Captain
# 21
05-19-2013, 10:36 PM
lol, ships in STFs are going look horribly banged up with this, we'll have zombie ships flying around.
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
05-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenicius View Post
lol, ships in STFs are going look horribly banged up with this, we'll have zombie ships flying around.
That would be half the fun ...
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Career Officer
# 23
05-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlocutusofborgx View Post
Ive always wanted to see more elaborate damage in game. Love to see little tiny humans/aliens drifting in space after a big hit to the hull showing the interior of a ship or, venting out oxygen or some sort of material into space, seeing engines fly off, big holes in saucer sections ect.. list can go on.. hopefully theyll touch up battle damage one day.. would be nice. OHH and bigger explosions
I'd like some fourth of July sparkler effects for damage.

http://youtu.be/-cC7QmQ4Nzo

It makes no sense for space to have sparks that big that seem to respond to gravity and yet it's almost what I expect from Star Trek explosions.
Survivor of Romulus
# 24
05-20-2013, 01:36 AM
I'd love lasting damage being visually displayed on a ship and repairs being done at a starbase. Something about it just sounds like a cool idea.
Career Officer
# 25
05-20-2013, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ussdelphin2 View Post
I think Klingon academy was better at battle damage........ but I don't think STO will allow us to blow someones nacelles off and punch holes through their ships So I will settle for some scorch marks.
Yes, Klingon Academy did that very well.
But I know HOW they did it: they literally modeled the damage into the 3d model.

http://imageshack.us/a/img545/4325/k...roriginalt.png

this is a picture of the wireframe from Klingon Academy's Emperor class.
You can unpack the KA.dat (where the models, sounds etc. are located) using Interplay's own released software that 's used to unpack and mod Fallout 2.
Anyway look at the inner nacelles and you'll see they are not symmetrical.
It's the battledamage sculpted into the model.
So for STO, unless they use a totally different technique today, they'd probably have to completely redo the ships to get this effect.
Lieutenant
# 26
05-20-2013, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
But, but, but that's how Voyager handled it. It's canon.
Whenever someone says something alone the lines of "They did it in Voyager!" they should lose any and all credibility, even if they are joking.
Commander
# 27
05-21-2013, 05:31 AM
a good approach would be to disable healing while in sector space.
What ? Calaway.
Captain
# 28
05-21-2013, 05:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
a good approach would be to disable healing while in sector space.
It already is. Only passive regen occurs while outside of a mission map.
Career Officer
# 29
05-21-2013, 05:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysmachine View Post
if they went this direction then you would have severe if not crippling effects to your ship until you could make it back to earth space dock for repairs.
ESD or Q'onos wouldn't have to be the only repair facilities in the game. You could repair at K-7, Gonalda, Starbase 39, DS9 etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecosmic1 View Post
Anyone calling Valoreah a "Cryptic fanboy" must be new to the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarskx View Post
The cost of actually commissioning an artisan to make a real physical model of my starship using 1 pound of 14k gold will probably cost less than creating a "gold ship" in STO.
Survivor of Romulus
# 30
05-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerobang View Post
[when romulans go boom it looks real awesome, just because it is a new effect for once]
Yes, the singularity implosion is awesome. I'd definitely go for more variety in ship explosions.

Regarding lasting battle damage visuals, that just seems like more lag waiting to happen.
I was someone else here til the forum/account transition lied
and told me that my original name was taken.