Survivor of Romulus
# 41
05-17-2013, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphastrike View Post
Question, will everyone have access to play the Romulan faction or will it be by paying for it from a starter pack or legacy pack?
The Romulan faction is free to play just as everything in the game.
The Legacy and starter packs are nice bundles of new Romulan ships, Reman species, Boffs and Doffs that we can get on preorder at a discounted price. You can play the Romulan faction for free, they have a line of free ships you obtain by leveling just like the KDF and the Federation.
Starfleet Veteran
# 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
Congratulations on bringing us deeper into the Klingon experience while playing KDF content.

In case you can't tell, that was sarcasm.

One of the two major issues that keeps me from enjoying KDF content is the fact that no matter what species you play or the concept you have for your KDF Captain is that the game is scripted to be Klingon specific.

So, if you're another species from far away, an Orion or whatever, you're still a Klingon and your crew is still Klingon (even when they are not).

And considering this first mission is just more of the Klingon mindset, all it achieves is to push me further away from the KDF, not bring me closer to it.
I have the same problem... and while people may point to the Fed content as being the same way, it's not nearly as bad as in the KDF content when you use Klingon euphemisms as anything but a Klingon.
Formerly known as Protector from June 2008 to June 20, 2012

If the KDF can get a Fleet D7 (That can be upgraded to a T5-U), the Feds should have a Fleet Exeter.
Captain
# 43
Quote:
That's why KDF gameplay is so one-dimensional to me, there's no real choice in your options, you're just saying the same thing 3 different ways.
Yes.

Playing as KDF means playing as a Klingon, regardless of what species you happen to be ... or traits, even Vulcans have unique choices when to use their grip.

Also playing as a Klingon means playing as a specific stereotype, meaning one that was dropped on his forehead a few hundred of times as a baby.

There is absolutely no point on playing anything but a Klingon on the KDF and even that have its downside.
Former Star Trek Online Player
Republic Veteran
# 44
05-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphastrike View Post
Question, will everyone have access to play the Romulan faction or will it be by paying for it from a starter pack or legacy pack?
Starter and legacy packs should be thought of as more of discounted c-store ship bundles. Not purchasing these dose not prevent you playing the romulan faction. They are just the c-store shinnies
Captain
# 45
05-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
So? All Fed content is species agnostic too - as is all Rom content.
The thing is, there's a lot of rich storytelling that could be explored in species specific KDF content - and they actually addressed some of it in the Bortasqu' Day of Honor thing. The Orion crewmember says something along the lines if: "Honor? Who cares, I'm not a Klingon." Why isn't there more of this, but for the player?
Career Officer
# 46
05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Welcome Matt Miller, I wish you success here in STO and look forward to seeing more of your work.

What will your forum yellow name be I wonder.

Maybe, Positron-ic Matrix.

Captain
# 47
05-17-2013, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Oddly, I don't have that experience while playing on the Starfleet side.

Diplomatic options can change the experience from I'm going to kill you now to Let's resolve this without violence.
And whether your Fed Captain is Human, Andorian, Ferengi, Vulcan, or Alien, you get the exact same Fed choices.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Career Officer
# 48
05-17-2013, 01:52 PM
That's the point, it is choice.

I get to choose.

Contrast that with KDF where I don't get to choose.

That is the comparison I am making, it's the difference between freedom to do what you want and just clicking NEXT on predetermined dialogue.

And yes, I remember that line about the Orion doctor not caring about honor, it made me smile!

Last edited by tilarta; 05-17-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Captain
# 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
The thing is, there's a lot of rich storytelling that could be explored in species specific KDF content - and they actually addressed some of it in the Bortasqu' Day of Honor thing. The Orion crewmember says something along the lines if: "Honor? Who cares, I'm not a Klingon." Why isn't there more of this, but for the player?
There's a lot of rich storytelling to be told. Period. You'd think a Vulcan doing the P'Jem mission would be different then a Caitian, right? But it's not.

Some of the new content is a little more situational, but for the most part it's always agnostic. It would just take too much time and effort to write the content for 2 dozen different species.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
And whether your Fed Captain is Human, Andorian, Ferengi, Vulcan, or Alien, you get the exact same Fed choices.
There is a very large difference of Federation missions and KDF missions.
Former Star Trek Online Player