Captain
# 1 new star trek movies opinion
05-19-2013, 03:30 AM
I was going to type this out for a reply on a topic here, yet realized that it should have it's own thread here as I would like to get people's opinions.

Basically, what are your opinions on the new films? Mine is as follows:

I will never like the new star trek movies.

Because I think it's disrespectful to the memory of Gene Roddenberry. He created the original series, the way it WAS and IS for many reasons.

To now have this newer version... just shows me that no one seems to have the ability to create/ write another Star trek series tv show such as was written for :

-The Next Generation

- Voyager , etc.

Those were awsome, because they had new characters and new storylines and the Timeline continued normal. Such as the fact they existed AFTER the original series, In order to keep Gene Roddenberry's Masterpiece Alive, remembered and Honored .

Many will no doubt disagree with me, yet I'm sure many will also agree.

It's ok to create new series , but do NOT touch great works such as that which was created by the dear Gene Roddenberry, may he rest in peace.
Commander
# 2
05-19-2013, 03:33 AM
my opinion is this belongs in ten forward.
Career Officer
# 3
05-19-2013, 03:34 AM
this belongs in ten forward.

respect or no, the series changed hands a few times and it landed in the hands of some exec in cbs very recently when berman gave it up. this means that cbs can do whatever the hell they like for the trek series even if it is the opposite of what roddenberry had intended.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Captain
# 4
05-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by threat21 View Post
my opinion is this belongs in ten forward.
sorry i didnt' know. but , thanks for being a nerd about it.
Captain
# 5
05-19-2013, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorchaos View Post
this belongs in ten forward.

respect or no, the series changed hands a few times and it landed in the hands of some exec in cbs very recently when berman gave it up. this means that cbs can do whatever the hell they like for the trek series even if it is the opposite of what roddenberry had intended.
that's very sad. (
Rihannsu
# 6
05-19-2013, 03:38 AM
People rewrite classic fiction all the time. Pride and Prejudice and Zombies was a national bestseller. The Lion King is just Hamlet in the savanna. Oh Brother Where Art Thou is a retelling of The Odyssey set in the Depression-Era American South. There are literally millions of instances of this.

Rewriting stories and changing elements like settings and characters allows people to recontextualize them and bring out new elements of the original. Very likely, decades from now, someone will restart Star Trek again in order to bring it forward into that age.

It's as valid a continuation of the original work as The Next Generation was.
Rihannsu
# 7
05-19-2013, 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amahood View Post
Because I think it's disrespectful to the memory of Gene Roddenberry.
Considering that Gene himself actually said he wanted someone to remake trek after he died, no it's not.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 8
05-19-2013, 03:42 AM
cbs is not likely to give it up until they milked everything they can get from it.
Joined STO late 2010. Bought starter pack LoR & LTS 2013.
Proud owner of a Targ pup to a federation character.
T5 Miranda FTW! Hope to see Miranda Class made a T5 ship.
Career Officer
# 9
05-19-2013, 03:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Considering that Gene himself actually said he wanted someone to remake trek after he died, no it's not.
I will agree to that to a point we don't know really if he would like this or not so we cant speak for him at all.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
Career Officer
# 10
05-19-2013, 03:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrevo1 View Post
Considering that his ashes would be rotating at warp speed if he'd knew what is called "Star Trek" today, yes it is.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.