Captain
# 11
05-19-2013, 04:50 AM
i respect that this is your opinion, dear OP. However it does not necessarely reflect that of mr. roddenberry, or are you some sort or medium?

As i understand it, TOS was not as roddenberry envisioned it, since he had to answer to the studio and the people who financed it...so at best TOS is a compromise of his idea of Star Trek.
Please stop idealizing that man, and stop thinking that your opinions are those of mr. roddenberry. For all we know he may have loved JJ's version.
Go pro or go home
Rihannsu
# 12
05-19-2013, 04:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daan2006 View Post
I will agree to that to a point we don't know really if he would like this or not so we cant speak for him at all.....
Sure its still personal opinion. he might like it, he might hate it, but he wanted someone to try.

considering the man was all about making money as much as anyone, i suspect if he got his cut of the profits, he would love it.

House of Cards - Lvl 46 Fed mission
Career Officer
# 13
05-19-2013, 04:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baudl View Post
As i understand it, TOS was not as roddenberry envisioned it, since he had to answer to the studio and the people who financed it...so at best TOS is a compromise of his idea of Star Trek.
Please stop idealizing that man, and stop thinking that your opinions are those of mr. roddenberry. For all we know he may have loved JJ's version.
If you want to know how Gene Roddenberry wanted Star Trek to be originally, look at the original pilot that was canned for being "too cerebral". That was what Roddenberrys vision originally looked like. And it's far cry from Abrams' Star Wars clone popcorn cinema.
FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Rihannsu
# 14
05-19-2013, 04:56 AM
Quote:
i respect that this is your opinion, dear OP. However it does not necessarely reflect that of mr. roddenberry, or are you some sort or medium?
Roddenberry wouldn't have liked it, because there were no dolphins serving on the Enterprise, people got in arguments over the things people get in arguments over, and it wasn't about flying to other worlds to tell them how superior our culture is to their's.

He had great ideas too, believe me, I know, but he was not the sole person who ever worked on Star Trek, and propping him up as such ignores the contributions of hundreds of men and women who've left their marks on the series.
Captain
# 15
05-19-2013, 04:58 AM
Quote:

People keep forgetting that while Gene Rodenberry was tremendously progressive for the time and created the franchise we love... he also had some pretty strange ideas about how to televise drama.

Some of the best episodes of TNG and pretty much all of DS9 went "against" some of the core ideas he touted for the Star Trek universe. He couldn't understand that Human conflict was the cornerstone of drama, and you can see the quality of TNG improve dramatically when he stopped being involved.

Also, I love how Star Trek XI and XII get hated on by some hardcore Trek fans for basically doing what First Contact and Nemesis did. If you want to sit there and claim First Contact is Trek but Into Darkness isn't... well, that's your problem. The rest of us get to have fun with some pretty enjoyable movies.
Rihannsu
# 16
05-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walshicus View Post
Some of the best episodes of TNG and pretty much all of DS9 went "against" some of the core ideas he touted for the Star Trek universe.
I would argue that DS9 actually presents Roddenberry's ideals better than he did, by showing humanity, with all it's flaws, can still improve and struggle and have their better nature win out more often than not.
Captain
# 17
05-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaanithegreen View Post
I would argue that DS9 actually presents Roddenberry's ideals better than he did, by showing humanity, with all it's flaws, can still improve and struggle and have their better nature win out more often than not.
And I'd agree. Given his redline about how Humanity in TNG *had* to show moral perfection at all times, I doubt he'd agree though.
Career Officer
# 18
05-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Nah, the whole emissary story arc was against everything Roddenberry wanted. Kirk would have told the prophets to close their ******n wormhole and stop pretending to be gods on Bajor. And the war? Yeah, nice the Federation won by using illegal weapons of mass destruction. Weeeeee, that's what Roddenberry was all about as we know.
Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
Rihannsu
# 19
05-19-2013, 05:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by assimilatedktar View Post
Nah, the whole emissary story arc was against everything Roddenberry wanted. Kirk would have told the prophets to close their ******n wormhole and stop pretending to be gods on Bajor. And the war? Yeah, nice the Federation won by using illegal weapons of mass destruction. Weeeeee, that's what Roddenberry was all about as we know.
People still argue about DS9 like this, fifteen or so years later? You'd think people would have actually seen the show by now.
Career Officer
# 20
05-19-2013, 05:12 AM
Quote:
People still argue about DS9 like this, fifteen or so years later? You'd think people would have actually seen the show by now.
Oh, I did. So instead of just making baseless claims you could try to tell me where I went wrong. Which will be hard....