Lieutenant
# 31
05-21-2013, 12:15 PM
YES. Agreed
'A few deaths are a tragedy. A few million is a statistic.'
Ensign
# 32
05-21-2013, 12:49 PM
This would be soooo nice... However, speaking as one of the former mods at KlingonAcademy.com (aka Kt'Hyla), I can definitely say that this would be a massive undertaking for Cryptic if they were to convert all of the ingame ships to include full damage models.

Designing and building the main model itself was one thing, however the damage model for a given ship was actually far more complex than the "fixed" model. KA's "Ginsu" system (as the damage engine was called) required the main model to be heavily modified to be damaged over the vast majority of it's surface, of which not only included applying custom transparancy textures to the surfaces to simulate hull breaches, but also the interior deck surfaces had to be built, point lighting for fires applied and positioned, and particle generation points added for debris/sparks/etc.

Under the hood, Cliff's Notes version: The ship model's surface was typically divided into more than a dozen seperate physical surfaces, sometimes up to 40-50 of them, and each surface recorded with it's own hit points, damage conditions, repair rate values, and subsystem tie-ins to simulate escalating damage to the ship and it's systems. While the final effect of a fully-decimated ship was a sight to behold, the game's Ginsu system routinely trippled to quadrupled the work involved in building a new ship. And this was on a decade-and-a-quarter old game, of which didn't have the added work of applying shaders, decals, UV mapping, etc. that STO ships would require.

Personally, I think it'd be great. But it'd be far too much work to expect from the game's developers at this point.
Starfleet Veteran
# 33
06-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmaddmatt View Post
This would be soooo nice... However, speaking as one of the former mods at KlingonAcademy.com (aka Kt'Hyla), I can definitely say that this would be a massive undertaking for Cryptic if they were to convert all of the ingame ships to include full damage models.

Designing and building the main model itself was one thing, however the damage model for a given ship was actually far more complex than the "fixed" model. KA's "Ginsu" system (as the damage engine was called) required the main model to be heavily modified to be damaged over the vast majority of it's surface, of which not only included applying custom transparancy textures to the surfaces to simulate hull breaches, but also the interior deck surfaces had to be built, point lighting for fires applied and positioned, and particle generation points added for debris/sparks/etc.

Under the hood, Cliff's Notes version: The ship model's surface was typically divided into more than a dozen seperate physical surfaces, sometimes up to 40-50 of them, and each surface recorded with it's own hit points, damage conditions, repair rate values, and subsystem tie-ins to simulate escalating damage to the ship and it's systems. While the final effect of a fully-decimated ship was a sight to behold, the game's Ginsu system routinely trippled to quadrupled the work involved in building a new ship. And this was on a decade-and-a-quarter old game, of which didn't have the added work of applying shaders, decals, UV mapping, etc. that STO ships would require.

Personally, I think it'd be great. But it'd be far too much work to expect from the game's developers at this point.
Would it be worth it though?

I certainly think so.

And stun [ground] and disable [space] beam settings for STO. That is MORE TREK like!
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
Captain
# 34
06-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Not sure if it would be canon. In every voyager episode, the ship is totally repaired, with a fresh coat of paint, no matter what happened before (except for some 2parts episodes). Even after 7 years lost in the delta quadrant, taking beatings from Khazon to Borg, and a very limited access to shipyards.

I am joking. Not that I really care with battle damage, honestly, but it would be possible. The ship already show damage when your hull is low.
Commander
# 35
06-10-2013, 12:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjs View Post
Just to put this into perspective.

TWOK: A massive burn mark down the side of the ship

Legacy : You can get un-removable battle damage (until spacedock) as well , similar to TWOK, and hull ruptures!!! .

STO: "Scotty! Please paint the ship while we get blown to bits, I hate that burn mark"

In other words, no lasting damage, It is like I come out of battle un-scathed . Can we please have lasting visual damage?

I am sure others will agree that would be a nice addition to this superb game.
I love you man lol , I would love this.
I have from time to time thought that id much preffer major damages have to get fixed at starbases rather then be able to sort out in space, and this is kinda along the same lines.

I so hope they add this to the game.
Starfleet Veteran
# 36
06-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erei1 View Post
Not sure if it would be canon. In every voyager episode, the ship is totally repaired, with a fresh coat of paint, no matter what happened before (except for some 2parts episodes). Even after 7 years lost in the delta quadrant, taking beatings from Khazon to Borg, and a very limited access to shipyards. But it was not that simple: "Hey Belena , mind saying "hocus pocus" and spraying us with a new paintjob?" It would have taken a while, So what I am asking for is to extend the time you see it.
I am joking. Not that I really care with battle damage, honestly, but it would be possible. The ship already show damage when your hull is low. but not long enough imho
See above I do not think it could be that difficult either, from what I am hearing.
Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

Commander
# 37
06-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
But, but, but that's how Voyager handled it. It's canon.
Whenever someone says something alone the lines of "They did it in Voyager!" they should lose any and all credibility, even if they are joking.
What am I missing here, do people not like Voyager? It was my favorite one of the Star Trek shows.

::WARNING:: This game is not intended for use as a source of self-esteem.
Starfleet Veteran
# 38
06-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1derfull1 View Post
What am I missing here, do people not like Voyager? It was my favorite one of the Star Trek shows.
Agreed, Voyager is my favourite too!

Empire Veteran
# 39
06-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by valoreah View Post
ESD or Q'onos wouldn't have to be the only repair facilities in the game. You could repair at K-7, Gonalda, Starbase 39, DS9 etc.
You already can anyway.

And a lot of people don't like Voyager as it was half arsed, the ship never really faced any real hardship, they gave up on them running short of stuff after season 1 and never touched on some interesting things they could of done like running out of Torpedos , parts to repair the ship with (which even ENT did) ect.
That and they turned the borg from the badass of enemies to trivial. Remember when Voyager took on a tactical cube and didn't get blow to little bits.. yeah

That is not even touching on how Captain Janeway was so badly written its almost like she is acting evil in the first place. Even Kate Mulgrew thought Janeway was bipolar. There is other stuff to like the recurring plots going nowhere like the Maquis integrating into the ships crew and Starfleet , it was hardly touched on.
toDuj 'oS rol.

Last edited by zipagat; 06-12-2013 at 10:25 AM.
Career Officer
# 40
06-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1derfull1 View Post
Ever watched the episode where Paris and Janeway become salamanders and make babies?

While Voyager had some good stuff in it there was a lot of sillyness in there too.
Not to mention the authors first invent obstacles only to handwave them away again in ways that don't require real intelligence which can be rather insulting to the audience at times.
That's why it's a bit hard for people to take that show seriously.