Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
I have Heard About Nvidia Cards Having driver issues with STO and was wondering if anyone has figured out exactly which drivers are best for individual card models, for example i have a Geforce 8600 GT (on win7 64-bit), my Roommate also in beta, ((with his own acct. and pre-order key)) has a Geforce 9600 GSO OC(768MB) (on win7 32-bit), and was wondering if i should use the same version drivers for each, or if i should use seperate versions for each, and i know to use the seperate 32-bit versus 64-bit, respectively for the proper systems, as well as i need to know which drivers i should probly downgrade to, i'm currently using the 195.81 version beta drivers!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
01-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alidar_Jarok
I have Heard About Nvidia Cards Having driver issues with STO and was wondering if anyone has figured out exactly which drivers are best for individual card models, for example i have a Geforce 8600 GT (on win7 64-bit), my Roommate also in beta, ((with his own acct. and pre-order key)) has a Geforce 9600 GSO OC(768MB) (on win7 32-bit), and was wondering if i should use the same version drivers for each, or if i should use seperate versions for each, and i know to use the seperate 32-bit versus 64-bit, respectively for the proper systems, as well as i need to know which drivers i should probly downgrade to, i'm currently using the 195.81 version beta drivers!
just pray u dont get the heat issue problem. I highly suggest you get rivatuner and monitor your heat. If your lucky then you wont have an issue but better safe then sorry. Also test out other games that have a higher reccomended specs so you can see the average temp for games when they are working hard. So far STO has given me temps 20-30celsius higher then any of my other games.

This is beta so hopefully they will fix it but if not I see STO flopping out the gate.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fadde View Post
just pray u dont get the heat issue problem. I highly suggest you get rivatuner and monitor your heat. If your lucky then you wont have an issue but better safe then sorry. Also test out other games that have a higher reccomended specs so you can see the average temp for games when they are working hard. So far STO has given me temps 20-30celsius higher then any of my other games.

This is beta so hopefully they will fix it but if not I see STO flopping out the gate.
i was meaning the lag and rubberbanding, jittereyness and other related issues i heard about dealing with the compatibility of the driver versions for nvidia geforce cards, i never have heat issues this thing came overclocked, the only temperature issue i have ever had with it at all was to belive it or not being too cool, the fix for that was to clock it more
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
01-18-2010, 01:04 PM
Good question, but good luck finding any consistancy so far in the beta cycle. I'm running
win7 pro x64
i7 @ 860
4g ddr3
and a BFG made nvid GTX285 1024mb

and I had all sorts of trouble with the 190.62 drivers. This weekend I literary took my computer back to day one with the drivers that came of the BFG disc. So now I'm running old Microsoft display drivers, and nvid driver 186.xx (can look what version when I get off work). On Sunday I was able to finally play with out any studdering and had a solid and reliable session for about 10 hours. I'm hoping to repeat the game expirence after work.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
01-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai9100 View Post
Good question, but good luck finding any consistancy so far in the beta cycle. I'm running
win7 pro x64
i7 @ 860
4g ddr3
and a BFG made nvidia GTX285 1024mb

and I had all sorts of trouble with the 190.62 drivers. This weekend I literary took my computer back to day one with the drivers that came of the BFG disc. So now I'm running old Microsoft display drivers, and nvidia driver 186.xx (can look what version when I get off work). On Sunday I was able to finally play with out any stuttering and had a solid and reliable session for about 10 hours. I'm hoping to repeat the game expirence after work.
To Let you know windows 7 professional is not meant for gaming, there are key components that are missing to make it worth using for gaming that no matter what windows updates you install unless you upgrade to windows 7 ultimate or switch to windows 7 home premium, any game you use on pro will have excessive problems / difficulties or possibly not work at all

and definitely do not get windows 7 home basic or the windows 7 starter edition if that is even in the u.s. but only home premium and ultimate will function worth while for gaming and only because that is the only real reason they made those versions

plus i've upgraded to brand new 196.21 drvers released earlier this week for geforce cards and no issues actually runs smoother than ever on higher settings than before
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
01-22-2010, 10:49 AM
I installed the latest 196 drivers and all was better. I also used the described by a DEV that reduces frames thus heat issues - With the launcher open, go to options and type this in the advance command box - '-perframesleep 10' (no quotes of course..)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelissa View Post
I installed the latest 196 drivers and all was better. I also used the described by a DEV that reduces frames thus heat issues - With the launcher open, go to options and type this in the advance command box - '-perframesleep 10' (no quotes of course..)
could you link to the dev post on that launcher command, and any others you may be aware of please or if you can send a mail to my forum mail if thats possible here, i know i have an inbox on here
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
01-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alidar_Jarok
could you link to the dev post on that launcher command, and any others you may be aware of please or if you can send a mail to my forum mail if thats possible here, i know i have an inbox on here
mm, not sure where the DEV thread is.. prolly in the 'overheating' topics..
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
01-22-2010, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alidar_Jarok
To Let you know windows 7 professional is not meant for gaming, there are key components that are missing to make it worth using for gaming that no matter what windows updates you install unless you upgrade to windows 7 ultimate or switch to windows 7 home premium, any game you use on pro will have excessive problems / difficulties or possibly not work at all

and definitely do not get windows 7 home basic or the windows 7 starter edition if that is even in the u.s. but only home premium and ultimate will function worth while for gaming and only because that is the only real reason they made those versions

plus i've upgraded to brand new 196.21 drvers released earlier this week for geforce cards and no issues actually runs smoother than ever on higher settings than before
Can you provide me with any proof of your statement? If you can, I'll upgrade once again, but if you can't prove these "key components" that Win 7 x64 Pro is missing, I'll just keep my current system that all other games run on flawlessly. (Thanks, maybe?)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
01-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai9100 View Post
Can you provide me with any proof of your statement? If you can, I'll upgrade once again, but if you can't prove these "key components" that Win 7 x64 Pro is missing, I'll just keep my current system that all other games run on flawlessly. (Thanks, maybe?)
No proof is ever going to surface on that lol. Mainly because there is none. With a few minor exceptions, all versions are identical. All the features in Ultimate (ripoff btw) are in basic, but not enabled. Same thing with alot of video cards. All of the "overclocked and super-clocked editions you pay 50 dollars more for a bios with higher clocks speeds entered, the card is identical.

Stick with home premium - pro x64
Don't touch x86.... period
Driver versions - your gonna have to test. 196 might work for some, others it won't. 196 fixed my stuttering issue but I now have the cursor bug. Running 2x 260's. I'm thinking of trying 190's but I'm not sure if it's worth it. With a 7600 it really doesn't matter what drivers you use. If the game runs with no errors keep em.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:33 AM.