Rihannsu
# 271
05-24-2013, 04:44 PM
I don't like the fact that they Ninja Nerfed Mail Storage.

Especially since regular storage is so limited. I've purchased all I can. And I'm still low for physical items, to say nothing of the "needed" space for things like BOffs with special traits, or DOffs.

Please change it back, Cryptic.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Original Join Date: Feb 2010.
Need Help with Ship's Power? Check out my Ship Power Guide and Calculator.
Lt. Commander
# 272
05-24-2013, 06:33 PM
Shame on Cryptic for making this a stealth nerf. If you're going to nerf something this important, put it in the patch notes. Players always find out, and then you just look bad for hiding it in the first place.

Now, I'd like to offer a constructive analysis of the situation. The reason so many players use the mail system to store excess DOffs is because of the DOff distribution problem with fleet starbases. I farm DOff recruitments heavily because I am the ONLY person in my fleet actively contributing significant numbers of DOffs to the starbase. However, because of the inequality in the random distribution of DOffs vs the requirements for starbase projects, I end up with thousands, yes, THOUSANDS of excess science and tactical DOffs. Since they're worth nothing on the Exchange, and there are the occasional projects I can run that use just these, I save all these so I can fill up those projects instantly. The core problem here is that starbases require far fewer science and tactical DOffs than are randomly created, and far more security and medical DOffs than are randomly created.

Yes, using mail as storage is silly and is borderline exploitative. We shouldn't do it, but we shouldn't HAVE to do it because of poorly balanced mechanics. I would be 100% in support of a mail item attachment limit if you simultaneously fixed the DOff distribution problem. Don't nerf mail attachments, which players are simply using as a workaround to this imbalanced mechanic, until you've fixed the reason players are flooding the mail system with thousands of DOffs in the first place.

A fairly simple change has already been proposed. Instead of requiring 30 tactical and 30 security DOffs for the most common starbase projects, change the requirement to 60 tactical or security DOffs. Players will quickly eat through their thousands of stored tactical and science DOffs in a couple weeks, and we will no longer have a reason to keep flooding the mail system with DOffs. Do this, and I predict most players will be okay with a mail attachment limit (though the OP's concerns about trolling by flooding someone's mail with worthless attachments is still legitimate).
Empire Veteran
# 273
05-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Just to recap:

The nerf is intentional and is account wide (meaning no more than 100 stacks in mailbox, in total)

Most of us agree that the magic mail was exploitative; however we had no viable alternative since the starbase doff problem has been ignored for months and getting worse (even more now since this stealth nerf).

Mailbox spamming another player is a concern, however mail from non-friends and fleet can be blocked.

Cryptic reports that returned exchange items will eventually make it to you even if you are at the cap. However I am skeptical given that mails containing items that are accidentally deleted aren't returned to you despite the tool-tip that says otherwise.

Lots of us have taken issue that this wasn't addressed in the patch notes and the only response from Cryptic is from a 3rd-party service saying to buy more slots. This comes off as both contemptuous and naive of the actual players and how they are playing the game.

Remember Cryptic, if a large segment of the player-base is using an exploit; its because you've failed to address an issue somewhere or because the game is more enjoyable with the exploit or because not performing the exploit would put the individual player at a significant disadvantage.
Captain
# 274
05-24-2013, 07:28 PM
you guys are laughing and joking saying this is no big deal well it is..

all day log i been getting emails saying my echange item has expired.. yet there is no attachment. even if i go to a mail station..

now do i delete these emails? will i get new ones someday?

i have many many many expensive items in the EX on multiple characters.. lock box ships. contraband in stacks.. acc2-3 weapons..

i buy items and resell them at a higher price.. there are prices i wont go under so if the market is bad those items dont sell.. they do eventually tho.. someday..

i have about 100m tied up right now in inventory. if it doesnt get returned to me, what then?
[12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
[12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
Career Officer
# 275
05-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Yes, they snuck this right in, didnt they?
Mail is broken right now too; can't delete messages.

If players have too much mail in the box it's because Cryptic is not giving players enough space. Only 10 Boffs on your 'bench' is not enough.

AND lower the price of the doff grinder and I won't have to store them in the mail. I'll go grind them for a better one like I used to instead of sitting on them for the chance at fleet donation.
Sometimes I think I play STO just to have stuff to rant about on the forums!

Lieutenant
# 276
05-24-2013, 08:22 PM
At this this point it is no surprise the extent cryptic will go to cripple a game, or try to get money out of people, even if they can't get anymore out of people.

It's a shame that they have to continue nerfing already established systems that have been in place since the game was launched just to justify a few extra sale out of the few that will by that can still buy

And for what to piss off the majority of the player base yet again.

I am about at my wits end I keep throwing time and money at them but their greed is unending and being punished for trying to support my fleet is BS.
Lieutenant
# 277
05-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Ok this patch has been an absolute disaster for me. The chronic instability has limited my ability to play and now I run into this unannounced "feature" has dramatically changed how I play the game. Doff storage is a nightmare and necessary for those advancing a starbase which demands doffs like a fat guy eats cake. You open hundreds of packs and have to sort what is needed now and what is needed later. Four hundred doff slots is far too few for serious doffers to both use for projects and to store for starbase builders.

Switching accounts is a pain in the ass already and I am not playing the game to spend all my time jumping from account to account as needed. This game has already made things difficult for doffing due to poor design for storage and this change just may kill it. Doffing is the one area where I felt I can contribute and this change makes the game feel more like a job if I am forced to switch and manage accounts to sort and find what I need. I could care less about the new content if it forces me to work ten times harder to help advance the fleet. When a game starts to feel like work, I tend to leave for greener pastures.

If this is some crude method to facilitate storage sales then I will probably have to say goodbye. I don't respond to gimmicks to make me buy something that was a core feature. I can take my money and time elsewhere. Doffing/Starbase construction is the one thing that has kept me involved in STO and these changes have killed that aspect for me if there isn't a suitible replacement for what the mail was allowing in terms of doff/item storage. This change has made me sick and has me incredibly frustrated unable to enjoy anything else with this additional content.

Last edited by daedalus27; 05-24-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Career Officer
# 278
05-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Has there been any Dev/Community Manager response to this issue? While I don't have anywhere near the amount of stuff in the mail as some others do, I haven't been able to delete any mail at all since LOR went live.
Captain
# 279
05-24-2013, 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracounguis View Post
Yes, they snuck this right in, didnt they?
Mail is broken right now too; can't delete messages.

If players have too much mail in the box it's because Cryptic is not giving players enough space. Only 10 Boffs on your 'bench' is not enough.

AND lower the price of the doff grinder and I won't have to store them in the mail. I'll go grind them for a better one like I used to instead of sitting on them for the chance at fleet donation.
Very right. I bet almost no one uses the option to turn in 5 blues or greens for a better doff since they hiked up the dil price to a level no one in their right mind would pay since you're not even guaranteed a resolve trait doff for that much dil.
Captain
# 280
05-24-2013, 11:17 PM
that doff grinder was a very greedy move on their part..

who is going to pay so much to turn 5 whites into a green, then pay more to turn 5 greens in to a blue, and by the time you turn in 5 blues to get a purple you have spent like 20k dil for one purple doff that is random.
[12:35] Vessel Two of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 225232 (271723) Plasma Damage to you with Plasma Lance.
[12:44] Vessel One of Two Unimatrix 01 deals 1019527 (1157678) Kinetic Damage to you with Plasma Energy Bolt Explosion.
Closed Thread