Commander
# 191
05-23-2013, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
You'de have to ask kirisee about that one, he only posted an excerpt from it and claimed it was posted by someone who caught the conversation on twitter. Bran SHOULD've posted it HERE, himself on the official STO forums. I have yet to find any post by him today with any details about the new attachment limit other than the repost by kirisee (about post 100 in this thread).

BTW, he's not a dev, he's the community manager (or something like that).
So, perhaps you're referring to the Twitter conversation thread at the start of this very forum thread then?

Not that it matters, as such an egregious change should have been addressed directly, right here, on the STO Forums.

Or, has STO outsourced their patch notes notices to Twitter????
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
methos71
Captain
# 192
05-23-2013, 10:21 PM
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...=699761&page=3

Quote:
I didn't know how they were supposedly handling the mail delete thing, but some poster in another thread posted Bran's Twitter feed (that i went and read) that basically said we should not lose our mail.

Hey, i'm not happy about this delete bug, so i'm not selling on the exchange until i know it's fixed....sure not going to risk losing an 80 or 90 mil ship lol
post #24

<edit> ya looks like the OP twitter link, I admit I didn't read it till now, but sheesh- stealth nerf, no patch notes, community manager knows all about it and says nothing on the forums.

Conspiracy ?
...or just a 'duh, I forgot to post the info' moment ?
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

Contact support @ https://support.perfectworld.com/app/ask
to show your displeasure over the stealth mail attachment nerf

Last edited by lordmalak1; 05-23-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Commander
# 193
05-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/sh...=699761&page=3

post #24

<edit> ya looks like the OP twitter link, I admit I didn't read it till now, but sheesh- stealth nerf, no patch notes, community manager knows all about it and says nothing on the forums.

Conspiracy ?
...or just a 'duh, I forgot to post the info' moment ?
I'm pretty much thinking that 'duh' is the least likely cause of all this, given that it's pretty clear, after checking out that OP twitter link, that said dev was all brimming with bluster and confidence about this whole mess, despite no formal declaration of the change here on the forums.

Am I missing out on something, or should we all be looking to Twitter for news of major game changes?
"Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
methos71
Captain
# 194
05-23-2013, 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Am I missing out on something, or should we all be looking to Twitter for news of major game changes?
It is odd that they communicate more information on another company's site than they do their own, isn't it? To be entirely honest, though, that is not an isolated practice. The main failing this particular company has in that regard is that they don't actually have their own Twitter feeds either replicated, re-posted or imported on their main page; Turbine was always good about that, though lacking in other areas (obviously, I'm here and not there).
Commander
# 195
05-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadandcircuses View Post
It is odd that they communicate more information on another company's site than they do their own, isn't it? To be entirely honest, though, that is not an isolated practice. The main failing this particular company has in that regard is that they don't actually have their own Twitter feeds either replicated, re-posted or imported on their main page; Turbine was always good about that, though lacking in other areas (obviously, I'm here and not there).
A curious point of order, to be sure Breadandcircuses. Yet, said point of order still doesn't address the sheer ineptitude of discussing such an un-officially announced change as the one we're debating here, right now, eh?

Where's some official word on the official game forum about a change to a system that's been in place since this game's inception, eh????!!!!!!!
methos71
Captain
# 196
05-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by kirisee
According to Bran it will not eat your attachments, as you take your attachments back and delete the mail, a new mail with attachment will be delivered, then claim that stuff and so on. (thats as long as the delete bug doesn't interfere with this and mail stay queued until the bug is fixedl).

question.. in what way does this take load off the system?
if its still storing your items.. even tho you cant access them.. they are still there???

seems illogical.

so what keeps you from emailing your items to yourself on another account?? you go over 100 they are still in the system.. just cant get them util you remove some..

again someone wasnt thinking straight and had too much time to mess something up that worked just fine.
[12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
[12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
Commander
# 197
05-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donutsmasher View Post
They are probably still too busy trying to work out why a whole lot of people haven't even been able to log in to the game yet. Or why the servers seem to like throwing SNR's all over the place.

Might be nice if they had more than one person to communicate on the forums though; I do feel rather sorry for Bran as he appears to be Cryptics one and only forum rep (not counting the actual forum moderators here btw) which in and of itself is something of a disgrace.

Come along Cryptic, get your ducks in a row and get your arses on here with some proper news please.
Oh Donutsmasher, don't feel sorry for Bran at all, I certainly don't; especially given that since I last posted my inquiry here, I discovered that Bran has known about this problem all along, but has preferred to talk about it on Twitter, rather than here, in these forums, where such notices properly belong.

And here: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/s...58776494321664
Would be your proof of that.

Though yes indeed Breadandcircuses, I couldn't agree with you more that Cryptic ought 'get their duck in a row and their arses on here with some proper news please!
methos71
Career Officer
# 198
05-23-2013, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by methos71 View Post
Oh Donutsmasher, don't feel sorry for Bran at all, I certainly don't; especially given that since I last posted my inquiry here, I discovered that Bran has known about this problem all along, but has preferred to talk about it on Twitter, rather than here, in these forums, where such notices properly belong.

And here: https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/s...58776494321664
Would be your proof of that.

Though yes indeed Breadandcircuses, I couldn't agree with you more that Cryptic ought 'get their duck in a row and their arses on here with some proper news please!

OK, I no longer feel sorry for him.

EDIT: Just to expand on this a little, I have to say that was a disgusting move by Cryptic. There was no announcement in the patch notes, no warning of any kind aside from the "Oops we tried to (insert rude word) over the only real method anyone has of storing DOFFS and we broke stuff in the process" note from the second set of LOR patch notes.

To then go to a completely unrelated website and quietly and sneakily admit to this drastic change there, instead of in the one place that the majority of players are likely to look for answers shows an astounding level of contempt for the consumers of this product, paying or otherwise.

I have seen this kind of behavior before and it very nearly brought the game and the company to a crashing halt. This sort of attitude is a slippery slope Cryptic, and if you don't want to heed my words, go and speak with the CEO of CCP games. He thought it would be a good idea to treat his customers like mushrooms (keep them in the dark and feed them bull), until his customers firmly reminded him that they were the reason he got a paycheck. Perhaps you should think about that.

Last edited by donutsmasher; 05-23-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Empire Veteran
# 199
05-23-2013, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Accolade achieved: "Feel No Sorry For Him"
How to really behave in online forums with developers

Commander
# 200
05-24-2013, 12:10 AM
Quote:

EDIT: Just to expand on this a little, I have to say that was a disgusting move by Cryptic. There was no announcement in the patch notes, no warning of any kind aside from the "Oops we tried to (insert rude word) over the only real method anyone has of storing DOFFS and we broke stuff in the process" note from the second set of LOR patch notes.

To then go to a completely unrelated website and quietly and sneakily admit to this drastic change there, instead of in the one place that the majority of players are likely to look for answers shows an astounding level of contempt for the consumers of this product, paying or otherwise.

I have seen this kind of behavior before and it very nearly brought the game and the company to a crashing halt. This sort of attitude is a slippery slope Cryptic, and if you don't want to heed my words, go and speak with the CEO of CCP games. He thought it would be a good idea to treat his customers like mushrooms (keep them in the dark and feed them bull), until his customers firmly reminded him that they were the reason he got a paycheck. Perhaps you should think about that.
Spot on, yet again, Donutsmasher! Thing that kills me about all this nonsense, is that the likes of you and I and other regular Forum readers have properly caught on to this sort of nonsense, pointedly with regard to this latest and needless issue.

Yet, it's become increasingly evident to me that STO's devs have been counting on all the 'look, we've given you tons of new shiny stuff' bit, to distract most players from changes to the fundamental structure of this game, that were established three years ago, with this game's inception.

Thing that kills me is that it's pretty clear that line of reasoning has been proven true and it might be a while before this stealth change becomes apparent to the veteran playerbase at large.

But ya know what, I encourage ya all to remain as persistent as I've been about spilling liquid into the winds. After all, it should be pretty clear that eventually we're all gonna spill enough liquid to a point where this dam is gonna break.
methos71
Closed Thread