Lt. Commander
# 21
05-21-2013, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
Have fun enforcing non-US laws with a US based company.

To be honest, they could be arsed.
They are trading in an EU market and are held to the laws of the region they are trading in, lol. If there was actually a law being broken, I guarantee you that someone - somewhere would be getting the money they want.
Republic Veteran
# 22
05-21-2013, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakatastrophie View Post
I'm not American. I earn my money instead of living off lawsuits.
Ooh, salty! For the record, I just got off my 12-hour shift in my American emergency department at the local hospital. So, shove it.
____
Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
Starfleet Veteran
# 23
05-21-2013, 06:39 PM
I think this is getting a little out of hand.

#1: It's obvious the OP is a little butthurt because he didn't read the fineprint and then Googled some precedents to complain. The reason he did it here for is laziness and convenience.

#2: These replies about you "taking offence" because he insulted all of your American friends? Quit whining. He used a stereotype, boo hoo. I'm British, think I should cry whenever people imagine me as a possibly-homosexual bowler hat wearing toothless ponse? No. I shrug it off. So don't QQ.

There are enough replies on here saying he's wrong, do we really need more pages? Prob best to just let this thread die.
Captain
# 24
05-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmym View Post
Have fun enforcing non-US laws with a US based company.

To be honest, they could be arsed.
A U.S. company sold to an Asian conglomerate which is marketing its product internationally - I see PWE settling out of court in case like this.
Captain
# 25
05-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegrassgeek View Post
Ooh, salty! For the record, I just got off my 12-hour shift in my American emergency department at the local hospital. So, shove it.
Bragging about the day shift is only making their point more relevant.
Republic Veteran
# 26
05-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
Bragging about the day shift is only making their point more relevant.
That doesn't even make sense.
____
Keep calm, and continue firing photon torpedoes.
Republic Veteran
# 27
05-22-2013, 05:12 AM
All this would make sense if the VAT notice was not given anyway. But it was. So it is not law breaking but simply shrewd marketing.
# 28
05-22-2013, 05:24 AM
I was going to give 6/10 but the insults to our American friends dropped it to 1/10.

Good laugh tho lol.

FLTCDR SRS FLEETS - S.R.S. - S.R.S. ACADEMY - SRS GUARDIANS - SRS KDF
Join Us www.srs-fleet.net/html/join_srs.html
Starfleet Veteran
# 29
05-22-2013, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectfrontier View Post
A U.S. company sold to an Asian conglomerate which is marketing its product internationally - I see PWE settling out of court in case like this.
No, I see them citing the Columbia House case. As with a lot of things, Canada simply adopted UK laws in this area. Columbia House billed Canadian customers in US dollars, which banks always process at a worse exchange rate than market, and with most credit cards the buyer incurred two fees - one for currency conversion and one for an international transaction, meaning a Canadian customer could have paid as much as $3 for a $0.49 cassette.

But by all means, go ahead and report them to the HMRC. I know of nine other players, just since the PWE acquisition, who have done so and learned something about the law.

As a note, claiming a company is breaking the law regarding their pricing when they are not for purposes of altering the prices is considered fraud by intimidation in the US.
Republic Veteran
# 30
05-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakatastrophie View Post
Hello.

Just thought I'd post it here, considering I'm not getting a response from my support tickets.

The legacy pack is advertised at $124.99.
I choose to buy via paypal. Imagine my suprise when I find myself being charged for GBP105.29 (that's $159.74) when I was expecting it to be closer to GBP82.39.
Looking at it via Euros, it's charging EUR119.99, when it should be around EUR96.82.

As far as I can tell, this discrepancy is because you're adding on VAT when we Europeans hit the payment process.

This is in direct breach of EU and UK trading laws, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/basics.htm, which clearly state:

"Products advertised in outlets, magazines, on the internet, or shown in catalogues, price lists and other literature may be aimed at the consumer, businesses, or both. If they're only meant for the general public, they'll show you a price including VAT. This is a legal requirement."

By not showing us Europeans the price we'd be paying including VAT charges, you are breaking the law every time a European makes a transaction with you.

Consider your position on this.
Have a nice day.
Good luck enforcing EU/UK trade laws to an internet product from a US company.