Lt. Commander
# 21
01-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Thanks for posting this! Completely fixed the issue for me. Where I was getting GPU temps of 80-85C+ before it shutdown, it's topping out about 68C now.

P.S. Everybody that blamed our comps for overheating may now proceed to suck it.
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-18-2010, 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by addik47 View Post
Thanks for posting this! Completely fixed the issue for me. Where I was getting GPU temps of 80-85C+ before it shutdown, it's topping out about 68C now.

P.S. Everybody that blamed our comps for overheating may now proceed to suck it.
its still overheating
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemis View Post
/showfps 1

anyone tried adding /maxfps 60 into the command line for the options in the launcher menu? that might set it everytime you load the game, if it does indeed help anyone.
i looked through preferences, the maxfps option is not there, it must be hard coded into the game, so devs have to fix it

putting the command into the launcher does nothing, maxfps still resets to 0.00
usually those advanced command line options come in the form of "-command" (without quotes) figuring out the advanced command to force maxfps down if unknown to me atm though. i am looking and playing around though.

for those of you wanting to try the vsync fix but can't load the game to get to options, that one can be turned on through preference file alteration pm me if you want to try it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
for those of you wanting to try the vsync fix but can't load the game to get to options, that one can be turned on through preference file alteration pm me if you want to try it.
Or use item #2 from this guide to find the file, edit it, and save it via Notepad to enable the option.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Tryed different configs in the graphics menu, "half resolution" seems to fix it for me.
V-Sync is also on...

Both off = 99% activity
Both on = 37% activity

And thats only in the menu

Maybe this helps someone.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1686/stogpuheat.jpg
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Or use item #2 from this guide to find the file, edit it, and save it via Notepad to enable the option.
that would be how it is done, i posted to pm me for safety purposes as editing game files is not generally recommended, and i didn't want people unsure of what they are doing messing with the files without me being able to warn them etc lol
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-18-2010, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerksis View Post
Tryed different configs in the graphics menu, "half resolution" seems to fix it for me.
V-Sync is also on...

Both off = 99% activity
Both on = 37% activity

And thats only in the menu

Maybe this helps someone.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/1686/stogpuheat.jpg
Why are you running at "half resolution"? You just took a huge visual quality hit because if you were running at say 1280x1024, you'd now by running at 640x512.

Vertical sync is a good thing, as I always run with that it (it prevents screen tearing and keeps your GPU from generating more frames than you need).
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Why are you running at "half resolution"? You just took a huge visual quality hit because if you were running at say 1280x1024, you'd now by running at 640x512.

Vertical sync is a good thing, as I always run with that it (it prevents screen tearing and keeps your GPU from generating more frames than you need).
not in this case, in the game "half resolution" cuts down the "distance" objects are rendered on the screen, with the quality of the textures degrading the further away from you they are. ie something i see at 10km is cleaner looking then it is for him, and things 15km away doesn't show up for him at all.

it makes sense that half res would help cool the card. the more things the card has to render, and the more detailed the renderings are, the more the card has to work and thus the hotter it might run.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotmagnet
not in this case, in the game "half resolution" cuts down the "distance" objects are rendered on the screen, with the quality of the textures degrading the further away from you they are. ie something i see at 10km is cleaner looking then it is for him, and things 15km away doesn't show up for him at all.

it makes sense that half res would help cool the card. the more things the card has to render, and the more detailed the renderings are, the more the card has to work and thus the hotter it might run.
Interesting. I think I see what you mean. It's half resolution of objects in-game, not of the client itself, correct?

I remember trying this option in the closed beta client and it looked like 4 pixels of my monitors equated to 1 pixel in-game, but that could just be because it was buggy at the time.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-19-2010, 01:31 AM
I am not playing with this option turned on, my card is 100% load in the menu only, after the game loads its at 50% without the options on.

i just played with the options to look what could cause this heavy load in the menu.