Captain
# 51
05-17-2013, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I used a Dragon build when I did it. My general strategy was to distract the Elachi from firing on my allies by shooting them in the face with FaW, while simultaneously amping my weapon/shield power to insane levels. It worked reasonably well. Oh and I used Eject Warp plasma.

And yes, my gear was only what I got from vendors, random drops, and mission rewards.

I might not have even had all of my console slots filled......
this is what i did not even all the same mk level equipment is was a rainbow of beams and took forever but it can be done

the tier 3 mogia might do better if you can get a transphasic form a drop and torp spread 3 with it
Captain
# 52
05-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter1z9 View Post
The only thing they have to do to fix this mission is to have the named reinforcements bring some generic friends with them. The point of the first two waves should be you and the Romulans holding out until your reinforcements arrive.

When the reinforcements do arrive, all you get are a few named hero ships. There are so many Elachi in the last wave that your hero unit reinforcements are all stuck repairing...causing them to be nothing but a minor distraction. The third wave should give you enough reinforcements to do the job since you theoretically bought yourself enough time in the first two waves for the reinforcements to arrive.
they do bring friends they just get wiped out instantly form the green cones of death
Survivor of Romulus
# 53
05-18-2013, 06:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
I used a Dragon build when I did it. My general strategy was to distract the Elachi from firing on my allies by shooting them in the face with FaW, while simultaneously amping my weapon/shield power to insane levels. It worked reasonably well. Oh and I used Eject Warp plasma.

And yes, my gear was only what I got from vendors, random drops, and mission rewards.

I might not have even had all of my console slots filled......
Hmm.. I tried something close to the Dragon build, but with a few minor changes that suits me better.

That some of you are beating the mission with apparant ease, and some of us ends up blown into tiny pieces time and again does point out that something is not quite right with this mission.

It might be builds, but you should not require a specific build to be able to complete this mission. Also that fact that the dreadnought is very hard considering the level this is played at. The dreadnought is bad enough alone, but the other Elachi ships supporting it means that it's very hard. And said support ships aggroes you when you attack the dreadnought, so it's a dreadnought and it's support ships blowing you into yet more space dust...

And the fact that the allied support ships just sits there repairing does not exactly help the matter at hand either.
Career Officer
# 54
05-18-2013, 07:15 AM
I still haven't figured out why the thread owner has named this discussion "The Elachi are ridiculus" ... he complains about 1 mission and the seeming imbalance of the Elachi ships in that Episode... but thats it... and if they were ridiculous he wouldn't have that hard a time beating them...

Seriously... I think the Elachi are an interesting enemy and unusual for Star Trek. The story tells almost nothing about who and what they are... they are related to the Iconians in some way. The entire Fungus thing is creepy enough though. Their ships seem not to be very much biotech at least from the outside. And where they came from remains mysterious. Since Species 8472 aka Undine no new enemy was as mysterious as these creatures. Not That the concept has not been used in other SciFi shows.

When reading through this topic i was expecting some point of view on who or what the Elachi are... nothing of that so far. A lot of advice how to fight them yes and some more or less relevant critics on the imbalance of the aformentioned Episode.

So still... why are the Elachi ridiculus???
Career Officer
# 55
05-18-2013, 07:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontdrunkimshoot View Post
never bothered leveling up that high, again, but it sounds like theres an actually challenging mission to look forward too. unless all this wineing about it gets it nerfed into nothing. seriously, the average pve'er uses their ship to about 10% of its potential, and the devs balance the pve based on those people. thats why space pve is so frigging bad.
the op has a valid point, the defense of new romulus has one too many ships on the enemy side on the final wave alone, you end up respawning more times then you care to imagine. the command ship needs an adjustment to its defense stats, because as it is even on a default layout it is impossible. typically even on standard STF's you can make an impression on enemy ship shields and hull alike with that default layout so i fail to see why you can not defeat the command ship by yourself as it should be, where as the stf typically requires 5 players.

i only did that mission once but i believe a strategy change is required though due to the amount of enemy ships and the very limited support assuming cryptic are not interested in a balance change, attacking the small stuff and working the way up (what i call "knocking the support pins out from underneath it."), removing the smaller stuff takes more unnecessary dps out of the picture and increasing the survivability odds which weakens the enemy... assuming you survive long enough to do such a thing.

it is the only real badly balanced thing i have seen in STO for quite some time.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T6 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T6 hero ship.

Last edited by mirrorchaos; 05-18-2013 at 07:30 AM. Reason: minor revisions.
Survivor of Romulus
# 56
05-18-2013, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanis2012 View Post
I still haven't figured out why the thread owner has named this discussion "The Elachi are ridiculus" ... he complains about 1 mission and the seeming imbalance of the Elachi ships in that Episode... but thats it... and if they were ridiculous he wouldn't have that hard a time beating them...

Seriously... I think the Elachi are an interesting enemy and unusual for Star Trek. The story tells almost nothing about who and what they are... they are related to the Iconians in some way. The entire Fungus thing is creepy enough though. Their ships seem not to be very much biotech at least from the outside. And where they came from remains mysterious. Since Species 8472 aka Undine no new enemy was as mysterious as these creatures. Not That the concept has not been used in other SciFi shows.

When reading through this topic i was expecting some point of view on who or what the Elachi are... nothing of that so far. A lot of advice how to fight them yes and some more or less relevant critics on the imbalance of the aformentioned Episode.

So still... why are the Elachi ridiculus???
They walk funny?
Commander
# 57
05-18-2013, 07:28 AM
That last wave is brutal, especially with only drops that far. But its not the individual ships, its the mass that makes it ugly.

Some of them do extend shields, some do repairs, you get VM periodically, tractor mines that last until you kill them, which are fired via torpedo.

Tack on that basically every elachi ship can space jump, all but the fighters have the green cone that fires some sort of disruptor wave, and that they basically spider tank, it can get brutal.

My third wave came in, and they all coned at the same time, it murdered the npc fleet almost instantly. and with all the spider tanking, killing the command ship is hard, and thinning the ranks can be tricky when trying to dodge out of all those cones.

I don't think any given elachi ship is all that bad, tricky for some builds and ships, but not unbeatable. its this particular mix, in these numbers, plus how they fight that can turn the third wave from difficult into a meat grinder.

I don't think the ships them selves need to be tweaked, or the ai, though the mix and number of ships in the last wave might need a bit of adjusting.

Last edited by verline1; 05-18-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Career Officer
# 58
05-18-2013, 07:46 AM
I have a Theory on why some people me included kept getting Vaporised here.

Well question first; People who got lets call it it spaced (just blown to bits every time you spawn) around what time of day was it?
part two of the Question the people who found it easier, around what time of day was it?

My theory is this, for some reason it was spawning in enemies for players in groups rather than the individual player, what I mean, More people doing the mission meant more Elachi ships to fight for everyone although the player was not grouped.

I am probably wrong but that's my theory
Survivor of Romulus
# 59
05-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenosisuk View Post
I have a Theory on why some people me included kept getting Vaporised here.

Well question first; People who got lets call it it spaced (just blown to bits every time you spawn) around what time of day was it?
part two of the Question the people who found it easier, around what time of day was it?

My theory is this, for some reason it was spawning in enemies for players in groups rather than the individual player, what I mean, More people doing the mission meant more Elachi ships to fight for everyone although the player was not grouped.

I am probably wrong but that's my theory
Not a bad theory mate. It does seems to be a bit too many Elachi ships in the last wave, and not enough allied NPC support.

The last wave really needs some looking at before LoR goes live. Many players will get stuck on this part. I get that it's the final mission, but that does not mean it should be ESTF like in difficulty rating.

I doubt the time of day has any bearing, but you never know when it comes to Cryptic.

If you are supposed to do this solo, as I said above, it needs some tuning. If it is meant to be done in a group, then it should use the same queue system as for the STF's...

Or it could simply be that this being Tribble, that something is messed up or it might even be Cryptic's intent to have it this hard to see how many can beat it as it sits right now. Hopefully they will see that many are stuck on the last wave, and do some tuning to make it more fair, but still a good challenge, without it being a meat grinder...

Last edited by otowi; 05-18-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Captain
# 60
05-18-2013, 08:07 AM
Rather than looking externally for an issue...

I've done it on multiple characters...multiple times.

You don't have to destroy any ship other than the Command Ship. You destroy that...the others fall apart and go away. The Command Ship is on the left side. Almost every time that wave has spawned, I've been on the right side. There's no point in fighting your way over to it. Cloak and come from that side.

Are folks spamming FAW/TS and other AoE attacks - grabbing all sorts of aggro and doing damage to ship they don't need to kill?

It's one ship. Come around to that side. Kite it off from the rest. Kill it.
Maal, Klingon, Mogh - Vegar, Orion, Marauder - R'ebel, Romulan, Haakona
Willard the Rat, Reman, F.T'varo - Rave, J.Trill, Kar'Fi - Mysk, Gorn, Varanus
Kopor, Nausicaan, Guramba - Nivuh, Ferasan, B'rel - Venit, Lethean, M.Qin