Rihannsu
# 121
05-23-2013, 02:21 AM
I've also been receiving empty exchange return mails, so as of right now I'm removing all high-value items from the exchange until reasonably assured they won't disappear into the void.
Captain
# 122
05-23-2013, 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuxidemus001 View Post
Yeah I can agree with most that this bank issue is not an exploit and is the main juncture in which majority of the player base has had to use to store items since Cryptic pumps out new items all the time but never addresses storage problems from their practices.

So I believe personally this should be reverted back until a legitimate and reasonable solution is found. Not only is it bad for starbase progression the end result will be people making 100's of accounts and clogging up the servers to work around this. Not only that but as well the exchange will be flooded with all the civilian and science doffs which are already seemingly low. Not trying to bash cryptic but they thought this worked great for neverwinter which is still in its infancy and hasn't been running for 3+ years.
If you use something in a way the devs didn't design it to be used or think it would be used in that way it is an exploit. Exploits aren't always about cheating to gain an advantage. Using another game as an example, WoW before the shattering had parts of the map that were not meant to be reachable. People found ways to get to these areas including GM island. There was no advantage to this nor gain of anything however it was still an exploit and was even punishable.

It is suprising they didn't change this earlier given that they do charge for extra bank space and extra DOFF slots. Just because something has been that way for a certain length of time does not mean it will not change or should stay that way. I was suprised at the mail systems unlimited storage use when I came here as I am used to time restrictions where mail would be deleted after 30 days with attachements or without. They were effectively losing money because of this.

On the DOFF for projects issue maybe they should make a DOFF repositroy at the star base where the DOFFs can be stored until there is enough for the project. This should be free and unlimited however the restriction would be that any put in there can not be retrieved by players.

On BOFFs we need to be able to put them in the bank and even to move them about in our inventory. This would reduce the mail use as storage in this area. This is the only reason I use mail as storage if I could put them in my bank I wouldn't use the mail system for it.
Empire Veteran
# 123
05-23-2013, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia View Post
If you use something in a way the devs didn't design it to be used or think it would be used in that way it is an exploit. Exploits aren't always about cheating to gain an advantage. Using another game as an example, WoW before the shattering had parts of the map that were not meant to be reachable. People found ways to get to these areas including GM island. There was no advantage to this nor gain of anything however it was still an exploit and was even punishable.

It is suprising they didn't change this earlier given that they do charge for extra bank space and extra DOFF slots. Just because something has been that way for a certain length of time does not mean it will not change or should stay that way. I was suprised at the mail systems unlimited storage use when I came here as I am used to time restrictions where mail would be deleted after 30 days with attachements or without. They were effectively losing money because of this.

On the DOFF for projects issue maybe they should make a DOFF repositroy at the star base where the DOFFs can be stored until there is enough for the project. This should be free and unlimited however the restriction would be that any put in there can not be retrieved by players.

On BOFFs we need to be able to put them in the bank and even to move them about in our inventory. This would reduce the mail use as storage in this area. This is the only reason I use mail as storage if I could put them in my bank I wouldn't use the mail system for it.
Wall of text about being surprised this has been like this for 3 years and exists in almost every mmorpg? Yeah QQ somewhere else and quit trolling me
Captain
# 124
05-23-2013, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeuxidemus001 View Post
Wall of text about being surprised this has been like this for 3 years and exists in almost every mmorpg? Yeah QQ somewhere else and quit trolling me
QQ I am not QQing I am looking at it from their side of the argument. However if it does turn out to be a bug as the mail system is messed up at the moment I won't complain and if it does turn out to be intended then I will have to adapt to it as will we all. What we need, and I haven't see it so if it is posted then point me to it, is confirmation one way or the other from some one at Cryptic.

I did say I think they need to put in some sort of DOFF storage into star bases as they need a lot of them to do the projects which to be fair should not be used to force people to buy more slots individually. If I personally wanted more DOFFs then yes I should pay for the extra slots.

I have not played alot of MMOs but the ones I have played do have limits on the mail system to stop it being used as extra storage space. That is what I was used to, so yes I was suprised it was unlimited when I came here. However just because something has been that way for a long time does not mean it will not be changed. After all look at the complaints about the change to the leadership trait.
Captain
# 125
05-23-2013, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by decronia View Post
They were effectively losing money because of this.
No they weren't. Because if we *COULD* buy extra doff slots to store the *540* daily required doffs, we might have: It's a hell of a lot less hassle than stashing them into your MAILBOX 5 at a time.

BUT WE CAN'T. Faced with the complete IMPOSSIBILITY of doing so, the only option left is to spam mule accounts to hold daily starbase food rations on.

Understand that we don't actually *WANT* to store thousands of doffs this way. The system FORCES it to be done this way because there is simply no alternative to keeping around thousands of doffs nobody actually personally wants!
Lt. Commander
# 126
05-23-2013, 05:15 AM
Wow!.... Another Ninja Nerf. <sigh>

Why was this not documented and published before release?

Many of my buddies who have played this game for years and years lost a ton of expensive stuff without warning. I have not being playing as long, so I am not personally impacted as much, but this release without warning is just awful.

To the people who want to argue that folks should have not used the mail this way, the point is being missed. This major change should have been widely published before release so players can make adjustments.

This Power Trip Nerfing has got to stop. Crytpic needs to stop knee jerking the MMO economy like this. You should make subtle changes and document/publish, not a major system change without notification before release.

Where is Branflakes, Stahl, and the dev team on this topic?
-
-
-
Locutus

Delirium Tremens
Tier 4 Starbase, Tier 3 Embassy
http://dtfleet.com/
Captain
# 127
05-23-2013, 07:02 AM
I'd like some official word on this .
STO will be out of Beta in another 2-4 years ???
... you know after another 3 story arc remasters, crafting revamp, skills revamp, PVP upgrade ...
*note : the 2-4 year guesstimate came out of comparing Cryptic's Dev speed and that of a snail . Sadly the snail won .
Captain
# 128
05-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Based on Bran's twitter, it looks like the 100 limit is here to stay.

However, items above and beyond the limit are apparently supposed to unspool progressively as you make room. So it sounds like any attachments aren't lost, just locked out until you clear space (once they resolve the deletion bug).
Ensign
# 129 it's true
05-23-2013, 08:27 AM
The email limit is intended, but being able to delete mail is not -- it was listed in our launch patch notes as a known issue.

STO twitter post

and one from Brandon himself "The mail was never intended to be an infinite amount of space "
Lieutenant
# 130
05-23-2013, 08:41 AM
This had better be a bug, because I have 8 alts that fund my mains for starbase projects and there is no way I have the time to search every alt to see if they have the doffs I need for a project for my mains, which is why I mail them out to myself, with a title description so I know what doff types they are.
Closed Thread