Starfleet Veteran
Just to put this into perspective.

TWOK: A massive burn mark down the side of the ship

Legacy : You can get un-removable battle damage (until spacedock) as well , similar to TWOK, and hull ruptures!!! .

STO: "Scotty! Please paint the ship while we get blown to bits, I hate that burn mark"

In other words, no lasting damage, It is like I come out of battle un-scathed . Can we please have lasting visual damage?

I am sure others will agree that would be a nice addition to this superb game.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...

Last edited by jumpingjs; 05-18-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: A word was spelt wrong.
Survivor of Romulus
# 2
05-18-2013, 11:38 PM
I definently want this.....would be so cool to have a choice of going to a starbase or station to get it fully repaired visually....or to keep it and wear it like battle scars XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by borticuscryptic View Post
I find this line of replies sadly hilarious. We put a lot of work into the massive list of fixes/changes above, and ya'll are hung up on the ability to skip our content. =p
Career Officer
# 3
05-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Ive always wanted to see more elaborate damage in game. Love to see little tiny humans/aliens drifting in space after a big hit to the hull showing the interior of a ship or, venting out oxygen or some sort of material into space, seeing engines fly off, big holes in saucer sections ect.. list can go on.. hopefully theyll touch up battle damage one day.. would be nice. OHH and bigger explosions
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx
Career Officer
# 4
05-19-2013, 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlocutusofborgx View Post
Ive always wanted to see more elaborate damage in game. Love to see little tiny humans/aliens drifting in space after a big hit to the hull showing the interior of a ship or, venting out oxygen or some sort of material into space, seeing engines fly off, big holes in saucer sections ect.. list can go on.. hopefully theyll touch up battle damage one day.. would be nice. OHH and bigger explosions
i'd be fine with more variety in explosions. the explosions always look the same (and after 3 years looking at them, they look rather boring and ugly [when romulans go boom it looks real awesome, just because it is a new effect for once]).

personally i'd rather see this game go more into a simulation direaction than keep pushing more into the hotkey mmo direction with more and more behind the screen MATH to buff invisible stats.

oh and get rid of those stupid glows and rings and neon sign icons above my STARSHIP... that stuff kills any cinematic value of this game as soon as the shooting starts it turns into Hello Kitty.

Last edited by zerobang; 05-19-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Career Officer
# 5
05-19-2013, 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
In other words, no lasting damage, It is like I come out of battle un-scathed .
But, but, but that's how Voyager handled it. It's canon.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Rihannsu
# 6
05-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Would be rather easy to put in a option in the menu for lasting battle dmg. A simple on or off on visual dmg repair. Can be repaired at space docks/shipyards, similar to playing on elite mode and getting injury. Something that is totally up to you.

As i played legacy a lot it was always cool to see a necell get blown off your ship, but in STO its not that easy to do. So id leave battle dmg on off option with current dmg models. That being said i think they should update the damage textures to look more like legacy where a torpedo hit blows a chuck of the outter hull off and you see a forcefield texture holding the ship together.

People tend to go "meh thats not a big deal" same thing with the non LCAR UI. Second the new UI hit tribble people creamed their pants by how much more Startrek this game felt with just a UI update.

Add in legacy type dmg textures of scorch/burn marks + hull breachs and venting o2, with an option to disable/stun instead of kill. Change "Hull" to structural integrity field or SIF for short, would be a lot less messy explaination wise. And instead of us blowing up asap when we die, add in a "repair" timer so a teammate can come over and "rez" our ship if they make it before life support fails/warp core breachs. Make it where instead of getting injury upon "death" its upon respawning so that rezing your team mate saves them injuries and gives people more reason to respond quickly.

Do all that and this game will feel massively more startrek. Do to the modeling system i dont think they can do massive damage to our ships like big gaps in the saucer or missing pylons etc but the scorch and blast can be done and they already changed plasma dot to look like a plasma leak in the hull, same thing just for O2 make it white, or black for a trail of smoke from fire inside the ship. Could put in large hull fractures similar to what we have now but more detailed.

Part of what made legacy/bridge commander so awesome to play was those lil details. Id love to see real subsystem dmg but thats another topic all together.
Career Officer
# 7
05-19-2013, 01:42 AM
BC did better then any star trek game ive seen with mods I mean you could do some almost tv show looking stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJKxb4NtGbE
swimwear off risa not fixed
system Lord Baal is dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by macronius View Post
This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.

Last edited by daan2006; 05-19-2013 at 01:55 AM.
Career Officer
# 8
05-19-2013, 01:54 AM
imho the best approach would be to add visual damage to injuries,
those can already be healed OR you need to go back to a Starbase if you are out of regenerators etc.

and then maybe you should be able to receive injuries not only on death, but every time your ship hull falls below 25% 50% 75% give it a low chance to receive an injury.

but first the UI should be updated so it doesnt require 3 windows to be opened first before you can heal up.

healing injuries while inside a map could be optional, depending on map / difficulty setting.

lets say on Elite you can't heal at all. in PvP it's optional and on advanced you can heal them, while on normal it doesn't happen at all.

also healing abilities could have a tiny chance of repairing injuries, depending on ability that could be limited to minor / major / critical.

for example only Mirracle Worker could have a chance to heal critical injuries while an Engineering Team 1 - 3 could heal minor and majors with different rates of success.

keep in mind, you would collect a lot more injuries with my proposed system, so healing them up with skills instead of just with items would be there to balance this out instead of removing the need for the healing items.

also i would add a duration timer to injuries, lets say a minor injury lasts 5 minutes, a major 30 minutes and a critical 5 hours.

(all values can be tweaked as required by the Devs and are just examples of course)
Ensign
# 9
05-19-2013, 01:55 AM
I like this idea - a simple solution which the devs could implement in 10 mins would be to simply slow the fading of the damage textures by 100x. So even though you're 100%, the scorch marks are there for the remainder of the mission.

I'd like to see more variety in ship damage/death/explosions. Escape pods, crashing into asteroid, attempted ramming, de-orbit, etc.
Career Officer
# 10
05-19-2013, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
BC did better then any star trek game ive seen with mods I mean you could do some almost tv show looking stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJKxb4NtGbE
I think Klingon academy was better at battle damage........ but I don't think STO will allow us to blow someones nacelles off and punch holes through their ships So I will settle for some scorch marks.