Lt. Commander
Since Closed Beta I have been unable to run the game normally.

When attempted, I would get through the Cryptic loading screen, the ST logo loading screen, and then into a black screen with nothing on it but my cursor. Unlike other posters, I had neither the version number nor music. The program would hang there. With Alt-Ctrl-Del I could shut down the program, but immediately afterwards my entire system would hang and I'd have to reboot manually via the power button. Occasionally I'd get a BSOD citing nv4_disp.dll being in an infinite loop as the cause instead.

I have tried after each patch in the hope that it would help, but no luck.

In the meantime, I've been able to play by setting full screen to off and turning on safe mode. However, as of yesterday that has stopped working for me and I'm getting the same results with that as trying to run it normally.

It is not a driver issue--I did a complete format and reinstall of Windows, the 190.62 drivers, and STO with no effect. Prior to that, I tried every GeForce driver released in the past 2 years.

It is not the RAM--I tried the RAM in another computer running STO and it worked fine.

It is related to the graphics card--I tried it in another computer running STO and got the exact same issue.

However, I don't believe it's just the graphics card, because I've never gotten results remotely like this with any other game. While running dxdiag's Direct3D Test, while testing "hardware accelerated Direct3D 9 interfaces", I did once get the BSOD citing nv4_disp.dll, but after many attempts I was unable to reproduce this, so I think it's anomalous.

Does anyone else have a GeForce 8800 GS and if so what has been your experience? I'm wondering if there's a particular quirk of that model which is causing this, or if it's some minor flaw with my card that's only expressing with STO.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-18-2010, 08:35 AM
Try a new Driver my GS8800 works fine
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-18-2010, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuadib
Try a new Driver my GS8800 works fine
Actually it's the new drivers causing issues. I had to roll back to the April drivers for STO to be playable.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-19-2010, 09:15 AM
Could either of you tell me exactly what drivers and settings you're using, please? Like I said I tried many different drivers so I doubt it's that, but I'll try anything with a chance of working, no matter how slim.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Try this.
Use Nvidia 190.62 driver
AA is at 2x
Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion : OFF
Depth of Field : OFF
Shadows : LOW
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight
Try this.
Use Nvidia 190.62 driver
AA is at 2x
Screen-Space Ambient Occlusion : OFF
Depth of Field : OFF
Shadows : LOW
Thanks for the help.

I'm using 190.62 now. And I'm able to set the AA to 2x via the NVIDIA Control Panel. But I can't do anything with those other options you mentioned outside of the game, and I can't get into the game far enough to change them in game. I found a preferences file, but it didn't seem to include those other options either (although I found Antialiasing easily enough).

Do you or anyone else reading this know how to change those settings without being able to get into the game?