Career Officer
# 51
05-17-2013, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
That's the point, it is choice.

I get to choose.

Contrast that with KDF where I don't get to choose.

That is the point I am making.

And yes, I remember that line about the Orion doctor not caring about honor, it made me smile!
It's definitely more noticable from a KDF perspective, but it's also true of the Starfleet captain.

You can help Section 31, or...help Section 31, and complain about it.

It's just not something that can be helped, without some pretty drastic overhauling of the structure of the game.
Career Officer
# 52
05-17-2013, 02:05 PM
I have played the content on Tribble.
It's excellent.
I will buy both of the new ships.

You have expanded the KDF experience.
To this I say

maj
Captain
# 53
05-17-2013, 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
There's a lot of rich storytelling to be told. Period. You'd think a Vulcan doing the P'Jem mission would be different then a Caitian, right? But it's not.

Some of the new content is a little more situational, but for the most part it's always agnostic. It would just take too much time and effort to write the content for 2 dozen different species.
Based on interviews of Kestrel, I don't think it would be too much time and effort for her at all - she seems to have lots of great ideas. The real issue is the other devs designing and coding those missions. And given that endgame content isn't even unique for factions, let alone species, I don't think Cryptic is going to put in that effort. :'(
Captain
# 54
05-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by felderburg View Post
Based on interviews of Kestrel, I don't think it would be too much time and effort for her at all - she seems to have lots of great ideas. The real issue is the other devs designing and coding those missions. And given that endgame content isn't even unique for factions, let alone species, I don't think Cryptic is going to put in that effort. :'(
I don't like to speculate on how much work something I've never done is. I have a feeling it's not as simple as one might like to believe - which would also mean coding every playable species into the game to be recognizable. Plus all the mission text changes would need to be vetted by CBS before they could be included.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Captain
# 55
05-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
I don't like to speculate on how much work something I've never done is. I have a feeling it's not as simple as one might like to believe - which would also mean coding every playable species into the game to be recognizable. Plus all the mission text changes would need to be vetted by CBS before they could be included.
I'm sure it's not as simple as we think, but it would be nice if, going forward, it was taken into account. If the effort was taken to specifically make a member of the KDF flagship note how his species wasn't all that into being the honor-bound glorious Klingon warriors that actual Klingons are, it makes me wonder why there isn't more of that. The Federation is more about being one big happy family (although the NPCs on Andoria do (did?) talk about Andorian culture and Ushaans) than the Klingons, so it makes more sense for the Klingons to have their own stories for individual species.

Additionally, given that Romulans and Remans have such completely different backstories before Hobus, it would make sense if their content has some differences or addressed issues of species too. Hopefully it does.
Survivor of Romulus
# 56
05-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilarta View Post
That's the point, it is choice.

I get to choose.

Contrast that with KDF where I don't get to choose.

That is the comparison I am making, it's the difference between freedom to do what you want and just clicking NEXT on predetermined dialogue.

And yes, I remember that line about the Orion doctor not caring about honor, it made me smile!
Although I agree that what we've seen during the Day of Honor is more immersive, but what are you talking about? What choice do we have as Feds? Do I get to choose if I want to slap Franklin Drake or listen to him? Do I get to choose between kiling Romulan doctors and aprehending Admiral Zelle in Divide et Impera?

I'm also going to leave this here:

My Starfleet Captain, a Vulcan science officer goes through the mission on P'Jem.

Undine Soketh: "Such emotion on your face! I can see now that my deception has been exposed."
Vulcan girl: *raises eyebrow* Emotion!?
Looking for a genuine Star Trek experience?
Join the Klingon Empire! It will be glorious!
Career Officer
# 57
05-17-2013, 03:17 PM
I haven't played missions in a long time.
So I can't list which ones have the options and which ones don't.
They're not very numerous though.

But every now and then, I'd run across one that said (Diplomatic) which would alter the outcome of a particular scenario.

But when I attempt to use Maruading to achieve the same thing, nothing changes.

That's why I feel so railroaded with the KDF, why bother giving an option that isn't an option?
Starfleet Veteran
# 58
05-17-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
an effort was made to make many parts of the game friendlier to cloaked ships! Yes, that?s right; we can now take steps to ensure that your First Officer doesn?t pull your ship out of cloak just to tell you that nothing can be found on the scanners. It?s a slow and involved process to make all the Klingon missions ?cloak friendly,? so give us some time. It?s one aspect of the game we will continue to improve upon in the future.
Best news I've heard in a long time!
Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
The Armada
www.thebikinibottomarmada.com
Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
Empire Veteran
# 59
05-17-2013, 03:39 PM
Great work on the KDF content, played some of it and when I first played the Romulan stuff I thought it couldn't get better until I played the KDF new missions. You have outdone yourself and I hope we continue each season to see new KDF content especially missions and costumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
Although I agree that what we've seen during the Day of Honor is more immersive, but what are you talking about? What choice do we have as Feds? Do I get to choose if I want to slap Franklin Drake or listen to him? Do I get to choose between kiling Romulan doctors and aprehending Admiral Zelle in Divide et Impera?

I'm also going to leave this here:

My Starfleet Captain, a Vulcan science officer goes through the mission on P'Jem.

Undine Soketh: "Such emotion on your face! I can see now that my deception has been exposed."
Vulcan girl: *raises eyebrow* Emotion!?
Tell me about it, the Federation is so out of character, so gun-ho that it has turned a lot of my friends away as it often feels nothing like the Federation. They are after all going by the Path to 2409, controlled by the Undine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
Cryptic is sloppy. Breaking News at 11. This is what happens when there is no outline or plan and you just make up **** as you go along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder75 View Post
We can tell our great grandchildren, "In my day, our cloaks were so sensitive that even dialogue broke them and we couldn't change our clothes!"
Captain
# 60
05-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmsfc View Post
Tell me about it, the Federation is so out of character, so gun-ho that it has turned a lot of my friends away as it often feels nothing like the Federation. They are after all going by the Path to 2409, controlled by the Undine.
That mission is hilarious on how its the worst spy ever, he completely acts unlike a Vulcan but there are no options to call on that, a later mission is more of a shock because even if you suspect what is going on you already got yourself into it too far to back out but ...

They still heads above how KDF simply ignores the fact not everyone is a Klingon, Federation works on the fact everyone been a member for a long time, at no point you are asked to act like a Vulcan or a Human and yes, I would like Telepathy options being worked as options since it just ignores about everything, only Vulcan Nerve Pinch have the occasional options here and there.

KDF is you are Klingon, end of story ... works if you are playing a Klingon, doesnt work if you are playing a Orion or a Nausicaan that dont care about the Klingon afterlife or Klingon "honor".

Asking for recognition of what we are playing as is a reasonable request, if Cryptic have no intention of making the KDF anything but Klingon they should have left out every race that is not Klingon.

Of course I hardly expect then to go around fixing that mess ... and so the 18% continues to be 18%, not because they lack things to do but because the KDF experience is simply worst that the Federation due to how the missions treat players, I rather roll a Vulcan that a Orion.
Former Star Trek Online Player