Lt. Commander
I know my 8800GT runs hot, but during gameplay is it supposed to be at 106 degrees C, I mean thats HOOOOTTT no other game with better graphix runs near that and i have a after market fan on it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-16-2010, 10:03 PM
There are a couple of discussions below about that very subject.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalMaden View Post
There are a couple of discussions below about that very subject.
Below what
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Actually they are above us now.

Try the thread "STO blew of my computers" and "Scary. The game turned off my computer."
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-16-2010, 10:59 PM
I also put a ticket in, I would recommend doing the same as we haven't got a response from cryptic on the issue yet. My video card is the exact model stated in the minimum system requirements, usually it runs much more intense games with no problem but with STO it gets up to 90-100 degrees and as soon as I quit STO it starts immediately cooling down to 62 degrees. I have every graphic setting set to minimum and have tried everything that people said works for them in the other thread, all it does is slow down the rate of the heat increase.

It is becoming more obvious to me that this is a problem with the game other than my video card as more and more people seem to be experiencing it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-16-2010, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narakhi
I also put a ticket in, I would recommend doing the same as we haven't got a response from cryptic on the issue yet. My video card is the exact model stated in the minimum system requirements, usually it runs much more intense games with no problem but with STO it gets up to 90-100 degrees and as soon as I quit STO it starts immediately cooling down to 62 degrees. I have every graphic setting set to minimum and have tried everything that people said works for them in the other thread, all it does is slow down the rate of the heat increase.

It is becoming more obvious to me that this is a problem with the game other than my video card as more and more people seem to be experiencing it.
A temporary fix might be to manually adjust the fan speed on your video card, usually through nVidias nTune utility, or a 3rd party program. (I like EVGA's Precision tool the most TBH)

It's not so much the games fault for directly overheating your card.

The game is just very graphically intense, and is simply pushing the video card past what it can handle.
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastev
A temporary fix might be to manually adjust the fan speed on your video card, usually through nVidias nTune utility, or a 3rd party program. (I like EVGA's Precision tool the most TBH)

The game is just very graphically intense, and is simply pushing the video card past what it can handle.
Didn't know I could do that, will try it thanks.

But honestly if I have the minimum specs video card wise I expect to be able to play a game without smelling something burning inside my computer

Hopefully for those of us experiencing this issue we will get a reply from cryptic soon. I really don't want to upgrade my video card yet as I don't see a point because better vid cards than mine are experiencing the same problems.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-17-2010, 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kastev

It is the games fault for over heating it, I use rivatuner and have it at 100% fan turned on FULL blast, and my 8800GT sits at 109C tell me that snot right.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanvhere View Post
It is the games fault for over heating it, I use rivatuner and have it at 100% fan turned on FULL blast, and my 8800GT sits at 109C tell me that snot right.
Yeah my fan was already at 100% as well, there's something going on here let's just hope they check it out before release because other people's comps are blowing up and stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-17-2010, 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narakhi
Yeah my fan was already at 100% as well, there's something going on here let's just hope they check it out before release because other people's comps are blowing up and stuff.
This has the potential for a PR nightmare. There are a couple reports in the other threads of vid cards or PSUs getting fried. They better take this seriously, at the least running at such a high temperature shortens the lifespan of parts.