Lieutenant
# 61
07-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhawkman View Post
Um... what are you talking about?
i talk about that cryptic always cares about unimportant things...and don't cares about important issues.

Quote:
Truthfully... we don't know the specific reason why they felt the need to remove the costume importer. thus we can't even make a reliable guess as to how long it will take to fix the issue.
i don't think like you. it's like i've said before, what that tool has to do is very simple. read variables from a file and copy them into a costume at the foundry. if you want to see it, open a costume file with a hex editor, then you will see these variables. it's really no big thing to program something to read a variable at a specific adress of a file...i've done something like that just two or three months after i learned programming the first time
and i have to say it took only a few hours to programm that for a few variables...maybe it take a bit longer when more variables are needed, but it's truly no thing that needs much time to realize.

so my guess is more that cryptic don't want us to use this tool than they want fix bugs.

A foundry by commandermic

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1040761

Last edited by commandermic; 07-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.
Rihannsu
# 62
07-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Actually, you're missing a few things...

#1 is that it's two different software tools that read the files. The regular character creator, and the Foundry char creator. Those two functions have different sets of values that they can store.

#2 is that the import/export tool could be used to create unholy hybrids of races that were never meant to exist. And this was without hex editing. One example was a ground char that's part Orion part Caitian.

#3 is one I did prsonally several times, this was costuming a ground or space char as the other.

#4 is that the import tool culd be used to import almost any costume in the game. Even ones not normally available in Foundry. This is something I've done personally many times. For example: Save a costume of a Breen Chel Grett (a ship one of my characters owned), then import the costume into Foundry so that I can throw a Chel Grett skin on a random char. It worked great.

But again, we don't know the exact issue. Sure creating an importer to read a list of variables is easy. But, the hard part is getting the varibles inputted to where they're supposed to go. That was already problematic in ways the devs hadn't anticipated.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.
Lieutenant
# 63
07-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Quote:
Actually, you're missing a few things...

#1 is that it's two different software tools that read the files. The regular character creator, and the Foundry char creator. Those two functions have different sets of values that they can store.
as far as i see, there are the same values ingame and at the foundry. ok, the foundry has some that aren't in the game, but that does not mean it's a problem to import these values which are the same.

Quote:
#2 is that the import/export tool could be used to create unholy hybrids of races that were never meant to exist. And this was without hex editing. One example was a ground char that's part Orion part Caitian.
i never said something about hex editing, it was just an example to explain where the values came from. i've tried out hex editing (wanted change the name on a ship hull and the registry number) but this caused that the costume can't be imported anymore.
and i heard about that what you call "unholy hybrids" - but if they never meant to exist, it's just a bug, so it's a thing that should not work, so it doesn't matter. if the import would work like i said, this issue won't exist.

Quote:
#3 is one I did prsonally several times, this was costuming a ground or space char as the other.
i've tried that a few times, but i've seen it's quite useless. every time i've done this, the foundry has crashed. this maybe is one little thing that really needs a little more than reading variables, but not much, just a little exception handling to prevent doing this.

Quote:
#4 is that the import tool culd be used to import almost any costume in the game. Even ones not normally available in Foundry. This is something I've done personally many times. For example: Save a costume of a Breen Chel Grett (a ship one of my characters owned), then import the costume into Foundry so that I can throw a Chel Grett skin on a random char. It worked great.
interesting, i've tried that a few times, but every time i wanted to import a costume that wasn't available at the foundry, it was recostumed to one that was available there. are you sure the chel grett is not at the foundry? maybe it is there, but does not show at the list at the costumes tab - i have figured out there are some differences between this and the button you can use at an npc that is placed on the map.

Quote:
But again, we don't know the exact issue. Sure creating an importer to read a list of variables is easy. But, the hard part is getting the varibles inputted to where they're supposed to go. That was already problematic in ways the devs hadn't anticipated.
i don't know why there should be a problem to get these variables inputted there...write a variable is as simple as reading it. even if the values are different, i see no problem to implement a little conversion calculation.

A foundry by commandermic

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh....php?t=1040761
Lieutenant
This link was added to the forum thread I started about this same content.

This tool was and is invaluable tool in the foundry.

Being new to create missions in the foundry having only published 2 of my own one as a recruiting tool for my fleet and the other to for another fleet found the experience a good one and quite addictive. After the launch of LoR the foundry has not been the same seeing I have not been able to even log on to create anything for about a week due to crashing every time I log on. I feel confident that I can speak for my Fleet of 248 members that we want this back as an option and would go as far as stating here that we would like the foundry to go back to pre LoR status. I will try to bring other fleets to this cause as well.

The 77th Fighter Squadron is behind your efforts on this and we will try to bring other fleets in to this to support you.

Check out "Welcome to the 77th" in the foundry!!!!
Lieutenant
# 65
07-05-2013, 10:17 AM
commandermic, thank you for the link to the original topic this issue has to support of my Fleet of 246 members and we will try our best to spread the word thanks again.

Check out "Welcome to the 77th" in the foundry!!!!
Career Officer
# 66
07-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Captain
# 67
07-12-2013, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonianbadboy View Post
This link was added to the forum thread I started about this same content.

This tool was and is invaluable tool in the foundry.

Being new to create missions in the foundry having only published 2 of my own one as a recruiting tool for my fleet and the other to for another fleet found the experience a good one and quite addictive. After the launch of LoR the foundry has not been the same seeing I have not been able to even log on to create anything for about a week due to crashing every time I log on. I feel confident that I can speak for my Fleet of 248 members that we want this back as an option and would go as far as stating here that we would like the foundry to go back to pre LoR status. I will try to bring other fleets to this cause as well.

The 77th Fighter Squadron is behind your efforts on this and we will try to bring other fleets in to this to support you.
There is obviously a lot of people concerned about this issue. I havent been playing the game much this summer but I understand the whole foundry interface has been sluggish so not having import just adds to the length of time needed to author a mission.
Play more STO Foundry! (You can thank me later.)

A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM in the SIRIUS SECTOR
Starfleet Veteran
# 68
07-14-2013, 09:57 AM
Im for preserving options if its still possible to pull it off, IDK im not in the control room, im still trying to figure out how my one foundry mission "space hulk" still keeps coming under my old cryptic name instead of my PWE one...I used to be @helkotar
CatStar VS Darth Revan *(Spoilers)*
Every episode of TNG if written by STO_How Picard dealt with ARC_Cat hug_No to ARC!
Lt. Commander
# 69
07-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thay8472 View Post
aww but I like mix and matching things.

If we cant mix and match outfits.... can we atleast have more costumes to choose from.
Im not a costume dude, but when /costumecreator.setslottype xxx was working i spend hours in the tailor.
Now im done in 2 minutes.
Keybind: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...&postcount=463
Bone1970 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
Bone Trader don't belief in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. Fed Tac.
Bone2 don't believe in a no-win senario, Kirk's protege. KDF Eng.
Warning: Not a native English-speaker, sorry if my English sucks.
Captain
# 70
07-15-2013, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolninspace View Post
I just heard the bad news that costume import has been removed on Tribble. This is not the only thing that crashes the Foundry, publishing missions crashes the foundry. Saving missions crashes the foundry! I love creating custom characters and losing this feature is a real blow to me.

What we are losing:

- sharing costumes from your toons or from other players

- the ability to import cryptic made npc's such as enemy groups and use them as a contact.

- "Breaking" the tailor opening up hidden costume options, make caitians, ferresans gorn and naussicans in fed uniforms, Ensign Helna in a bikini etc etc etc. You lose soo much without this!

I cant stress enough that I think this feature is one of the coolest things in the game.

Please add your name to this thread to ask for the return of costume import.

I agree that the feature should have been kept in the foundry. It saved alot of time. I'm on a new Project now, for the KDF side, and I've spent forever just on costumes alone.