Lt. Commander
# 21
01-19-2010, 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
Then you must have an Asus motherboard that's no longer supported, hence no more development of drivers. Almost any Vista drivers will work in Windows 7, but Asus has garbage code in there to prevent installing it because it thinks you're running NT 5.1 kernel of some unknown Windows version. Blame Asus.

You don't want to run without chipset drivers.

If your motherboard is older and no longer supported for development of newer operating systems, then why did you install Windows 7? I assume you didn't even check those things out first?

Two options: upgrade your motherboard and reinstall Windows 7 ~or~ go back to Windows XP or Vista.
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
man don't you see that so many people have same freaking problem ?
they can play different games but not this 1 ! if u want ern some money on this game
start doing some work
I have same problem i posted in different topic and in this 1 but no help !
Dont you see that problem is YOUR GAME tell me why different games like:
Champions online working fine but not this 1 !!! Its ridiculous that u cant support more computers.
Why there is no problem with different game but Star trek ? some different developers doing job right but You ? I've payed for early start and open beta so at this point i will need to contact some one for refund !
STOP putting blame on hardware , software, system. and start resolve this problem by patch ! and again well done closed beta testers : YOU ARE USELESS !!!
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-19-2010, 04:31 AM
cipher_nemo is just a player like us not a Cryptic developer, he has a good grasp of pc tech but can be somewhat biased saying its allways the players system vs the game (IE alot of people he replies to have no problems with anything other than STO so it must be your system ) .
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-19-2010, 04:46 AM
as i've said i only have problems here. its not overheating atall...rather odd i can play high spec games but this doesnt, i call shenanigans and i think its a client error rather than pc error sorry

thanks for the replies though, developers really don't care about subs huh...
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-19-2010, 06:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamo
OMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(...)

some different developers doing job right but You ? I've payed for early start and open beta so at this point i will need to contact some one for refund !
STOP putting blame on hardware , software, system. and start resolve this problem by patch ! and again well done closed beta testers : YOU ARE USELESS !!!
I could lay on the personal insults here, but that's not how one participates on a forum. As nyrexx mentioned, I am just another community member here, not a Cryptic employee. My sig should give that away.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-20-2010, 07:45 AM
insults are pointless thanks for trying to help but i'd like some information from an employee as to why this is happening...annoying and really off putting never going to sub if this gets ignored till launch
Lt. Commander
# 26
01-20-2010, 07:57 AM
the only problem I have is switching from ground to spce as much of you do, but i can run this game fine, and i have age of conan, wow, and some others too, so it just might be both
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-20-2010, 08:19 AM
I suppose you all ATI users have tryed... "Make sure your catalyst control center is set to let the application handle everything aa/af etc."
(And Default: It might be in 3D / All Settings - Click Default. I had an ATI once too and it fixed some stuff in other games for me)

Well, I just posted this because I suffer with you. I don't really have a clue about ATI cards nowdays. Hope it will be fixed so you can play.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Hey.

I have helped several people with a similar problem to yours. Try this and I expect it will work for most of you with ATI cards. I have even suggested it to the Devs but they have not even took the time to respond.

Anyway you first need to download ATI Tray tools http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-tray-tools-/

Install the one that matches your OS ofc. Now when installed and running right click its tray icon and select 3D or Direct X 3d. Now select Settings.

Make sure AA/AAA/AF are all set to app controlled. I have never had a problem with AA and AAA forced with STO but some people do. So I would suggest setting it to App controlled for all.

Now heres the part that should help: From there select: Additional on the little Tabs.

Now look down to where it says: Geometry Instancing. If its unticked (Driver Defaults to Unticked) Tick it and press apply and ok. Now you can quit ATI tray tools if you like.

You never have to do this again as long as you don't install another driver.

Now fire up STO and see if the problems gone and I suspect it will.

I have never encountered any problem with Instancing on in any game. In fact some like STO and Gothic 3 rely on it. All it does is say you have a rock. Instead of loading 50 instances of it into your GFX memory it just loads the 1 because if said rock is the same in those 50 instances then whats the point of loading it in 50 times when it can be cloned from the 1 loaded rock Basically it.

Not all games use it but there absolutely no adverse effects from leaving it enabled. If I disable it in STO or Gothic 3 then those games are simply unplayable because of crazy artifacing.

Hope this helps and please try it. Only takes 5 mins tops to try.
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishPride
insults are pointless thanks for trying to help but i'd like some information from an employee as to why this is happening...annoying and really off putting never going to sub if this gets ignored till launch
There's no need to be annoyed with Cryptic if there's something wrong on your PC. If you want to troubleshoot it, I'd highly recommend installing chipset drivers first. You have created a situation where you have an older Asus motherboard that isn't officially supported by Asus for Windows 7, yet you installed Windows 7.

From my viewpoint whenever I'm trying to troubleshoot my own PCs or in-person for my co-workers' and friends' PCs, I take care of the chipset drivers before I doing anything else. Without them, you can run into not only serious performance hits, but also strange behavior, especially with NVIDIA nForce chipsets. I'm afraid that you'll continue to have odd problems without the right drivers installed, and Cryptic won't be able to do anything about that since it's your PC.
Lt. Commander
# 30
01-20-2010, 09:17 AM
this screeens make me frightening had 3 cards dieyng that way..... hope my 260gtx does better
btw all 3 died with wow and evrytime after major patches the first with 2.0 bc