Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Captain
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 579
# 41
05-20-2013, 06:26 AM
I totally undertand you,.. I for once want one of those ships but thats 2500 Zen or 5000 Zen. It would probably take me 2 years to save up that Zen as a causal free player. I am already spending to much time on the game and I am still not even near 1000 Zen. I can't invest in real money so for it will be the slow and sad road. There a tons of things I want to get. If you ask me I would hope that they at least increase the cap or half the prices on Zen store.
Career Officer
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 712
# 42
05-20-2013, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestargaze View Post
I totally undertand you,.. I for once want one of those ships but thats 2500 Zen or 5000 Zen. It would probably take me 2 years to save up that Zen as a causal free player. I am already spending to much time on the game and I am still not even near 1000 Zen. I can't invest in real money so for it will be the slow and sad road. There a tons of things I want to get. If you ask me I would hope that they at least increase the cap or half the prices on Zen store.
On the exchange you can buy lock box ships like the mirror universe escorts, science vessels or cruisers. They may not be Vice Admiral ships or fleet ships but they are better ships than those we get for free. Also, at times you can find fleet modules or lock box keys for a high amount of EC. Some of these ships run around 500K to 500Mil EC a lot but with mining loot drops you can get it done.
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1,391
# 43
05-20-2013, 07:12 AM
Grinding for items IS the content.

Minus a handful of items you have access to everything. If anything the paying people should be getting more.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,937
# 44
05-20-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestargaze View Post
I totally undertand you,.. I for once want one of those ships but thats 2500 Zen or 5000 Zen. It would probably take me 2 years to save up that Zen as a causal free player. I am already spending to much time on the game and I am still not even near 1000 Zen. I can't invest in real money so for it will be the slow and sad road. There a tons of things I want to get. If you ask me I would hope that they at least increase the cap or half the prices on Zen store.
First step, learn which missions pay the most Dilithium. For example, a Foundry Spotlight will pay around 2,400 Dilithium for about 15 minutes of playing - you only need to read all the text the first time you do it. 2 characters doing that per day and you're over half-way to your 8k in around 30 minutes. Throw in 1 Contraband mission and some basic Doffing with those 2 characters and you can easily make 8k per day in about 45 minutes.

8,000 per day is 40,000 per week - assuming you play 5 days per week for about an hour each day. At around 135 Exchange rate that's about 300 Zen per week: 1,200-1,500 Zen per month, just from playing around 1 hour 5 days a week. And the more you play the more you can earn.
STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
Survivor of Romulus
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,389
# 45
05-20-2013, 08:48 AM
OP, first of all, wellcome back.
Now please don't get this the wrong way, I'm not trying to bash your opinions, I'm just going to share mine on the issues you brought up and maybe give you another perspective on the things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto1 View Post
The biggest issue is, the stuff you "really really" want, the game almost forces you to buy off the Zen store.

Dilthium is the most valued commodity in the game and you are only allowed to refine 8K a day. You get ore which is useless until refined, hence the 24hr restriction to refine. DIL is used to buy nearly everything. If you want to get more then a days worth you would have to buy Zen with real money then convert the Zen to fake (DIL) money. (Hence the nearly FORCED having to buy Zen to get DIL.)
The things people "really really want" are quite subjective. Someone really wants a Vesta bundle and he'll have to fork out 5k zen for it. Another person really wants a Hegh'ta BoP and the gets it for free.
It's similar to how the real life works - I really want a Ferrari, but what I actually need is a car. Now any car wouldn't be as cool and awesome as the Ferrari, but it will get the job done. Same in STO - every faction has access to a nice selection of free T5 ships that can get the job done and especially a big portion of the Klingon players manage to do awesome work with those free T5 ships we have availible.

However, even if you have your heart set up to some of the C-Store ships, there is a mechanism in STO that allows you to obtain one without spending real money. You'll have to work for it, which is only fair in my book.
Then as others have mentioned, if you get more than 1 char, you have the additional 8k to refine per day. Also, already mentioned in replies before, but if there were no refinment cap the dilithuim exchange would crash and burn, essentialy destroying the F2P model Cryptic has installed for STO. Because believe me, there are people that would literraly spend day and night grinding dil. if there is no cap. Sounds strange, but we all know that this kind of people are out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto1 View Post
Some ships costs ZEN AND DIL. This makes no sense because now you are paying almost double to get something.
There is absolutely no ship in STO that costs Zen and dilithium at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto1 View Post
Lock boxes are dropped which need "master keys" which of course you have to buy on the Zen store, which costs real money. Or buy it off the exchange for about 1.7Mil EC a piece. This is obvious the biggest money maker in the game, and probably the biggest rip off due to the fact most of the time you get CRAP or you buy 10 keys at a time which cost 1200 ZEN which is ridiculous.
The biggest money maker? Yeah, it seems so. Don't forget that the devs. are people too, that have to eat, live, pay bills and even have families and children to feed, put through school etc. Something has to make money for the game in order to keep it allive and add new content. Would you do your job for free?

The biggest rip-off? Not so much. Why? Because it's a lottery that noone is in any form obliged to participate in. When you do participate, you do so willingly and aware that you are taking part of a lottery that may have you end up with something you didn't really need.
Personally, I like opening the boxes from time to time, but I don't do it for the ships. I do it for the doff packs and some other neat items that are unique to a certain lockbox. I also do it for the lobi that allows me to get some cool items like warrior skrits, timeship uniforms or unique consoles. So I never feel cheated, I usually get what I was after. If a ship pops up, all the better, but I don't treat it as a must have.
The biggest argument against the lockboxes is made by people that feel they must get a certain ship. They get frustrated that they don't, when it never said that they'll have to get one eventualy. A guy can open 10 boxes and get 8 ships and another guy can open 1000 of them and don't get one. It's lady luck, if you play the lottery you have to be prepared for such an outcome as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto1 View Post
If you can deal with the insane prices for items and ships for the game, go ahead and play. If you can't afford to pay out the bucks don't bother to play. In all honesty. There is also no real advantage to subscribing. Why not even give people a discount off the store so now you are paying 15 dollars a month plus ZEN ? That is INSANE. Getting 500 ZEN a month is not worth it, as you would get that ANYWAY if you played the game for free.

When you join a FLEET you can get FLEET ships, but the only way to get THOSE is a FLEET MODULE. WHICH AGAIN OF COURSE you have to buy off then Zen store. (THAT IS A FORCED BUY. Don't tell me IT ISN'T).

They are 500 ZEN A PIECE. (That is INSANE). some ships need FIVE Modules. You can buy the equivalent refit ship on the ZEN STORE, to make it cost ONE fleet module but again it's half a dozen one way or the other, there is no difference. You end up paying the same thing.
Explain to me a forced buy? Who's forcing you to buy it? The only one that can force you to buy a fleet ship is yourself. There is no content that is locked behind owning a fleet ship.

The fleet modules can also be found on the exchange for EC.
BTW, you can get retrofits of certain ships in the fleet shipyard that don't cost modules, only fleet marks.

Actually, I don't feel forced to do anything in STO. STO is very loose on what you can do without the "have to" element being forced upon you.
In fact, not being forced into anything in this game has actually stimulated me to become a Gold subscriber, preorder the Starter Pack for LoR and buy master keys to open lockboxes. Because I apreciate not being forced into anything and like that about this game a lot.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto1 View Post
So not only do you have to work your butt off in the game, you have to work your real job very hard and earn real money to play a game to earn fake stuff. It's become a very lucrative business this game and makes me more and more angry the more I find out how they nickel and dime you, and they set it up PERFECTLY.

This game is loaded with content now, but the way it's nickel and dimming you is insanity. It makes me angry I am having a lot of fun, but I become more angry as I find out what needs to be done just to earn things in the game.

Don't tell me it's the same thing if you paid 15.00 a month back in the day. You can spend well over $100.00 in this game in a DAY, then you did in a YEAR with other sub games. Still earn the same stuff.

How can NO ONE else be annoyed by this?
Seriously? You say STO is nickel and dimming for content a day before the game's first expansion, that happens to be completely free?

In other games you would pay for this expansion. In STO you get it for free and not only that, but you can play it completely for free - because in STO you have all the assets you need to go through the playing experience given to us for free.
Sure, there are some nice toys that can be purchased, but again, if STO makes no money there will be no STO. Because no dev. is insane enough to work for free no matter how much he/she likes Star Trek. And even then, all that can be purchased in STO can be obtained by playing the game, so you can't really say that STO is nickel and diming you.

You see, the way I see it is that you only have to work your but off in the game if you're a member of the group of "must have it right away" players. For me, the game is a linear experience that goes forward. I may log in today in my regular spare time and do one mission. I may log in the same time tomorrow and see there's fleet mark bonus event, so I'll do that. Eventually, I'll obtain everything I desire, but at my own pace while having fun doing it and never feel that I had to work my butt off in STO or start feeling as it is my second job.

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!

Last edited by shpoks; 05-20-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Commander
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 410
# 46
05-20-2013, 09:01 AM
While it's true a lot of ships and neat consoles are in the C-Store it's also true that technically you could grind dilithium and convert it to Zen and not actually pay anything for anything in this game. STO is one of the only MMO that I know of that is truly free 2 play. I gather from your post you want instant gratification. MMO's are boring unless you are working towards something. So work towards whatever ship/gear you want. There are a lot of ways to farm dilithium and eventually you will convert enough to get whatever you want.


U.S.S. Mary Celeste
Lt. Commander
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 140
# 47
05-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikephorus View Post
While it's true a lot of ships and neat consoles are in the C-Store it's also true that technically you could grind dilithium and convert it to Zen and not actually pay anything for anything in this game. STO is one of the only MMO that I know of that is truly free 2 play. I gather from your post you want instant gratification. MMO's are boring unless you are working towards something. So work towards whatever ship/gear you want. There are a lot of ways to farm dilithium and eventually you will convert enough to get whatever you want.
Actually NO. I have been playing this game since CLOSED BETA. Bugged STF's and all. Horrible Terradome. Dieing 50 times from the Borg Queen. But I GRINDED and EARNED my stuff. The borg stuff, the aegis stuff. Now with Aegis you are again FORCED to buy these weird traces on the DIL store that of course, cost DIL. Which wastes more DIL and causes you even LONGER to earn a decent amount to even buy one thing. I worked my butt off from day one to get my character to where it is. This isn't about earning anymore, it's who has the most money. Things in this game could take you over a year to get. That's not "earning it" that is just plain ridiculous.

This game is purposely setup so eventually you will have to trade Zen for DIL or DIL for Zen. Even if you wanted to trade DIL for ZEN that will TAKE FOREVER because of the 8K a day limit. NOT EVERYONE wants to have MULTIPLE toons.

There comes a line between getting boring and then actually earning something. The game would become far unplayable after awhile just to earn one thing, without having to pay for something.

So don't give me that crap that I didn't earn or grind, because believe me I did. I worked my butt off in those STF's (the old ones) and then some. Every single Episode in the series, gaining everything in the BReen, Borg, Constantly grinding in the Gamma Orioinis sector.

How do you earn more character slots? How do you earn more DOFF slots? How do you earn more bank space?? YOU CAN'T you have to BUY IT. And the prices are outrageous for a few more slots to put stuff in.

Last edited by nafeasonto1; 05-20-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Captain
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,060
# 48
05-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto1 View Post
This game is purposely setup so eventually you will have to trade Zen for DIL or DIL for Zen. Even if you wanted to trade DIL for ZEN that will TAKE FOREVER because of the 8K a day limit.
This is absolutely outrageous for a game financed entierly by unicorn farts and the prayers of small children.
_________________
Nebula coffee is the best coffee
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,836
# 49
05-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestargaze View Post
I totally undertand you,.. I for once want one of those ships but thats 2500 Zen or 5000 Zen. It would probably take me 2 years to save up that Zen as a causal free player. I am already spending to much time on the game and I am still not even near 1000 Zen. I can't invest in real money so for it will be the slow and sad road. There a tons of things I want to get. If you ask me I would hope that they at least increase the cap or half the prices on Zen store.
Did you notice one important thing about your post that differs from the OP's complaint? I'll point it out to you. You use the word

"Want" not "Need"

Unlike the OP you realize that everything in the C-Store are spiffy, neato, fluff items, but you don't need them to play the game. You recognize that you aren't "forced" to buy them because nothing in the game requires you to have them. You understand that if you want instant gratification you pay for it, or you choose to earn it for free by investing time in earning it playing the game.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 3,836
# 50
05-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafeasonto1 View Post
How do you earn more character slots? How do you earn more DOFF slots? How do you earn more bank space?? YOU CAN'T you have to BUY IT. And the prices are outrageous for a few more slots to put stuff in.
Boy Cryptic and PWE are a bunch of evil fill in the blanks because they let players get stuff for FREE from the C-Store by earning Dilithium playing the game for FREE and getting FREE zen by taking surveys!!

HOW DARE THEY GIVE STUFF AWAY FOR FREE!!!!

RABBLE, RABBLE, RABBLE!!!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:34 PM.