Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 500
# 21
05-19-2013, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestersage View Post
Within the last month, I found myself playing a lot more on KDF over my Fed (which essentially become my alt) - and I am wondering why that's the case.

What I like about Fed:
-customization options on characters and ships
-More selection of ships should I choose to buy
-familiar ships


What I like about KDF:
-Better carrier play - I always been playing Pet Master / mobile nukes, be it STO, CO, or any other games that give me options for usign pets. Also allow me to have carrier for free.
-Better DoFF assignments, especially Marauding
-Better fleet - the Fed Fleet I joined seems to grow stale even though it suppose to be a division of a bigger fleet, not to mention not letting me use the fleet bank. The KDF fleet I join is growing, even if slowly, and let me use fleet banks.


So what I want to know is: am I abnormal, or is KDF actually better than Fed? I am trying to find a reason to make a Fed-Rom, but it seems KDF-Rom will be better...
Rest assured there are quite a number of KDF that loathe the Federation here.

A lot are from the hipster school of "well the Federation did X bad thing once, so anything goes" or are simply allergic to an organization with good intentions. It's a popular thing these days, as many of these replies will predictably show you.

It's horrible to them to imagine any organization with even the intention of anything other than "me me me" so they smear it in the mud any chance they get with a lot of theorycrafting and blowing exceptions in the show to the Federation's mostly-sterling record way out of proportion.

I also partially blame Ayn Rand and her goofy books.

Me? I play my KDF because only they have Gorn, Gorn are cool, and I think birds-of-prey are cool and fun to fly. The KDF as an organization and as an empire nosedived after Martok was killed, though.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,426
# 22
05-19-2013, 03:50 PM
OP you're not crazy. KDF rules!
Just take a look at that new B'rotlh BoP.

'nuff said.
Because true Starfleet Captains command Exploration Cruisers!
Thank you Cryptic for finally giving me MY SHIP!!!
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 8,693
# 23
05-19-2013, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpoks View Post
OP you're not crazy. KDF rules!
Just take a look at that new B'rotlh BoP.

'nuff said.
Dear OP, shpoks is wrong. You are quite crazy. After Tuesday you will be quite sane, though.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Starfleet Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,698
# 24
05-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake477 View Post
I used to be a Federation guy but the only reason I hated the KDF is because of the UI difference i was so used to seeing blue instead of red but with the color options i can now have my blue UI with my Klingon and Romulan characters.

I love the KDF and Romulans, they are more realistic than the Federation. In reality do you really think humanity is going to extend an olive branch every stinking time to a unknown agent? How many times did it bite them in the rear end? Look at all the wars they have gotten themselves into because they neither have the political will or leadership to do end a conflict definitively.

KDF's forces attitude is the right one, shoot first and ask questions later because its better to be wrong and alive then dead and wrong.

The Romulans don't trust anyone and that as Martian Manhunter would say is a "wise policy" The Federation is too trusting of people and it gets them into unnecessary fights.

KDF Romulans tell it like it is and doesn't sugar coat it with political correctness and diplomatic fluff.

Thats why the KDF and Romulans are better than the Federation, in reality the KDF and Romulans would STOMP the Federation if they were not portrayed the villains all the time.


KDF and Romulans rock

Qapla!

What are you talking about? The Federation has never started a war (well, the occasional nutty admiral has tried, but who's counting?), but if someone mistook their benevolent nature as a weakness they have always finished it no matter the cost one way or the other.
Captain
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,832
# 25
05-19-2013, 04:02 PM
This is basically the breakdown I've given friends in helping them try to figure out what to play when the expansion hits:

Federation - diversity and customization.
Klingon Empire - efficiency and raw performance.
Romulan Republic - linear, immersive story/experience.


Personally, my OCD thirst for 'balance' means I tend to play all sides with all classes fairly equally. Each character is a different playstyle, but I enjoy them all for different reasons. Looking forward to adding the torpedo-tank and blaster-master to the stable once the expansion lands.
Republic Veteran
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 349
# 26
05-19-2013, 04:08 PM
It is not weird. While I prefer FED, I can see the appeal of KDF, as I have a Level 50 KDF Officer.
Original Join Date: January 2010
Original Name: -Gen-Alaris
Days Subscribed: 1211 (As of May 26, 2013)
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,087
# 27
05-19-2013, 04:11 PM
No. You are not weird for preferring Klingon over Fed.
I played a Klingon and I liked it!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 28
05-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jermbot View Post
OP, I understand your confusion. Reading the posts on these forums you could be lead to believe that the KDF has no content, no ship choices, and absolutely no redeemable qualities. You've discovered the popular consensus obtained via complaint posts is not entirely correct, and I salute your discovery.
I don't think anyone on the KDF side (other than the crass, uncouth trolls) would say we have 'no content, no ship choices, and no redeemable qualities'. It's more like 'less content than the Feds, less ship choices than the Feds, and maybe less 'positive' qualities than the Feds'. All of which are legit points. Your strawman argument is offensive, and worthy only of a petaQ!
Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,273
# 29
05-19-2013, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amalefactor View Post
Rest assured there are quite a number of KDF that loathe the Federation here.

A lot are from the hipster school of "well the Federation did X bad thing once, so anything goes" or are simply allergic to an organization with good intentions. It's a popular thing these days, as many of these replies will predictably show you.

It's horrible to them to imagine any organization with even the intention of anything other than "me me me" so they smear it in the mud any chance they get with a lot of theorycrafting and blowing exceptions in the show to the Federation's mostly-sterling record way out of proportion.

I also partially blame Ayn Rand and her goofy books.

Me? I play my KDF because only they have Gorn, Gorn are cool, and I think birds-of-prey are cool and fun to fly. The KDF as an organization and as an empire nosedived after Martok was killed, though.
Hahaha, the Federation is full of hypocrisy and self-interest. . .especially in STO. They spread throughout space like an insidious, passive-aggressive parasite. They become 'friends' with you, sap you of your strength and independence, and then absorb you. Just look at the Cardassians. Look at the Romulan petaQ'pu who follow D'tan. They all reek of Federation weakness, of Federation 'morality'.

When the Klingon Empire acted in response to the Undine threat, the Federation cowards backed down and refused to support their allies. They only want allies so that their weak behinds can be saved from rapacious invaders.
Captain
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,181
# 30
05-19-2013, 04:59 PM
I have character from each career path for both Starfleet and the Klingon side and I tend to have more fun on the Klingon side because of the Klingon Bird of Prey. They are so fun and very versatile. All other ships are so much more limited in what they can do. If you get tired of playing a certain way with a Bird of Prey just change bridge officers to something else. Go heavy sci focused or heavy tactical focused or heavy engineering focused or whatever you want. The only type of game play it does not give you with a Bird of Prey is being a carrier.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:03 AM.