Captain
# 411
06-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syberghost View Post
I'm surprised. Some of you have been here long enough to remember what they did last time the mail system was getting into this state; they purged people's mail.

How quickly folks forget.
I honestly don't remember anything like this. And even if my memory is faulty, I don't think there's anywhere that any rule explicitly states "Thou shalt not store items in the mail system." If there is, I would like to see it, because I have TONS of BOffs that I got from DOff missions or wherever, and I simply don't have room for them in my inventory (let alone the laughably small 12-BO storage in the roster). I also don't really see much point in selling blue BOffs on the exchange, since they tend to go for super cheap.
Commander
# 412
06-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
I'm surprised. Some of you have been here long enough to remember what they did last time the mail system was getting into this state; they purged people's mail.

How quickly folks forget.
If an ISP with unlimited serverside email storage purged it because people were using it to store files that they had no room on their hard drive for, what do you think would happen?

Cryptic doing that would be even worse in a way, because as so many people have correctly pointed out, cryptic itself caused the main underlying issue with the unbalanced distribution from doff packs. I could easily see that resulting in people reversing charges due to losing items they paid real money for.
Career Officer
# 413
06-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Quote:
This wasn't a stealth nerf; this was emergency maintenance. The mail system was being broken, and that breaking was affecting other things.

And those of you who were abusing the mail system for free item storage KNEW you were doing something unintended, and thus knew eventually the free ride would come to a stop. There is an easy solution to the "problem" of having too many white doffs:

Lower your Exchange prices for them. They'll sell, prices will come down, and people won't feel the need to store them anymore because they'll be plentiful in the Exchange. Put the EC in your fleet bank, and let your officers use it to buy the doffs they need for the fleet projects. Or keep the EC yourself, and buy the doffs for your fleet.

This will work if there's a limit on storage, which there now is. Now the market needs to adjust, which will take time. It'll take less time if you help it instead of fighting it.
Please may I direct your attention to the features matrix that specifies gold members unlimited access to in game mail, if you would be so kind to redirect me to a link that defines unlimited. In the dictionary to 100 I will gladly amend the post appropriately but to me. 100 seems like a limit.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/about/fr...eatures-matrix
Rihannsu
# 414
06-04-2013, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjaneway View Post
Please may I direct your attention to the features matrix that specifies gold members unlimited access to in game mail, if you would be so kind to redirect me to a link that defines unlimited. In the dictionary to 100 I will gladly amend the post appropriately but to me. 100 seems like a limit.

Unlimited often means 'We don't actually expect you to use TOO MUCH', see telco's unlimited data for an example.

In any case...
Captain
# 415
06-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koihimenakamura View Post
Unlimited often means 'We don't actually expect you to use TOO MUCH', see telco's unlimited data for an example.

In any case...
There has always been an attachment limit but few have reached that limit. This new limit is 4% of the old limit but nobody in an official capacity will admit that anything was changed, so we have no way to start a meaningful conversation about it, nor have any recourse if we lose everything.

...But a purge of the mail will start a chain reaction Cryptic may not recover from.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Republic Veteran
# 416
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by williamjaneway View Post

Please, may I .. redirect your attention *back* to the Features Matrix...

If you actually read the portion on "Unlimited Mail" you'd have noticed the "limit" isn't in regard to how many emails you can house, but rather who you can mail to.

You (and others) have been knowingly (or unknowingly) taking advantage of an unintended benefit of code the mail system had. They have now "plugged the hole" on that "exploit".

Also, take note of the bottom of the matrix list where it explicitly states, "NOTE: Subject to Change."

Jolan'tru
Career Officer
# 417
06-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koihimenakamura View Post

In any case...
I appreciate the unlimited ' fair usage' policy but the former 500 mails 2500 items was the fair usage data package. This current option is the 'basic no frills' package.

And again if they implement this then surely that should be the silver option and the original option should be gold members. Thus encouraging subscribers that benefit from that feature. Win win for users and cryptic.

I will echo other posts. The intentional lack of publicising and recognising this change is poor management. Customers, paying or otherwise should be treated with dignity respect and courtesy otherwise they no longer stay customers. There are people paid to monitor these forums and keep in touch with the user base. They should seek the information from whoever the appropriate person is and feed that back to us, head in the sand attitude or dictatorship attitude is poor business practice.

Once the 'delete' mail issue is fixed the limit won't affect me but that said I don't agree with the change. It's restricting the game to other users and taking out another area of enjoyment, this is a game, not a career. Unfortunately they nerf things to force you into career mode. And to prolong achievements and progression.
Captain
# 418
06-04-2013, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonheld View Post

If you actually read the portion on "Unlimited Mail" you'd have noticed the "limit" isn't in regard to how many emails you can house, but rather who you can mail to.

You (and others) have been knowingly (or unknowingly) taking advantage of an unintended benefit of code the mail system had. They have now "plugged the hole" on that "exploit".

Also, take note of the bottom of the matrix list where it explicitly states, "NOTE: Subject to Change."

Jolan'tru
You seem to be under the mistaken notion that our use of the mail system somehow affects your gameplay. If you quit drinking their kool-aid for a second and think about how e-mail attachments actually work you'll realize the attachment limit has nothing at all to do with game or server performance and is only a way to channel users into another pay-to-use system authored by your game creators.
KBF Lord MalaK
Awoken Dead

You're gonna upgrade my Chel Grett for FREE but charge me $30 to upgrade my Kamarag ?
Career Officer
# 419
06-04-2013, 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonheld View Post

Jolan'tru
The subject to change is anything with the [?] in game mail is not one of them for gold members and if you look at the exemptions on the limited access, having any of those exemptions puts you under the gold mail category. Yes it doesn't specify anything further to item limits. Hence why it should be assumed under fair usage there arnt any restricted limits

I will also point out my mail isn't used for excessive storage as knowingly or unknowingly exploiting. Again with the exploiting. What states that this is an unintended benefit, they may have plugged a hole, but not due to it being an exploit but a shift in the way thy want to operate the mail, it doesn't mean the previous system is an exploit it merely means some manager has made the decision to change the process, in this case not positively and obviously causing some players to suffer.

Ill give an example, you currently can wear any shoes to work you like, for the last 5 years, you get a new boss and they specify thst all staff wear black smart shoes at all time, does that mean you have been exploiting your opportunity to wear any type/colour of shoe previously, of course not, it just means there's been a policy shift through a management decision.

Sometimes things change knowingly for the better/worse, sometimes unknowingly and sometimes because the person making the decision has no idea how that decision makes an impact and thus cannot weigh up proportional options. And either way doesn't care.
Republic Veteran
# 420
06-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmalak1 View Post
You seem to be under the mistaken notion that our use of the mail system somehow affects your gameplay. If you quit drinking their kool-aid for a second and think about how e-mail attachments actually work you'll realize the attachment limit has nothing at all to do with game or server performance and is only a way to channel users into another pay-to-use system authored by your game creators.

This is most likely completely true. However, it's their game. It's their rules. They have disclaimers all over the place basically telling you "if you don't like it, tough tukkis."

The mail issue is something the powers-that-be feel is an exploit. They've plugged the hole.

How is any of that supposed to be take in a way you feel I'm "drinking the koolaid"? If anyone is under any unreal expectation on them reverting things back the way they were, it isn't me.

Jolan'tru
Closed Thread