Captain
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,103
# 41
05-23-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talzerotwo View Post
Is sto worth it? No its not.

I only play sto for the star trek factor, however it pales in comparison to actual star trek.
As far as switching to another mmo? Nah, I would just drop MMOs all together . For a star trek game I would wait for this one to come out.


--->STEXCALIBUR<---


It's taken a while, but if you're a star trek fan, you'll really see the amount of TLC in its development.
That game sounds very promising, though as an unlicensed piece of work it is very questionable wether it'll see the light of day at one point. But like you, I long for a kind of "Simulation" type of game or an arcade game that's a bit more true to the source material. Even if STO is not the Trek game I long for since "Star Trek" on the NES came out it would be very possible to let this kind of game pay a better tribute to Star Trek - if only the playerbase and/or the developers were interested in this kind of stuff
-> STO players unite and say NO to ARC <- -> Click if you prefer the old forum design! <-
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 242
# 42
05-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talzerotwo View Post


I only play sto for the star trek factor, however it pales in comparison to actual star trek.
As far as switching to another mmo? Nah, I would just drop MMOs all together .
Hit the nail on the head. The only other reason for an MMO is to play together with or against other people and STO really doesn't have that much of that. Only at 50 do you even have to group. Even then the endgame PvE is repetitive and the PvP is horribly lopsided for pre-mades and P2W.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 242
# 43
05-23-2013, 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco23h View Post
I know, I will strongly polarize. Lets do it

Gold-members and life-timers, like me, pay the money for all whiners, who are free-players and enjoy the game. Exactly why gold-members and life-timers have the absolute right of preferential treatment. And sometimes, if there is space on the server, may also fly a free player with us.

Now, chop around.
So if someone is not a gold or lifer but they spent money on the game they are F2P whiners? If I can be a lifer by paying $299 (actually $199 right now) I would be a part of your group. Or better yet I could be a gold member for one month for $14.99 I would also be a part of your group. Well that means if spent money on even one single tier 5 c-store ship I could have spent more money then a gold member. Is that really how you want to define contribution to the game's growth? Well its a free country and your welcome to your opinion . . . Perhaps you might want to realize that non gold members and lifers have spent more money then you give them credit for. I know I have spent more through the F2P model then I would have if had just started the game via subscription.
Empire Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 512
# 44
05-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by talzerotwo View Post
I only play sto for the star trek factor, however it pales in comparison to actual star trek.
As far as switching to another mmo? Nah, I would just drop MMOs all together . For a star trek game I would wait for this one to come out.


--->STEXCALIBUR<---


It's taken a while, but if you're a star trek fan, you'll really see the amount of TLC in its development.
That game is vaporware. It's never coming out.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 729
# 45
05-23-2013, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alopen View Post
Hit the nail on the head. The only other reason for an MMO is to play together with or against other people and STO really doesn't have that much of that. Only at 50 do you even have to group. Even then the endgame PvE is repetitive and the PvP is horribly lopsided for pre-mades and P2W.
+1 that right on the head
<a href=http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5 target=_blank>http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5</a>
Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 729
# 46
05-23-2013, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by variant37 View Post
That game is vaporware. It's never coming out.

Expect it out in 2013


Quote:
"How would you characterise the changes we are going to see this year?

There has been a shift in development from engine and tool work into gameplay. This is very exciting for us for a number of reasons. Firstly it means we start to actually get a game we can play with. Secondly it means we can start paralleling parts of development which were previously serialised. We will be testing the GOM and modularity of Excalibur to its limits, and also be starting to put together a system for managing the mods.

When will we see a release of Excalibur?

Quick Battle will be the first opportunity for fans to get their hands on the game and we are aiming to make that happen in 2013, so keep you eyes peeled for more news and videos in the new year.

A massive thank you to everyone who voted for us in the IndieDB IOTY awards! "

Enjoy the video in the meantime because -that- is rom/rem ship
http://www.indiedb.com/games/star-tr...tar-wings-open

intrepid class in motion with commentary display the games shadow effects, collision control (you can crash into asteroids) and full 3d gameplay as opposed to 2d space
http://www.indiedb.com/games/star-tr...-dead-in-space

other videos http://www.indiedb.com/games/star-trek-excalibur/videos


It is a free, community driven project. Bioware's nwn1 back in the 90s is still going because of all the custom mod paks that players made (helk they made better cape releases than bioware ever did). NWN2 came out and that is doing worse because of the its limitations as far as creating new content. NWN(3) cryptics version, well idk about that because I stopped buying anything cryptic after sto. nothing personal, just want to support the community driven projects as opposed to the company and corporate (pwe) driven projects.
<a href=http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5 target=_blank>http://tinyurl.com/msywqm5</a>
Chillax. No Ego. No Drama.

Like my alien? Watch THE VIDEO
Need custom graphics for you or your fleet? Click HERE

Last edited by talzerotwo; 05-23-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Ensign
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18
# 47
05-23-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alopen View Post
So if someone is not a gold or lifer but they spent money on the game they are F2P whiners? If I can be a lifer by paying $299 (actually $199 right now) I would be a part of your group. Or better yet I could be a gold member for one month for $14.99 I would also be a part of your group. Well that means if spent money on even one single tier 5 c-store ship I could have spent more money then a gold member. Is that really how you want to define contribution to the game's growth? Well its a free country and your welcome to your opinion . . . Perhaps you might want to realize that non gold members and lifers have spent more money then you give them credit for. I know I have spent more through the F2P model then I would have if had just started the game via subscription.
Ok, you spent money on a single c-store ship. How much? $25? So spending $25 should rise your login-priority? Why?
Captain
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,553
# 48
05-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco23h View Post
Ok, you spent money on a single c-store ship. How much? $25? So spending $25 should rise your login-priority? Why?
You know, I found your initial statement amusing, but now you're commenting on login-priority? Let's go over this carefully. Free. To. Play. That means everyone can play it. Which means every customer, even those who play for free, have the same priority, and are worth the same to Cryptic. Sorry to burst your entitled bubble, but you really need to rethink how you see the words "Free to Play".
It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once.
Tired of Wasting EC and Time trying to get Superior Romulan Operative BOffs? Here's a cheap and easy way to get them, with an almost 100% chance of success.
Why the Devs can't make PvE content harder.
Ensign
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18
# 49
05-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereticknight085 View Post
You know, I found your initial statement amusing, but now you're commenting on login-priority? Let's go over this carefully. Free. To. Play. That means everyone can play it. Which means every customer, even those who play for free, have the same priority, and are worth the same to Cryptic. Sorry to burst your entitled bubble, but you really need to rethink how you see the words "Free to Play".
Please keep it clean do not tell anyone what he/she has to do. Maybe you could try to argue?

"Is STO worth the hassle anymore?" I think this question is motivated by the issue that you have to wait more than 1 hour to log in if you are not a goldmember or lifetimer. Anything else would be pointless, because the patch is great and more than worth to play and the devs are working on the lags.

Honestly, you are right, every customer may play the game for free. Where is the problem? Everybody can? I pay for loggin in faster than others who dont pay for it. Is it unfair? There are repeatedly big lags since the game is free to play. I do not pay for that but got it for free from all the players included those who do not want to pay for the game. The login-queue is for keeping them and the lags as small as possible. I wrote "them" because thats economy. There are also many ships and items for free. I pay for ships and items just as you can. A game in this order must be economically or will not survive long. I have recognized this and all I can do for keeping it alive is spend some money on it. I've never read that a free player thanked that but always read the whining threads. I love the game, so I pay for it. Nobody thanks that but it's my hard-earned money, so I expect a high quality. Cryptics works on it.

Last edited by marco23h; 05-24-2013 at 12:08 AM.
Career Officer
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 829
# 50
05-24-2013, 12:18 AM
If I had answered two days ago, I'd still say yes, just accepting the reality of an ugly bug rattling with its bones, that would soon disappear.

Now, on its third morning, my answer is no.

Fine. -'looking into it, investigating that some players 'MIGHT' (!?) have a issue on getting into the game.

I guess it is time to optimize some of that code, at last, eyh?
I do believe it is the first time in my history that I experience a game breaking bug, that won't even let me enter the game anymore. Much less that it is now on its third day without resolution.

The devs are working on it. Great! Respect for that. -Beyond that? Pfhh. I am not impressed.
STO is great if/when it Works. Maybe You Guys should consider switching the Tribble and Holodeck-setup? Tribble is stable as hell compared to Holodeck. Just saying.
Vice Admiral Kerayz of the Federation of Misfits.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 AM.