Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 *Solved* Heat Issue
01-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Ok folks, from seeing the testing done by someone else on the forum and my own looking into it, it seems that the heat issue is being caused by the game having an unrestricted FPS cap.
When I type /maxfps then hit enter, my game returns 0.00000, which usually means unrestricted.
If that is indeed the problem, then what you will need to do is either enable Vsync and/or in the chat window, type /maxfps 60 then enter. If your monitor refresh is 75, try 75.
If overheating still continues, you should be able to drop it down to 40, maybe 30, and that should solve the heating problems.
Also, i am unsure if its related but I'd change it anyway, under the Video section of the settings and under troubleshooting, turn off the framerate stabilizer and auto frame rate stabilizer. Anything that messes with stuff dynamically sounds dodgy to me...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-17-2010, 09:57 PM
bump good info thx... better sentence structure needed
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-17-2010, 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarath
Ok folks, from seeing the testing done by someone else on the forum, and my own looking into it, it seems that the heat issue is being caused by the game having an unrestricted FPS cap. If you type /maxfps then hit enter, my game returned 0.00000, which usually means unrestricted.
If that is indeed the problem, then what you will need to do is either enable Vsync, and/or in the chat window, type /maxfps 60 then enter. If your monitor refresh is 75, try 75. if overheating still continues, you should be able to drop it down to 40, maybe 30, and that should solve the heating problems. Also, i am unsure if its unrelated, but i'd change it anyway, under the Video section of the settings, and under trouble shooting, turn off the framerate stabilizer, and auto frame rate stabilizer. Anything that messes with stuff dynamically sounds dodgy to me...
I changed that to maxfps 60, I couldnt change monitor refresh rate though seeing as I play window mode, no other way for me to check temperatures. But it did help slightly, not completely but alot more doable now. Seems like I am stuck between 70 to 80 degree.

The framerate in troubleshooting was auto off on my side, but I turned off GPU-accelerated particles aswell, didnt change much but its gotta help seeing as I got a duocore anyways. Dont know what else I could turn down in video without screwing over the whole graphics on it.

Visual special fx, whats that for exactly?

And thanks for the help btw! xD
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-17-2010, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsixa
I changed that to maxfps 60, I couldnt change monitor refresh rate though seeing as I play window mode, no other way for me to check temperatures. But it did help slightly, not completely but alot more doable now. Seems like I am stuck between 70 to 80 degree.

The framerate in troubleshooting was auto off on my side, but I turned off GPU-accelerated particles aswell, didnt change much but its gotta help seeing as I got a duocore anyways. Dont know what else I could turn down in video without screwing over the whole graphics on it.

Visual special fx, whats that for exactly?

And thanks for the help btw! xD
some video cards run hotter then others especially under load, yours might be in the category that runs warmer, and may not run much cooler then 70 while under load.

also as far as i understand the human eye can't distinguish much difference past 30fps anyhow, so just for test purposes you might lower your maxfps to 30 just to see how that effects your GPU temps if nothing else it can't hurt and may help others as well.

if you do test the 30 maxfps and it drasticly reduces your GPU heat you might then try turning some of the other things you turned off back on and see how that effects things. or bump it up to 40 fps etc
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Nah, everyone is different. I can see the difference between 40 and 60, but even down to like 25 or 30 is still perfectly playable. So long as its a constant 30. Its when the framerate starts jumping around is when you start to notice it more. And it becomes more of an annoyance.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
some video cards run hotter then others especially under load, yours might be in the category that runs warmer, and may not run much cooler then 70 while under load.

also as far as i understand the human eye can't distinguish much difference past 30fps anyhow, so just for test purposes you might lower your maxfps to 30 just to see how that effects your GPU temps if nothing else it can't hurt and may help others as well.
Well, mine can take up to 80+, I know that from playing STO. But I still preferrable hold it under 70 degrees. Anything above just starts worrying me. I can run **** under 70, so I was fine with that. Although I dont want the fan to be runnign 100 % all the time. The fan will just wear out if I ask 100 % the whole time. I usually have it on 80 %, the automatic fan control is kind of ****, it hardly ever goes to 80 %, even when overheating badly lol.

Edit : I guess you gotta redo the command everytime? Seeing as I logged in and out of the game, maxfps is back on 0.00000. I'll let it go a bit warmer first and see if 60-30 is a big difference or not.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Scarath? Fancy seeing you here.

I thought MMO's weren't your thing? Or did trolling German FPS players get old?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsixa
Well, mine can take up to 80+, I know that from playing STO. But I still preferrable hold it under 70 degrees. Anything above just starts worrying me. I can run **** under 70, so I was fine with that. Although I dont want the fan to be runnign 100 % all the time. The fan will just wear out if I ask 100 % the whole time. I usually have it on 80 %, the automatic fan control is kind of ****, it hardly ever goes to 80 %, even when overheating badly lol.

Edit : I guess you gotta redo the command everytime? Seeing as I logged in and out of the game, maxfps is back on 0.00000. I'll let it go a bit warmer first and see if 60-30 is a big difference or not.
cool sorry to be asking you to guinea pig these tests but i don't have the problems to be able to test fixes or i would do it myself, and your help will hopefully improve play for others and help the devs narrow down where the exact problem is.

and the 30fps comment was meant as an on average thing, just like some people can see further into the purple or red light spectrum then others. also the human mind registers changes more readily then something steady, so if the framerate is jumping around from 2 to 40 to 60 to 12 you are more likely to see it where a steady rise from 40 to 50 fps may not be seen. 30 i believe is the frame rate where the average person won't notice improvements easily unless it is sudden and drastic in scope of change or constantly changing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-17-2010, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
cool sorry to be asking you to guinea pig these tests but i don't have the problems to be able to test fixes or i would do it myself, and your help will hopefully improve play for others and help the devs narrow down where the exact problem is.

and the 30fps comment was meant as an on average thing, just like some people can see further into the purple or red light spectrum then others. also the human mind registers changes more readily then something steady, so if the framerate is jumping around from 2 to 40 to 60 to 12 you are more likely to see it where a steady rise from 40 to 50 fps may not be seen. 30 i believe is the frame rate where the average person won't notice improvements easily unless it is sudden and drastic in scope of change or constantly changing.
Seems like the maxfps thing isnt a big difference. It only changes activity a small bit. I did turn off GPU-accelerated particles in troubleshooting, which said that its better for faster cpu's with slower graphics card. May be that actually did the big trick cause right now the activity hardly ever exceeds 50 %

I could always try putting it back on and seeing the difference really
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-17-2010, 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gash-jackel View Post
Scarath? Fancy seeing you here.

I thought MMO's weren't your thing? Or did trolling German FPS players get old?

Erm, what? thats not me... I would have put my forum name as my usual Weidass, but it wouldnt let me for some reason or another... but yeah... not german... Sorry dude, wrong guy.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:24 PM.