ships remain enemy targets.

The point of this is giving the player proper support so that he not end up under an overwhelming amount of enemy pressure while maintaining the epic feel of being part of a climatic pitched battle for the new Romulan homeworld. Player death should still be possible, but it'd be better to elicit an "Oops" reaction from the player whom got too careless rather than a "Grr, again?!" to one whom is trying to do his best and not finding he can really compete.
I Agree..

And this would not be the first time Cryptic has made an encounter just a tad to much in terms of difficulty and needed it toned down.

Example being the mission Stop The Signal...The first missions were decent, however the final Tethys Dreadnaught fight at one point was tuned to be way to difficult to complete when the free to play beta was going on Tribble. The dreadnaught would wipe out the AI ships leaving you to face this ship and what was endless waves of Frigates getting spawned and every one of them aiming for you in made the mission all but impossible to finish.

Cryptic did admit it was tuned to be a bit to difficult and toned it down.

Remember everyone that Tribble is a test server.The same may be true here with a mission that may be tuned a bit to high or have a broken mechanic in it and may need to be toned down a bit or fixed
Career Officer
# 45
05-17-2013, 02:07 PM
The last space mission has me stumped. I have as some one stated only weapons gained from leveling up pluss some I got from Romulus Command. Yes they are common plasma beam arrays, but that should not matter, as I have done ESTF's with only common Mk something weapons. Other than that I use the shields and other stuff from leveling up. The DD is a very capable ship, thou my setup might be a bit sub par then what it might have been on Holo.

The first two waves went by comparatively easy, but the last wave is such a big leap in difficulty that I'm starting to wonder if it's actually tuned for advanced level difficulty, but I could be wrong.

There are simply too many enemy Elachi ships, and that big ol dreadnought. The dreadnought is neigh on impossible to kill. I have tried different setups, different BO's but nothing seems to help much.

The shields of the dreadnought has very high resists, and the HP of the bloody thing is insane.

As I said in the official Vengeance feedback thread, it feels like I'm fighting Donatra's SCIMITAR from KASE solo...

Something is a bit off with the entire encounter, especially with the FED/KDF re-inforcements. Those ships only seems to want to repair themselves in a never ending loop.

I would love to see the Enterprise F, as that ship is better than the re-inforcement combined.. Ok maybe not exactly, but still...

Last edited by otowi; 05-17-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Survivor of Romulus
# 46
05-17-2013, 02:31 PM
Nice idea about the Enterprise / Bortasqu' showing up or leading the reinforcements IMHO that is what the Federation at least would do.
Captain
# 47
05-17-2013, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umaeko View Post
Snoggy, Chenchuan actually has a point there - you're just filling holes in a nitpicky fashion

In Open Beta, the difficulty was toned down AND we didn't have difficulty sliders then as well. When they were added, we don't quite know for sure if Advanced did end up being equal to the pre-Open Beta tone down of the difficulty... but it's probably the closest.
I'm going to have to stick to my guns here. Yeah, they toned things down in the beta. But much of that was called for. There were some problems with their mechanics back then in the beta, and the tinkering was needed. Did they go overboard? Well that's a different topic. And one that should stay buried in the past when it was actually relevant. There's no going back to beta. But ...

What he's saying about what happened then is complete misinformation. There was no Advanced. Or Elite. So the story he's telling isn't how it happened. The Difficulty slider and those settings came well after launch. And created a whole mess of problems with the game all by themselves (like how they broke exploration maps).

That's not nitpicking.

That'd be like me saying something akin to:

When they released the Galaxy X, it broke the C-Store! (Not possible since the Galaxy X was first released as a recruit your friend reward and was added to the C-Store later).

Or

When the game launched Mk XII weapons had their drop rates nerfed! (Not possible since Mk XII didn't exist at launch).

Or

Particle Traces were too easy to obtain when the game launched! (Not possible since they didn't exist and crafting didn't require them at all).
Rihannsu
# 48
05-17-2013, 02:40 PM
I used a Dragon build when I did it. My general strategy was to distract the Elachi from firing on my allies by shooting them in the face with FaW, while simultaneously amping my weapon/shield power to insane levels. It worked reasonably well. Oh and I used Eject Warp plasma.

And yes, my gear was only what I got from vendors, random drops, and mission rewards.

I might not have even had all of my console slots filled......
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.

Last edited by markhawkman; 05-17-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Lt. Commander
# 49
05-17-2013, 03:20 PM
The only thing they have to do to fix this mission is to have the named reinforcements bring some generic friends with them. The point of the first two waves should be you and the Romulans holding out until your reinforcements arrive.

When the reinforcements do arrive, all you get are a few named hero ships. There are so many Elachi in the last wave that your hero unit reinforcements are all stuck repairing...causing them to be nothing but a minor distraction. The third wave should give you enough reinforcements to do the job since you theoretically bought yourself enough time in the first two waves for the reinforcements to arrive.
Rihannsu
# 50
05-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crappyturbo View Post
Nice idea about the Enterprise / Bortasqu' showing up or leading the reinforcements IMHO that is what the Federation at least would do.
I'd avoid that. >_>

Chronologically, the Revenge arc is behind "The 2800". Shon's Belfast isn't destroyed yet - the Belfast is actually part of the Federation reinforcements - and he hasn't been given the command of the Enterprise-F yet.

The mission where the Enterprise-F makes her first appearance is later in the Romulan mission progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoggymack22 View Post
That's not nitpicking.
I concede the point, Snoggy.
Mhae ir-Circini t'Rillas, R.R.W Temer

Last edited by umaeko; 05-17-2013 at 05:51 PM.